4th edition character sheet

(contact)

Explorer
http://www.cklarock.com/dnd/4esheet.htm

^ I designed a 4th ed. character sheet. I hope you use it! The one in the PH is an eye-sore, IMO, and tends to overpower the information stored on it, which for me is a cardinal design sin. Since the most critical numbers are the ones the player has penciled in, it seems to me that the sheet shouldn't be competing with those marks for legibility.

I'm looking for feedback on this sheet. Help me out by letting me know what could be added/removed/changed to make the sheet better. I'm ok with not having every possible data-point on this sheet, but I do want to try and cram everything mission-critical for a 4e D&D game on this sheet.

Once you lot have had a chance to review and critique, and the sheet has been table-tested a few times, I'll release it into the wild.

Please send suggestions and feedback to: 4e@ckladesign.com.

Thanks, all!

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
That looks excellent. I'll definitely try it out.

I wonder whether you'd help me with considering a redesign of my Starguild OGL character sheet? I've got in a bit of a rut with it, and I'm not convinced it is doing its job to its best ability at the moment :)

Cheers

Plane Sailing

We had a go at using your character sheet for real today, creating characters for my new 4e game.

The following comments were made:

1) the faint 'helptext' was too faint when printed
2) No place for 'class' bonus to defences
3) REF defence - should swap around race and shield, so race is consistently positioned
4) No clear place to put "basic melee attack" and "basic ranged attack"
5) Shield mis-spelt as Sheild
6) Could do with bigger space to record current HP/damage taken (since hp goes up and down with great regularity!)

I don't know whether you could do anything about this, but the powers line didn't give enough space to write down the salient points (attack vs defence, damage, ranged/close/melee/burst/etc and so on. The ultimate solution here is probably 'power cards' though.

Cheers

(contact)

Explorer
1) Which version were you using? Ver 0.3 was a fix for that issue.

2, 3) Thanks!

4) Are those attacks actually used in 4e?

5) Nice catch.

6) I could do with diamonds for nipples, too, but I won't get those either. ;) Just playin', but I really have hacked the f--k out of this sheet for space, and <Scotty from Star Trek>There's . . . just . . . no . . . room </SFST>

The best I could do in ver. 0.3 was to create a spot for the PHB number as reference to the power's funciton. In terms of between-game fiddly bits, 4e is next to nil, but in terms of in-game fiddly 4e turned the volume up to eleven.

I really wanted a 1-page 4e sheet, but I think that dream will have to go the way of the zeppelin and clean, efficient coal power. I'm looking at possibly 3 sheets, one with game-table relevant numbers only, one with the various calculation breakdowns for leveling up, and DM auditing, and one with powers.

For my own game, I'm creating power cards 6-up to be cut and set aside when used. I don't think that complexity in character creation (and therefore data tracking /management, i.e. character sheets) has reduced in 4e. :)

Pbartender

First Post
(contact) said:
4) Are those attacks actually used in 4e?

Yes... most notably and most often during Charges and Opportunity Attacks. Warlords also have a tendency to grant allies free basic attacks.

Plane Sailing

What pBartender said about basic attacks.

(contact) said:
6) I could do with diamonds for nipples, too, but I won't get those either. ;) Just playin', but I really have hacked the f--k out of this sheet for space, and <Scotty from Star Trek>There's . . . just . . . no . . . room </SFST>

For my own game, I'm creating power cards 6-up to be cut and set aside when used. I don't think that complexity in character creation (and therefore data tracking /management, i.e. character sheets) has reduced in 4e. :)

I feel your pain! As it was, the players used scrap bits of paper to record hit points (especially the paladin whose hit points went up and down like a yo-yo!)

Nobody even noticed the little faint writing about PHB pg number, although I can see it now you mention it! (it is 0.3 BTW). Perhaps if there was a little break at the end of each line, that would highlight it? As it happened I started telling people the pg number of their powers so they could let me know where to look it up :)

I agree that the way to go forward is to create cut-out-and-keep power cards, I'm going to have a little look into that in a while. I'm planning to write the information into a database and then do a mail-merge to get it nicely formatted onto suitable sized cards.

Cheers

Remove ads