D&D 4th Edition Sneak Attack + Critical Hit?

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Ignore d12

Sneak Attack + Critical Hit?

When you score a critical hit on a sneak attack do you get max damage on the sneak attack roll?
    This level can't be all bad.

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

Ignore Lord Zardoz
    I would have to double check, but my understanding is that a Rogue Sneak Attack + Critical hit will result in Max Weapon Dmg + 2d6.

However, upon review, that understanding appears to have been incorrect. See following posts, but the short answer is that rolling a 20 / crit is no different than hitting on an attack roll of 14 and having all your damage dice come up the maximum.

END COMMUNICATION
    Last edited by Lord Zardoz; Monday, 9th June, 2008 at 05:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zardoz
    I would have to double check, but my understanding is that a Rogue Sneak Attack + Critical hit will result in Max Weapon Dmg + 2d6.

END COMMUNICATION
    I believe this is correct, all dice other than the weapon damage are rolled as normal. Kinda sucks for dagger wielders as its not much of a bump unless you have some power that is triggering off the crit.
    Whatever you read in my post, I actually do like 4e

All my questions are for 4e unless otherwise stated.

"A true slacker needs no excuse to slack" - Evan G.

Nothing points towards sneak attack not being maximized by a crit. In fact, I actually read (but can't seem to find again) a custserv answer about it and they confirmed that they only dice you ever roll on a crit are those dice that are labeled as extra damage on crits.

Actually, when you score a crit, all damage dice that you don't get specifically because you got a crit is maximized. This has been stated by someone at wizards, can't remember the exact quote. So for example, a ranger critting his quarry with a greataxe (on a basic attack), would do 18+Str+1d12.
    And once again, Probability proves itself willing to sneak into a back alley and service Drama as would a copper-piece harlot.

Maximillian is correct. Anything (high crit weapon, magic weapons, etc...) that add extra damage dice on a crit ONLY are not maximized. p.278 in the PHB.

A sneak attack, warlocks curse, and hunter's quarry add extra damage normally and ARE maxed.

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Ignore Maximillian
    Pg. 278

"Rather than roll damage, determine the maximum damage you can roll with your attack. This is your critical damage."

In a 3e mentality, I want to say sneak attacks aren't maximized, but the text implies that it's the maximum for the "Attack" not the weapon. FWIW, the next paragraph specifically mentions that extra damage from high crit weapons and magical properties is not maximized. Sneak attack is not mentioned.

The entry for sneak attack makes no mention of critical hits on Pg. 117, and the index only lists two places for critical hits. The other location (pg 276) is far less specific, and doesn't mention extra damage at all.

I think it looks pretty clear that SA is maximized. (And the Warlock's curse and the Ranger's quarry, at that.)
    I left my heart in the City of Brass.

Ya, i used to think it was only weapon damage that got maxed, but upon reading the rules under critting it seemed all damage that was not extra damage from the crit gets maxxed. This includes sneak attacks, quarries and curses OH MY!!
    Whatever you read in my post, I actually do like 4e

All my questions are for 4e unless otherwise stated.

"A true slacker needs no excuse to slack" - Evan G.

To put it in perspective, the difference between average damage and crit damage for HQ/SA/Curse is pretty small. 2.5 to 5.5 without feats.

Waghalter (Lvl 7)

Ignore Blackbrrd
    For the dagger rogue 1d4+4+2d6 critical is 8+2d6 ~ 15 or if done correctly 20, 33% more damage... If you have taken the backstabber feat it goes from 16 to 22, an increase of 37.5%
    One-page auto calculating 4th edition character sheet
    4e character sheet v3.xls
    4e rogue.xls (example)
    4e fighter.xls(example)

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast