Sneak Attack + Critical Hit?

Zurai

First Post
Surgoshan said:
"Rather than roll damage, determine the maximum damage you can roll with your attack."

Things like sneak attack and hunter's quarry are added to the attack, rather than being rolled for the attack, so shouldn't be maxed.
There's some debate with Sneak Attack, because it's rolled after the damage, but Hunter's Quarry is specifically determined right after you make the attack rolls. It's added directly to the attack's damage.

Also, you're forgetting that "Attack" and "Power" are not synonyms. They are not equal or equivalent. Most powers are attacks and most attacks are powers, but they're not the same thing. Sneak Attack, Curse, and Hunter's Quarry damage are added to the attack. They aren't rolled separately; they're rolled in addition to. The fact that they aren't (usually) part of the power that caused the attack doesn't mean they aren't part of the attack.

Scarface6174

First Post
Rather than just skim the text, READ it. They specifically state which ones are excempt from getting auto maxed.

"Rather than roll damage, determine the maximum damage you can roll with your attack."

Umm, sneak attack, hunter's quarry, and the curse extra damage all are rolled. They specifically state WHICH rolled damage is not maxed as a matter of fact on p. 278.

Xorn

First Post
I'm pretty sure it was Dave Noonan that said it, about halfway through the Mailbag Part 2 podcast. "Any damage not granted specifically because of a critical is maximized."

The PHB supports that statement.

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
Upon review and double checking, I think my initial understanding was incorrect, and I would have to agree with Scarface6174, and the others who share that opinion.

The intent of the critical hits was to simply take the most damage you could reasonably inflict if the damage dice came up perfectly for you. Rolling a 20 that qualifies as a critical hit is no different than rolling a 14 against AC 14 and rolling the maximum on every die that you would normally roll. Damage that comes into effect ONLY on a critical is rolled normally if it is a dice roll.

END COMMUNICATION

Oompa

First Post
Extra Damage: Magic weapons and implements, as well as high crit weapons, can increase the damage you deal when you score a critical hit. If this extra damage is a die roll, it’s not automatically maximum damage; you add the result of the roll.

TwoSkewers

First Post
Assassin's Point Rogue Attack 29

A sliced throat or a bolt through the heart—it’s all good.
Daily Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee or Ranged weapon
Requirement: You must be wielding a crossbow, a light blade, or a sling.
Target: One creature
Attack: Dexterity vs. AC
Hit: 7[W] + Dexterity modifier damage.
Miss: Half damage.
Special: If you have combat advantage against the target, double any extra damage from Sneak Attack or a critical hit.

I found this in the new D&D compendium and it implies that you would double the critical hit OR the Sneak Attack, but not both, which you can assume that you should not be maximizing the Sneak Attack with the Critical Hit.

Kordeth

First Post
TwoSkewers said:
I found this in the new D&D compendium and it implies that you would double the critical hit OR the Sneak Attack, but not both, which you can assume that you should not be maximizing the Sneak Attack with the Critical Hit.

Erm...it uses the word "or" because sneak attack is already part of a critical hit and the power doesn't let you double it twice.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases