1st-Level Monster Conversions

the Jester

Legend
Re: the Corollax

Tallarn said:
I'd possibly suggest that the distorting halo is made an encounter power, perhaps with a recharge otherwise this little guy is going to be almost impossible to kill!

Well, keep in mind that it can only use it once per round, and it has half the normal hp for a creature of its level and role. Does that change your opinion at all, or do you still think I should turn it down a notch? (Also bear in mind its exceptionally low damage.)

the Jester said:
As to guidelines- I'm shooting from the hip here, I have to admit. I'm just trying to bear in mind that certain effects/conditions are clearly "worth more" than others- stunned is worse than dazed, for example- and I'm just trying to make fun to fight, easy to run cool monsters. :)
It would really have been nice if the DMG listed the range of monster levels associated with various produced conditions and some rough ideas on how such powers might lower scores to compensate. Not that they're following hard and fast rules but I'm sure they evolved some rules of thumb they could have shared. Ah well, I'm hoping eventually someone in the fan community will be obsessive enough to go through the MM, tabulate, and infer such heuristics for us :)

gamesmeister

Explorer
the Jester said:
BLACK SCORPTION--- Level 1 Brute
Medium natural beast--- XP 100
---
Initiative +0; Senses Perception +1, tremorsense 5
HP 36; Bloodied 18
AC 13; Fortitude 16; Reflex 12; Will 12
Speed 6
---
[Melee basic] Claws (standard; at will): +6 vs. AC; 2d6+3 damage and a medium or smaller target is grabbed (escape ends).

[Melee] Sting
(minor; against a grabbed target; recharge 4 5 6) Poison: +4 vs. Fort; 1d10+3 poison damage and ongoing 5 poison (save ends).
---
Alignment unaligned; Languages -
Str 19; Dex 11; Wis 13
Con 16; Int 2; Cha 10

This is a nice conversion, but the damage is *way* too high for a level 1 creature - if it hits with both (not that difficult), it will do an average of 19pts of damage, plus 5 at the start of the target's next round unless he gets an early save. 24 pts from a single attack is too much at this level. Nice abilities though. :)

the Jester

Legend
gamesmeister said:
This is a nice conversion, but the damage is *way* too high for a level 1 creature - if it hits with both (not that difficult), it will do an average of 19pts of damage, plus 5 at the start of the target's next round unless he gets an early save. 24 pts from a single attack is too much at this level. Nice abilities though. :)

Bear in mind that the sting damage should technically come from the "limited damage expression" table- though prolly the low end.

I think that the real issue is actually on its attack bonus. I think I started with it as a soldier and switched to brute, but never corrected the attack bonuses. I will do that sometime tonight, and take another look- but I seem to recall debating whether the damage this guy dealt was too low for a 1st level brute.

(As I said, I'll double check tonight once I'm at home with my books.)

snotling

Explorer
Doug - I started writing up a thing on bullywugs and was wondering if I can include this. feel free to email me (snotling at gmail) and I'll be happy to discuss what I am working on.

-snotling

Doug McCrae said:
Here are my bullywugs -

Bullywug Swampleaper Level 1 Skirmisher
Medium natural humanoid XP 100
Initiative +4 Senses Perception +0;
HP 30; Bloodied 15
AC 15; Fortitude 14, Reflex 15, Will 12;
Speed 6 (swamp walk), swim 6

:bmelee: Spear (standard; at-will) ✦ Weapon
+6 vs. AC; 1d8+3 damage
Hop (move; encounter)
The bullywug shifts 6 squares.
Hopping Charge
The bullywug deals an extra 1d6 damage when charging.

Alignment Evil Languages Common
Skills Athletics +6 (+11 jumping), Stealth +8
Str 13 (+1) Dex 16 (+3) Wis 10 (+0)
Con 14 (+2) Int 8 (-1) Cha 6 (-2)
Equipment: hide armor, spear

Bullywug Spearcarrier Level 1 Minion
Medium natural humanoid XP 25
Initiative +2 Senses Perception +0;
HP 1; a missed attack never damages a minion.
AC 15; Fortitude 14, Reflex 15, Will 12;
Speed 6 (swamp walk), swim 6

:bmelee: Spear (standard; at-will) ✦ Weapon
+6 vs. AC; 4 damage (6 damage when charging)

Alignment Evil Languages Common
Str 13 (+1) Dex 16 (+3) Wis 10 (+0)
Con 14 (+2) Int 8 (-1) Cha 6 (-2)
Equipment: hide armor, spear

zerotkatama

First Post
How does this look? It's the Death Dog from the 3e Fiend Folio, converted cause I'm running Shut-in (from Dungeon #128) converted to 4e, and one of the encounters features a Death Dog.

Code:
[b]Death Dog	Level 1 Elite Skirmisher[/b]
Medium Natural Magical Beast			XP 200
Initative +4	Senses Perception +6; Low-light vision
HP 60 Bloodied 30
AC 17, Fortitude 15, Reflex 15, Will 12
Saving Throws +2
Speed 8
Action Points 1
(Basic Melee) Bite (standard, at will)
   +6 vs. AC; 1d6+2 damage; 2d6+2 damage against a prone target
(Melee) High and Low (standard, at will) 
   2 attacks against one target, +4 vs. Fort; 1d6+2 damage. If 
  both attacks hit,  the target is knocked prone.
Worry Prey (Free)
  When adjacent to a prone enemy at the end of its turn, the 
  death  dog may make a bite attack against that enemy
Alignment Unaligned    Languages -
Str 12 (+1)   Dex 14 (+2)   Wis 13 (+1)
Con 14 (+2) Int 4 (-3)	   Cha 10 (+0)

Last edited:

bardolph

First Post
the Jester said:
DIRE SQUIRREL NUTHUCKER--- Level 1 Artillery
Small natural beast--- XP 100
---
Initiative +4; Senses Perception +2
HP 25; Bloodied 12
AC 13; Fortitude 13; Reflex 15; Will 14
Speed 6, climb 4
---
[Melee basic] Bite (standard; at will): +8 vs. AC; 1d6 damage.

[Ranged Basic] Huck Nut (standard; at will): Range 5/10, +8 vs. AC, 1d6+4 damage.

[Ranged] Nut Barrage (standard; recharge 5 6): Range 5; targets three adjacent creatures; +6 vs. Reflex; 2d6+3 damage.
---
Skills Athletics +4
Str 9; Dex 18; Wis 15
Con 13; Int 2; Cha 6

DIRE SQUIRREL PRANKSTER--- Level 1 Skirmisher
Small natural beast--- XP 100
---
Initiative +4; Senses Perception +2
HP 29; Bloodied 14
AC 15; Fortitude 12; Reflex 20; Will 14
Speed 6
---
[Melee basic] Bite (standard; at will): +6 vs. AC; 1d6+3 damage.

Scampering Trick (minor; encounter): The dire squirrel prankster shifts 6 squares. It must become adjacent to, and then move away from, a target during this shift. The prankster makes an attack on that target: +4 vs. Will; Hit: the target falls prone.

Squirrel’s Cowardice (immediate reaction; upon becoming bloodied; only if it can end with no enemies adjacent to it): The dire squirrel prankster shifts up to 2 squares.
---
Skills Athletics +6
Str 13; Dex 18; Wis 15
Con 13; Int 2; Cha 6

MEGALOSQUIRREL--- Level 20 Skirmisher
Gargantuan natural beast--- XP 11,200
---
Initiative +19; Senses Perception +19
HP 185; Bloodied 92
AC 33; Fortitude 32; Reflex 36; Will 32
Speed 8, climb 6
---
[Melee basic] Bite (standard; at will): Reach 2; +25 vs. AC; 3d6+8 damage, plus grab (until escape) and see Cheek-Stuff.

Cheek-Stuff (minor; at will; only when it has a target grabbed): +23 vs. Reflex; target is shoved in the megalosquirrel’s cheek and is dazed and restrained (save ends, -3 penalty). The megalosquirrel can cheek-stuff up to two large, four medium or eight small or smaller creatures at one time.

[Ranged] Huck a Rock (standard; at will): Range 15/30; +25 vs. AC; 3d6+8 damage and followup attack: +23 vs. Reflex; Hit: target is knocked prone.

[Ranged] Scampering Rampage (standard, encounter): The megalosquirrel shifts its speed. It may pass through enemy spaces during this move. It must end its move in unoccupied space. It attacks each enemy whose space it passes through once: +23 vs. Fortitude; Hit: 4d12+7 damage and the target is pushed 3 squares and knocked prone; Miss: half damage and the target is neither pushed nor knocked prone.
---
Skills Athletics +6
Str 23; Dex 28; Wis 23
Con 17; Int 2; Cha 15

Holy crap. The. Nuthucker. Is. The. Best. Monster. Ever.

Lemme guess: Megalosquirrel costs one green and three colorless mana...

the Jester

Legend
bardolph said:
Holy crap. The. Nuthucker. Is. The. Best. Monster. Ever.

Lemme guess: Megalosquirrel costs one green and three colorless mana...

Lol, hell no, more like two green and three... 6/4 trample or something...

In 3e it was (iirc) CR 16, to give you an idea.

bardolph

First Post
Lol, hell no, more like two green and three... 6/4 trample or something...

In 3e it was (iirc) CR 16, to give you an idea.

I was thinking:

might_of_oaks.jpg

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases