Sneak Attack + Critical Hit?

Otterscrubber

First Post
Ya, i used to think it was only weapon damage that got maxed, but upon reading the rules under critting it seemed all damage that was not extra damage from the crit gets maxxed. This includes sneak attacks, quarries and curses OH MY!! :)

Ziana

First Post
To put it in perspective, the difference between average damage and crit damage for HQ/SA/Curse is pretty small. 2.5 to 5.5 without feats.

Blackbrrd

First Post
For the dagger rogue 1d4+4+2d6 critical is 8+2d6 ~ 15 or if done correctly 20, 33% more damage... If you have taken the backstabber feat it goes from 16 to 22, an increase of 37.5%

ravenwing1234

First Post
well...

On page PHB 278, it says:
Maximum Damage: Rather than roll damage, determine the maximum damage you can roll with your attack.

And PHB 117:
Sneak Attack
[...] You decide whether to apply the extra damage after making the damage roll.

So the sneak attack getting the crit damage seems very iffy to me...
They should have made it more clear by putting an example with an ability after the critical hit entry.

Zurai

First Post
ravenwing1234 said:
On page PHB 278, it says:
Maximum Damage: Rather than roll damage, determine the maximum damage you can roll with your attack.

And PHB 117:
Sneak Attack
[...] You decide whether to apply the extra damage after making the damage roll.

So the sneak attack getting the crit damage seems very iffy to me...
They should have made it more clear by putting an example with an ability after the critical hit entry.
The sneak attack damage is still rolled with the attack. You just roll it at the end of the attack.

jeffh

Adventurer
Though neither TwoSkewers nor Kordeth's reading of it makes any sense, the Assassin's Point description posted by the former seems to decide the issue. If damage from Sneak Attack were normally doubled on a crit, there would be no need to specifically mention that it's doubled when you use Assassin's Point.

(TS seems to be under the mistaken impression that the English language doesn't have an inclusive "or"; Kordeth simply ignores the above point.)

erik_the_guy

First Post
Yup, you definitely maximize criticals. My level 1 rogue landed a critical sneak attack (backstabber feat, brutal scoundrel, dagger) and managed 28 damage. It slew an enemy elite instantly. Think of it as hitting someone in the jugular.

Oompa

First Post
So.. added dice because of magic weapons, high crit and implements, dont get maximized.. and sneak attack does get maximized..

Danceofmasks

First Post
jeffh said:
Though neither TwoSkewers nor Kordeth's reading of it makes any sense, the Assassin's Point description posted by the former seems to decide the issue. If damage from Sneak Attack were normally doubled on a crit, there would be no need to specifically mention that it's doubled when you use Assassin's Point.

Well, you may not crit .. therefore, you still get to double your sneak attack damage.
Besides, sneak attack damage normally gets maximised on a crit, not doubled.

pogminky

First Post
*sigh*
Why do I get the feeling I'm adding crit with sneak/quarry to my growing list of 'wait until I get a clear, official answer' list (along with stealth, allies and cover, temp hp, etc.)?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases