1st-Level Monster Conversions

Orius

Legend
DIRE SQUIRREL NUTHUCKER--- Level 1 Artillery

DIRE SQUIRREL PRANKSTER--- Level 1 Skirmisher

MEGALOSQUIRREL--- Level 20 Skirmisher

While we're on thhe subject of squirrels, toss in the kercpa for level 1 as well. That's in either MCA 3 or 4, originally from Dragon Magazine (I think a 1995 issue).

the Jester

Legend
EDIT: Revised version, with additional stat blocks, is below, here.

KERCPA

Kercpa (singular and plural) are small, squirrel-like humanoids. Intelligent and curious, they are friendly but notorious for stealing small items. Most kercpa live in forests in the wilds of the world, but they can be found anywhere that squirrels can be found. In recent decades, several tribes of kercpa have migrated into the Feywild.

KERCPA TREEHOPPER--- Level 1 Skirmisher
Tiny natural humanoid--- XP 100
---
Initiative +6; Senses Perception +2
HP 28; Bloodied 14
AC 15; Fortitude 12; Reflex 15; Will 14
Resist 5 effects that target Reflex
Speed 5, climb 6
---
[Melee basic] Tiny Sword (standard; at will) Weapon: Must enter opponent’s square to attack (provoking opportunity attacks); +6 vs. AC; 1d4 damage (plus see Combat Advantage).

[Melee] Scampering Strike (standard; at will) Weapon: The kercpa shifts 3 squares, ending in the target’s square without provoking an opportunity attack, and makes an attack. +4 vs. Will; Hit: the kercpa gains combat advantage against the target; Effect: the kercpa makes a melee basic attack against the target.

[Ranged basic] Squirrel Bow (standard; at will) Weapon: Range 5/10; +6 vs. AC; 1d6 damage (plus see Combat Advantage).

Scampering Shift (move; at will): The kercpa shifts 3 squares. It may freely move through other creatures’ space while doing so, but must end its shift in an unoccupied space.

Combat Advantage: A kercpa deals an extra 1d6 points of damage when it has combat advantage.
---
Alignment unaligned; Languages Common, Kercpa
Skills Acrobatics +9, Stealth +9
Str 4; Dex 18; Wis 15
Con 12; Int 13; Cha 15
---
Equipment tiny sword, squirrel bow, 20 tiny arrows

KERCPA ARCHER--- Level 1 Artillery
Tiny natural humanoid--- XP 100
---
Initiative +4; Senses Perception +2
HP 24; Bloodied 12
AC 13; Fortitude 12; Reflex 15; Will 14
Resist 5 effects that target Reflex
Speed 5, climb 6
---
[Ranged basic] Squirrel Bow (standard; at will) Weapon: Range 5/10; +6 vs. AC; 1d6 damage (1d6+4 if the target has another kercpa in its space).

[Ranged] Rain of Tiny Thorns
(standard; recharge 5 6) Weapon: The kercpa archer makes three ranged basic attacks.

Scampering Shift (move; at will): The kercpa shifts 3 squares. It may freely move through other creatures’ space while doing so, but must end its shift in an unoccupied space.
---
Alignment unaligned; Languages Common, Kercpa
Skills Acrobatics +9, Stealth +9
Str 3; Dex 18; Wis 15
Con 12; Int 13; Cha 11
---
Equipment squirrel bow, 20 tiny arrows

Last edited:

Szatany

First Post
About those elementals...

Since 4e doesn't really have the classical "small air elemental, etc.", can anyone think of any specific 1st-level appropriate elemental creatures?

I will give it a shot.

SCORCHER --- Level 1 Solo Brute
Large elemental beast --- XP 500
---
Initiative +1; Senses Perception +0
HP 92; Bloodied 46
AC 15; Fortitude 16; Reflex 16; Will 13
Saving throws +5
Immune: disease, poison; Resist 10 fire, 10 lightning
Speed 5
Action Points 2
---
:bmelee: Lightning Lick (standard; at will) - Lightning
Reach 2; +6 vs. AC; 1d6+3 lightning damage.
:close: Scorching Wave (standard; recharge 5, 6) – Fire
Close burst 2; +4 vs. Reflex; 2d6+3 fire damage. Miss: Half damage.
:close: Bloodlava Splash (immediate reaction, when first bloodied) - Fire
Close burst 2: +6 vs. AC; 2d8+3 fire damage and a -2 penalty to AC (save ends).
Shower of Sparks - Conjuration
Whenever a scorcher is hit and takes 5 or more damage, it creates a sparkling on any unoccupied square within 5 squares. Sparkling’s initiative is equal to scorcher’s initiative -5.
Sparklings last until the end of an encounter, for five minutes, or until the scorcher is slain, whichever comes first.
---
Alignment: unaligned; Languages -
Skills: -
Str 16 (+3); Dex 13 (+1); Wis 10 (+0)
Con 13 (+1); Int 10 (+0); Cha 10 (+0)

Scorcher looks like a worm the size of a cow made of flames, black smoke, and crackling electrical bolts.

--------------------------------

Sparkling --- Level 1 Minion
Small elemental beast --- XP special
---
Initiative special; Senses Perception +5
HP 1; a missed attack never damages a minion.
AC 15; Fortitude 13, Reflex 15, Will 12
Immune: disease, poison; Resist 5 fire, 5 lightning
Speed 6
---
:ranged: Thunderbolt (standard; at-will)
Ranged 10; +6 vs. AC; 3 lightning damage and sparkling can shift 1 square.
---
Alignment Unaligned; Languages
Str 12 (+1); Dex 17 (+3); Wis 10 (+0)
Con 12 (+1): Int 8 (–1); Cha 6 (–2)

Sparklings resemble small orbs of electricity dancing on 3 long legs mage of bright lightning.

Sparkling’s XP value is part of the Scorcher’s XP value. When a sparkling is created, it’s initiative isn’t rolled but instead it’s equal to its scorcher’s initiative -5. It can act immediately when it’s time comes up in the initiative order.

redrover

First Post
Side Note: BTW, the best Al-Mi’raj encounter I’ve heard of was a tiny Wild Hunt in which they were mounts for Grigs.

Level 1 Monster Suggestions:

Jermlaine (no Underdark is complete without them)
Bookworm (more of a trap than a monster, per se)

Bat, carnivorous, swarm + swarms of other types, say, scarab beetles (for mummy tombs).

Animal Skeletons (Small): Might be a template.

Raven Messenger Not a combat encounter, but an incident. The message might not be for the party, or it might. It might be an important clue, irrelevant, or perhaps a red herring. A small XP award is gained if you handle the message appropriately (follow it, file it, pitch it). You blow the encounter if you kill the messenger. Frequency should be no more common than 1 in 20, though.

I could even see occasionally breaking the fourth wall with this: If someone is within a few points of leveling – “message from the DM: ‘Ding! Enjoy your new level’”

Mule Yeah, I know about dwarves, but this is a sentimental favorite. Required details include a purchase cost and tack details (bit/bridal, saddle option, saddlebags/panniers and their costs, weights, and load capacities). Mule loading must be given, and mules should get the dwarf “Encumbered Speed” trait. Note that mules can be hobbled and tend to stay in one place, so you can leave them on their own for a short time. Also note they can negotiate dungeon stairs and narrow ledges (Surefooted trait).

You might take a look at the lowest level Gingwatzim (the Tim?)

Here’s a druid power I’ve posted elsewhere:

Gnat Swarm: Ranged power, one target (or maybe 0-1-2 area by Tier). Opponent takes small damage from it each turn (2/6/10) unless he burns his standard action defending against it (*shoo!*). (The druid must use a minor action to sustain it, but there’s no reason this can’t be a free-standing effect as well.)

While the power is stationary, a monster version should move about 3, so you can outrun it in good terrain, but if you’re slowed or in rough, it can catch up. The swarm is not intelligent, so it won’t ever double-move. They might be effectively invisible until you enter their square (or vice versa), and they might be able to sense and track warm-blooded creatures within, say, 20 squares. Maybe dense smoke or 5 points of fire damage might disperse the monster version – a fire critical of any sort or a gust-of-wind spell effect might also get rid of them.

Pixie Trickster (not a combat encounter, but a prank, clue, or minor aid if you negotiate. Maybe as per Jack Vance’s Cugel, the ability to curse you if you kill it.)

Leeches, disease-carrying (more of a trap).
(Giant leeches might be higher level.)

Elemental Minions
You might look into water/fire Manikins—one-foot humanoid elemental types, possibly minions, that show up in small packs. Maybe even summoned by an “Elemental Servant” power much like “Unseen Servant” or ”Summon Monster 1” from earlier editions.

For fire, you might just use a dancing flame of some sort. Immune to weapons, vulnerable to water. Fire damage adds temporary hit points. Invisible in flame bigger than it is. Tiny size, about like a torch flame.

For water, you might use a water-weird-like version of the throat leech. (a Guulph?) You can spit it out on a save. It’s vulnerable to fire, invisible in a larger body of water, and so on. Tiny size.

Also in the spirit of 1e

Bandits/Footpads, Human minions. Basically thug/rogue types in leather. Footpads would be uncommonly stealthy and maybe get a basic backstab. In 4e, these should probably be pegged about Level 2, along with Human Rabble.

Just for comparison, I dug out the OD&D Greyhawk Supplement encounter list:

[Level] 1
Kobolds
Goblins
Orcs
Skeletons
Giant Rats
Centipedes
Bandits/Berserkers
Spiders
Stirges
Footpads
Dwarves/Elves
Gelatinous Cube

However, the GC seems a wee bit tougher than 1st level in 4e.

The scaling in 4e suggest that only creatures in the ½-Hit Die range or less should be considered for a 1st-level monster list (these used to be called level-0 monsters). Even tribal goblins (previously at 1-1 HD) seemed pegged at Level 2 for the warriors.

All of these may be enough. After 8-9 encounters, who needs 1st-level monsters anymore?

When you get to your Level 2-3 list, I would suggest:

FLIGHTGAUNT SKELETON---Level 2 Minion
Medium natural animate (undead) --- XP 31
---
Initiative +6; Senses Perception +3
HP 1; a missed attack never damages a minion
AC 17; Fortitude 14; Reflex 15; Will 14

Immune disease, poison
Speed 2 (clumsy); fly10
---
Boney Hands (standard; at-will)
+8 vs. AC; 5 damage

Flyby Attack(standard; at-will):
The flightgaunt skeleton flies up to 10 squares and makes one basic melee attack at any point during that movement. The skeleton doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity when moving away from the target of the attack.

Alignment: unaligned; Languages -

Str 15 (+3); Dex 17 (+4); Wis14 (+3)
Con 15 (+3); Int 3 (–3); Cha 10 (+0)

Equipment: None.

Flightgaunt skeletons do not have feet and may not have legs. They are usually wrapped in tattered winding sheets that flap or flutter as they fly.

FLIGHTGAUNT SKELETON TACTICS
Flightgaunt skeletons close at their best speed and swoop to the attack with ear-piercing shrieks. No more than two attack the same creature in a round. The others circle and gibber if no other targets are available.

(Notes: What makes these pack-hunters dangerous is that they are too fast to outrun. They are inspired by some flying haunts I saw in an old Italian Hercules/Underworld movie years ago.)

the Jester

Legend
All kinds of good stuff

Awesome! Thanks for the suggestions, comments and monsters.

I have giant leeches pegged for somewhere around 4th? I may have already statted them up- I'm honestly not sure, as I haven't had much time to work on my monster project lately. :( Time should free up after I return from Burning Man, though. :) I know I have a bat swarm at level 2.

I am trying to stick to conversions rather than creations, at least mostly, for this project. In all fairness, though, I am including conversions of some of my homebrews. ;)

I am going to try to write and post a conversion or two today- I think I can squeeze the time in.

the Jester

Legend
EDIT: Since there is an official 4e conversion, I shan't be updating these guys to MM3 standards. Unless someone really wants me to.

TWIG BLIGHT--- Level 1 Minion Brute
Small fey humanoid (plant)--- XP 25
---
Initiative +3; Senses Perception +0
HP 1 (a missed attack never damages a minion)
AC 13; Fortitude 14; Reflex 14; Will 10
Speed 6 (forest walk)
---
[Melee basic] Scratch (standard; at will) Poison: +3 vs. AC; 4 damage plus ongoing 1 poison (save ends). If the target is already taking ongoing poison damage, instead increase the amount of ongoing poison by 1.
---
Alignment evil; Languages understands Elven
Skills Stealth +8
Str 8; Dex 17; Wis 10
Con 12; Int 5; Cha 7

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases