Redclaws Protectors OOC

Redclaw

First Post
Here is the OOC thread for the protectors group in my In Defiance of Dragons campaign.

The Protectors
Osric--Dwarf Fighter—Pathfinderq1
Penance—Tiefling Cleric of the Raven Queen—Walking Dad
Valamir—Human Warlock (Star Pact)—EvolutionKB
Immeral--Eladrin Ranger--Zurai
Mirna—Human Wizard—Graf

Last edited:

pathfinderq1

First Post
Osric Vonheim- first work-up (in progress)

Name: Osric Vonheim
Race: Dwarf
Class: Fighter (great weapon build)
Alignment: Good
Deity: Kord

STR 16
DEX 12
CON 16 (14+2 racial)
INT 11
WIS 15 (13 +2 racial)
CHA 10

Level: 1
HP: 31 (15 class +16 CON)/Bloodied 15
Healing surges per day: 12 (9 class +3 CON); 7 HP per surge
Armor class: 16 (10 +6 chainmail)
Fortitude: 15 (10 +3 CON +2 Fighter)
Reflex: 11 (10 +1 DEX)
Will: 12 (10 +2 WIS)
(Note: add +5 to saves vs. poison)

Size: medium
Speed: 5 (even while armored/encumbered)
Vision: low-light

Armor: chainmail (will be looking to upgrade to scale when possible)
Primary weapon: halberd (1d10, reach, +6 to-hit for basic STR attacks)
Secondary weapons: sling, hand ax (may buy a bow later)

Feat: Warrior of the wild (multiclass ranger)
Trained skills: Athletics +7, Endurance +9, Healing +7, +Dungeoneering +9;
Other skills: Insight +2, Perception +2
Passive Perception: 12
Passive Insight: 12

Racial traits (dwarf):
Cast-iron stomach: +5 to saves vs. poison
Dwarven resilience: Use second wind as a minor action, not standard
Dwarven weapon proficiency: proficient with throwing hammer and warhammer
Encumbered speed: No speed penalty for armor or heavy load
Stand your ground: Forced move 1 less space (if desired), immediate saving throw to resist being knocked prone

Class traits (Fighter):
Combat challenge- Mark target with attack (hit or miss); Marked target has -2 to hit if the attack does not include Osric; Adjacent Marked targets that shift or attack other targets are subject to immediate attack
Combat superiority- +2 to hit with Opportunity attacks, an opponent hit by an Opportunity attack stops moving (if the attack was triggered by movement)
Fighter weapon talent- +1 to hit with two-handed weapons

At-will: Cleave (+6 vs. AC, 1d10+3 and adjacent enemy takes 3 HP)
At-will: Reaping strike (+6 vs. AC, 1d10+3; miss deals 3 HP)
Encounter: Covering strike (+6 vs. AC, 2d10+3 and ally adjacent to target may shift 2 squares)
(+Encounter: Hunter's Quarry, lasts 1 round; choose nearest enemy as quarry, deal +1d6 damage on one attack)
Daily: Villain's menace (+6 vs. AC; hit = 2d10+3 and gain +2 bonus to hit and +4 bonus to damage against target for remainder of encounter; miss= +1 bonus to hit and +2 bonus to damage against target for the rest of the encounter)

At level 2: Feat (Potent challenge), Utility power (Boundless Endurance)
At level 3: Encounter power (Sweeping Blow)
At level 4: +1 STR and WIS, Feat (Toughness)

Equipment (105 lb):
Chain mail armor (40 gp, 40 lb)
Halberd (25 gp, 12 lb)
Sling (1 gp, 0 lb)
20 bullets (1 gp, 5 lb)
Hand ax (x2; 10 gp, 6 lb)
Dagger (1 gp, 1 lb)
Basic adventurers kit (15 gp, 33 lb)
Basic clothing (2 sets- 1 worn, 1 spare; 2 gp, 8 lb)

Spare cash: 4 gp, 10 sp

Basic Background: [sblock]Osric never really knew his father- the older dwarf worked as a guardsman for Evenfall, and he died fighting orcs (Or whatever?) that had been raiding the outlying farms which supported the town. Osric's mother raised him herself- she worked as a healer, midwife, and herbalist- as such Osric grew up seeing a lot of children around the house, and soon developed a protective instinct to those who were younger or weaker than he was. And even from a fairly early point, lots of people were younger and weaker than he was- he took an apprenticeship with the local smith early on, and quickly turned into a burly lad, even for a dwarf. His apprenticeship didn't work out terribly well, though- he was always more interested in wielding weapons than in making them, and he often practiced for hours after his normal chores were done. What spare time he had was often spend hanging around with the towns guardsmen- at least until a few years ago. With only a few professional enforcers in town, competition for the spots was fierce, and some of the men who took the job were less than completely honorable. Recently, Osric became disillusioned with the local guardsmen, and he has hired out as an independent guard for some of the gold panners who wanted to venture a bit farther out along the river, into dangerous territory. Just last week, Osric very nearly got himself arrested when he stepped into a dispute between one of the guardsmen and a young woman who was not interested in the man's "attention". Only the fact that several reputable townsfolk, (including one of the local clergy) witnessed the incident kept things from getting ugly. Osric has continued to practice with a few other locals about his own age, but he seems quieter and more sullen- obviously the atmosphere in town is wearing on him.[/sblock]

Personality: Osric is a good-hearted fellow- he is hard-working and brave, though a bit gruff, at least around those he doesn't know well. Behind his stone-faced exterior, he is nice enough, but he is much better at listening than at speaking. He loves heroic tales, and when among friends he can laugh and tell stories as well as anyone. He has a strong protective instinct around those who are less able to defend themselves.

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
Penance, Tiefling Cleric (Battle Cleric; Raven Queen)

Penance is a follower of of the Raven Queen, deity of death, fate and winter, but due to his parents devotion to Pelor, he keeps his allegience to himself.

Appearance:
[sblock]
Warlock_General_concept_by_Mech_Maker.jpg
[/sblock]

Personality: Penance seems hard-hearted and reserved to others. But this is only an acceptance of fate and death as part of life that results in a stoic, but not fatalistic worldview. He dutifully follows the Raven Queen's code.
In groups, he is quite adaptable to new ideas, but an unshakable voice of common sense to overly heroic ideas.

Background: Penance has never known his true parents. He only knows the human couple that raised him. Devoted followers of Pelor, they forced him to pray for forgivness of his unclean form and for the (imagined) sins of his true parents. But in his heart, Penance had known that this was wrong. He could not pray to a god who sees the world only in black and white.
But he found faith. Introduced by a pilgrim, he was taught in the ways of the Raven Queen. To her he devoted his heart and soul.
Because of the prejudices in a "town", that only prayed to the sun, that preached of light, but does nothing against the growing darkness and to a nature god that governed the wolves that preyed on their herds, he kept his faith a secret, despite being an ordained cleric of the Dark Queen...

Probable Feat: Raven Queen's Blessing
Probable At-Will Prayers: Righteous brand, Priest’s shield
Probable Encounter Prayers: Healing Strike
Probably Daily Prayers: Avenging Flame

-----------------

Hi everyone. Will we plan our skills, tactics, ect. with the others in mind?

This is the ooc not the RG, isn't it?

Short reminder for myself:

The Protectors
Osric--Dwarf Fighter—Pathfinderq1
Penance—Tiefling Cleric of the Raven Queen—Walking Dad
Valamir—Human Warlock (Star Pact)—EvolutionKB
Immeral--Eladrin Ranger--Zurai
Mirna—Human Wizard—Graf

http://www.enworld.org/showpost.php?p=4295250&postcount=90

Last edited:

pathfinderq1

First Post
It is the OOC, and I don't think there is an RG yet- mostly posting my work-up as I get a chance to polish it, and to make the character a bit more transparent (both to those who know him, and to those who may not have the books yet). Once I'm finished I'll move the details to the RG thread.

Redclaw

First Post
Yes, this is the OOC thread. My thought is to spend some time discussing characters, and getting to know the system, before putting final versions in the RG.

pathfinderq1

First Post
Connections/tactics/builds

So, given the size of the town, it seems likely that we will at least know of one another before game start. Are we likely to actually be close compatriots initially? That is, are we going to start as a group, or be thrown together by the circumstances of whatever is going on at game start?

Osric has done guard work for gold panners and similar folk outside the town walls, and he does practice (in a semi-competitve fashion) with other strong-armed types in town. He might also have connections to anyone who deals regularly with the town smith (a former apprentice, Osric still helps out around the forge from time to time) or with anyone who deals with the town's healer/herbalist types (one of them is his mother Greta, and he probably knows the others).

From a build standpoint, Osric is a two-handed weapon fighter, mostly focused on his trusty halberd. Some of his skills, feats, and power choices blur the line toward guardian fighter, reflecting his protective instincts, and this trend is likely to continue during advancement.

Zurai

First Post
Well, that was somewhat of a surprise - a pleasant one, though!

Immeral isn't likely to have had extensive contact with any of this group, but he is likely to at least know of some of them. Mirna, for example, is hard not to know. I also seem to recall from her background that she's done some things out in the wilderness; it's possible that Immeral has shadowed her some of those times to make sure she didn't get into more trouble than she could handle, but I'll leave that up to her player in case he wants that to be a true secret.

Here's Immeral's working statblock:[sblock=Immeral nar Rayya]Immeral nar Rayya
Male Eladrin Ranger 1
Alignment: Unaligned
Deity: Sehanine
Region: Evenfall
Height: 6'0"
Weight: 165 lbs
Hair: Silver, worn in an intricate braid interwoven with colorful scraps of fabric, strips of fur, and beads
Eyes: Pale jade green
Skin: Fair
XP: 0

Str: 11 (+0)
Dex: 18 (+4)
Con: 13 (+1)
Int: 12 (+1)
Wis: 14 (+2)
Cha: 12 (+1)

Hit Points: 25 Bloodied: 12
Healing Surge: 6 Surges per day: 7
Initiative: +4
Speed: 6
Perception: 19 Insight: 12
Action Points: 1

AC 16 Fortitude 12 Reflex 14 Will 13

Basic Melee Attack: +3 (Longsword) Damage: 1d8 or 1d8+1
Basic Ranged Attack: +6 (Longbow) Damage: 1d10+4

Skills:
Code:
Arcana			+8 (+5 Trained, +1 Int, +2 Racial)
Athletics		+5 (+5 Trained, +0 Str)
Endurance		+6 (+5 Trained, +1 Con)
Nature			+7 (+5 Trained, +2 Wis)
Perception		+9 (+5 Trained, +2 Wis, +2 Feat)
Stealth			+9 (+5 Trained, +4 Dex)

Feats:
Defensive Mobility
Alertness

Languages:
Common
Elven

Class and Racial abilities:
+5 Racial bonus to saving throws vs Charm effects
Considered a Fey creature
Trance
Hunter's Quarry
Prime Shot

Powers:
Fey Step (Encounter, Move, 5 square teleport)
Nimble Strike (At-Will, Standard, Ranged attack + shift)
Twin Strike (At-Will, Standard, Two weaker ranged attacks)
Fox's Cunning (Encounter, Immediate Reaction, Shift + strong ranged attack)
Hunter's Bear Trap (Daily, Standard, Strong ranged attack + ongoing damage and slow)

Equipment:
Leather Armor, 25g, 15 lbs
Longbow, 30g, 3 lbs
60 arrows, 2g, 6 lbs
Longsword, 15g, 4 lbs
Standard adventuring kit, 15g, 33 lbs
Climber's kit, 2g, 11 lbs

Money:
11 g[/sblock]
I'm still not set on his 1st level feat. There are several other decent alternatives (Quick Draw, Weapon Focus: Bows, Far Shot is possible, Improved Initiative is always nice...) and I'm even considering picking up Ritual Casting, though that's doubtful since there's 2 other strong ritual casters in the group.

Graf

Explorer
I've got more coming but just to chime in: tactics are huge in 4e. WD's been banging that drum in my kots game to little effect but (and others) are right. Especially in group with controllers and strikers.

The sane thing for a lower level wizard is to take initiate of the faith, toughness or something that makes you less squishy.
In Mirna's case I'm really loath to do so though. Her background "requires" a bunch of non-wizard trained skills.
that increases pressure on the rest of the group (a squishy with 20ish hit points can go from full to negative hit points in a surprise round)

Also: I'm very keen to go more or less straight orb controller. We may say that she got Gladir to get her a copy of the sleep spell (the potential for pranking is to awesome to resist) but her encounter and daily will be the ice-terain control spells and she'll have thunderwave (?) and cloud of daggers.
I have some other stuff to do this morning but I'll try to get a spit ball up today.

Graf

Explorer
Not sure how much were' supposed to get linked together. Is the opening adventure going to be something were we get pulled in by each other (x finds out something weird calls their friend y, y thinks it's too dangerous gets z involved, etc) or more of a Phillian and Nosten have gone missing, and only you are brave enough to go find them, type thing?
(In the second one we're not connected too closely to each other necessarily).

Just some quick RP links:

I think that Mirna would probably, lets not say stalk, lets say... follow Valamir around for a while after the death of his family. I don't think she has the level of basic social awareness that would cause a normal person to "not intrude on someone's grief". [edit: this is because of the weirdness of the way his family passed, the silver star, everything says "interesting. Not because she stalks people who's families have died.]I don't know if she witnessed him blowing apart his house, but she'd almost certainly have noticed it when she went to notice it.
As well as his sudden facility with hunting... she'd probably figure out some way to get a look at the corpses.

Of course, discovering that he was doing magic she'd really start stalking him, and/or break into his house to find his spellbooks.

Since pranking around the temple is one of her favorite things to do she'd almost certainly have run into Penance. Maybe she witnessed one of his devotions to the Raven Queen and persuaded him into helping her with the "devout girl spouts nonsense" prank?
(it seems like it might appeal to him -- and he'd be the best sort of cohort in that he's above reproach)

Or maybe he caught her setting up a prank but didn't give her away (so she "owes" him?)

Last edited:

Redclaw

First Post
Graf said:
Not sure how much were' supposed to get linked together. Is the opening adventure going to be something were we get pulled in by each other (x finds out something weird calls their friend y, y thinks it's too dangerous gets z involved, etc) or more of a Phillian and Nosten have gone missing, and only you are brave enough to go find them, type thing?
(In the second one we're not connected too closely to each other necessarily).
Figure on something sort of in between. You shouldn't all be best friends, but knowing each other will help.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases