Some questions from actual play

gribble

Explorer
So, it appears there are some irritatingly unclear bits in the PHB. Can anyone (preferably someone official) shed some light on the following:
  1. A fighters Cleave and Reaping Strike powers both reference [W]+Str as base damage for a hit, plus Str damage to an adjacent foe (for Cleave) and Str damage on a miss (for Reaping Strike). Weapon Focus obviously isn't considered part of the [W] (as it isn't doubled when you have a 2[W] power), so is obviously an extra bonus that applies to the Str modifier. My question is - does it apply to the cleave/miss damage for these powers as well? Seems logically that it should, but I can't find anything that states it does...
  2. Does a multiclass wizard have a spellbook? I assume not, given that it's a class feature (and one the multiclass feat doesn't grant), but can someone confirm?
  3. The disease rules state that a character exposed to the disease during combat must make a save at the end of combat or contract the disease. Is that once per time the character is exposed, or just once? I assume the latter, but the text could be read either way
  4. What happens if a character provokes an OA during their turn, is hit, and effected by ongoing damage as part of the attack? Does that mean they get a save at the end of their turn without ever having suffered the ongoing damage?

I think those were the main ones that we encountered (in our first 2 sessions no less)!

Andur

First Post
1. I ruled anything after the [W] counts, so magic bonuses, feats which add damage, items which add damage, etc. I read all the entries as x[W] + Modifers (Ability Modifier + misc.)

2. Needs to buy a spellbook

3. Just once, doesn't matter how many times you are exposed to anthrax in 5 minutes, either you get it or you don't.

4. Yes.

Harr

First Post
gribble said:
[*]A fighters Cleave and Reaping Strike powers both reference [W]+Str as base damage for a hit, plus Str damage to an adjacent foe (for Cleave) and Str damage on a miss (for Reaping Strike). Weapon Focus obviously isn't considered part of the [W] (as it isn't doubled when you have a 2[W] power), so is obviously an extra bonus that applies to the Str modifier. My question is - does it apply to the cleave/miss damage for these powers as well? Seems logically that it should, but I can't find anything that states it does...

I had this same question sand debated it for a while, we ended up deciding that weapon bonuses only apply when there's a roll present, so no, Cleave and Reaping's flat damage does not get modified.

This is only and sort-of corroborated by the KotS pregen fighter which does not add his WP bonus to his Cleave, only his Strength mod (but then again the KotS pregens are full of errors).

The rest of your questions, I don't know :( but I'll be watching this thread to find out :)

med stud

First Post
The power says "Str- bonus to an adjacent enemy". It doesn't mention other bonuses, therefore I'd say that it's only Str-bonus as damage.

Zelgadas

First Post
They're actually pretty clear with their wording in the feats, themselves. For example, Weapon Focus states that you get "a +1 feat bonus to damage rolls" (emphasis mine). It seems pretty clear that you only get the bonus when you actually roll damage, not when you deal flat damage. I believe the text for magic weapon bonuses is similarly clear.

Hope that helps!

gribble

Explorer
med stud said:
The power says "Str- bonus to an adjacent enemy". It doesn't mention other bonuses, therefore I'd say that it's only Str-bonus as damage.

But the "hit" entry says 1[W] + Str bonus. Seeing as we know Weapon Focus isn't counted in the 1[W] bit, by that logic it wouldn't apply to a hit either. As I said, I've also ruled that anywhere it says <ability> bonus, it actually means all modifiers, but it'd be nice to have it officially clarified...

gribble

Explorer
Andur said:
2. Needs to buy a spellbook
And if he does, can he add spells to it and therefore get choices for "prepared" powers like a wizard? I'd tend to say the character doesn't gain those wizard-specific class features, so gains no benefit by buying a spellbook... again, official clarification would be appreciated.
:)

D'karr

Adventurer
gribble said:
But the "hit" entry says 1[W] + Str bonus. Seeing as we know Weapon Focus isn't counted in the 1[W] bit, by that logic it wouldn't apply to a hit either. As I said, I've also ruled that anywhere it says <ability> bonus, it actually means all modifiers, but it'd be nice to have it officially clarified...

But Weapon Focus is counted as part of the Base Attack Bonus. Take a look at the rules on attack bonuses on PHB pg 274. Since there is no Damage Roll for the secondary damage then Weapon Focus does not apply. See the Damage section on PHB pg 276

Dragonblade

Adventurer
gribble said:
  1. A fighters Cleave and Reaping Strike powers both reference [W]+Str as base damage for a hit, plus Str damage to an adjacent foe (for Cleave) and Str damage on a miss (for Reaping Strike). Weapon Focus obviously isn't considered part of the [W] (as it isn't doubled when you have a 2[W] power), so is obviously an extra bonus that applies to the Str modifier. My question is - does it apply to the cleave/miss damage for these powers as well? Seems logically that it should, but I can't find anything that states it does...
  2. Does a multiclass wizard have a spellbook? I assume not, given that it's a class feature (and one the multiclass feat doesn't grant), but can someone confirm?
  3. The disease rules state that a character exposed to the disease during combat must make a save at the end of combat or contract the disease. Is that once per time the character is exposed, or just once? I assume the latter, but the text could be read either way
  4. What happens if a character provokes an OA during their turn, is hit, and effected by ongoing damage as part of the attack? Does that mean they get a save at the end of their turn without ever having suffered the ongoing damage?

I'm not official but I have read the PHB pretty thoroughly:

1. Bonus damage that does not come from strength only applies if you actually roll damage (or crit).
2. No spellbook for multi-class wizards.
3. Only once per different disease. Not once per exposure to the same disease.
4. You save against all ongoing effects at the end of your turn, so it makes sense that they could potentially save without ever taking the damage.

Andur

First Post
And damage that is done by Cleave is essentially 0[W]+Str.

It makes no sense that a magic weapon doesn't add it's enhancement bonus everytime it does damage, it is only partially magic? Likewise, if you have weapon focus, you are only partially focused?

If you use a weapon to make the attack, your weapon also affects your damage.

The difference with minions is nil, and the difference against non-minions is slightly in the PC's favor, which is just fine in my book.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases