D&D 3rd Edition / 3.5 [3.5] A Dark and Stormy Night




+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 35 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 342
  1. #1
    Boingy! Boingy! COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

    Mark Chance's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    5,040
    Blog Entries
    91

    ø Ignore Mark Chance

    [3.5] A Dark and Stormy Night

    It's a dark and stormy night. You and your adventuring companions are nestled comfortably inside the Inn of the Welcome Wench, along with a dozen or so locals, not including the inn's staff. Ostler Gundigoot keeps his staff hopping, ensuring mugs stay full and the spiced mutton stew stays hot. The aromas of the stew, fresh-baked breads, and strong ale mingles with the less pleasant smells from the hard-working locals.

    Outside the storm pounds the village with rain and driving winds. Flashes of lightning white out the smoky glass windows. Claps of thunder rattle the doors.

    "We ain't seen a storm like this in years," says Goodie Gundigoot as she sets a fresh plate of greens on your table. "My mother -- Pelor rest her soul -- called this sort of storm a devil's roar." The elderly, kind-faced matron laughs at the memory, but her laughs turns abruptly to a startled yell as an injured, drenched man staggers into the inn.

    Blood and rain water pool on the floor around his feet.

    Just as he is about to speak, a bony figure lunges into the inn, tackling the man to the floor. There is a sickening crunch! as the bony attacker bites through the back of the injured man's skull!

    Patrons scream and scuttle away, knocking over chairs, upsetting dishes. The bony figure squats on the man's back, raises its nearly bald head, and croaks in a voice choked with grave dirt, "In...fant!"

    OOC

    Yes, a zombie has just tackled and bit through a man's skull. All four PCs are seated at the same table about 30 feet away from the entrance. The inn's main room is cluttered with tables, chairs, people, and wooden columns supporting the ceiling. Charging isn't possible.

    Let's use Invisible Castle for dice rolls.

    Everyone: Narrate your PC's reaction. Please roll for initiative and post desired actions.
    Grab those dice! Gird your loins! Tonight, evil loses! | Buy Spes Magna Games PDFs | Be a Spes Magna fan | Do you know Quid Novi?

 

  • #2
    Registered User
    Superhero (Lvl 15)

    Walking Dad's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    15,780
    Blog Entries
    7

    ø Ignore Walking Dad

    Xenon

    "Shame, why do something like this always happens to us?" Xenon says shocked, taking a step back. Something like this? Something like this never happened before!
    But he is concentrated enough to materialize his mindblade and readies his shield.
    With only faked bravado, he looks at the others, but his fears slow his reaction.

    Signature

    Hi I'm a comic and rpg nerd. Don't hurt me, please.

    PS: English is NOT my native language!

    May the 4th be with you!

    PbPs

    Invisible Castle

    http://www.d20srd.org/
    Pathfinder SRD (Pathfinder_OGC)


    My Houserules

    I am SpiderClan

  • #3
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

    Rayex's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Strømmen
    Posts
    1,112

    ø Ignore Rayex

    Gordon

    Throwing the form to the floor and standing in a rush the hasty little gnome shrieks "I am eating, and you come here and bite some poor blokes head off! How rude! Now, taste this!"

    With a throwing motion, Gordon flings an orb of fire towards the undead.


    ooc


    Initiative = 21

    Ranged Touch attack for spell: 20
    Damage for spell: 8

  • #4
    Registered User
    Gallant (Lvl 3)

    Graybeard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Western Mass, USA
    Posts
    1,331

    ø Ignore Graybeard
    Norim Lunek

    His senses dulled by the strong ale and the hearty meal, Norim stares in disbelief as the creature bites the helpless man's head off. After several long seconds his brain nudges him to action. Even though the creature is clearly very dangerous, his first priority is to protect the innocents. After all, that is what he was trained to do in the army.

    Everyone get back! he shouts as he rises from the table and pulls his longsword out, ready to defend the townspeople.




    Intiative (1d20+1=2)

  • #5
    Registered User
    Novice (Lvl 1)



    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Middleburg, FL
    Posts
    22

    ø Ignore Veltharis ap Rylix

    Tetsuko

    Appearing somewhat drowsy from the potent combination of good food and ale, the young woman known as Tetsuko seems to shake it off rather quickly as the man and his monstrous attacker burst into the room. Hopping to her feet, she picks up her staff from where she'd leaned it against the table, then sweeps her free arm to the side, her eyes sharply focused.

    Those whose attentions are not utterly captured by the gruesome attack may notice a faint sound, like that of a small bell ringing, emanating from near the young woman without any obvious source, followed immediately by a brief distortion in the air in front of her.

    Slowly, but deliberately, she advances, trying to put herself between the creature and the other tavern-goers, while still maintaining some distance.

    OOC
    Initiative (1d20=15)

    Manifesting Force Screen. Nothing to say just yet.

  • #6
    Boingy! Boingy! COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

    Mark Chance's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    5,040
    Blog Entries
    91

    ø Ignore Mark Chance

    Battle of the Welcome Wench (Round 1)

    Gordon reacts with speed, standing tall in his chair as he throws an orb of fire. The flaming missile crackles as it strikes the squatting zombie full in the chest. In an instant, the rancid stench of charred flesh and bone fills the air as the orb burns a melon-sized whole clear through the zombie's torso.

    "Urk!" the zombie grunts before falling across its victim.

    Several patrons scream. The crowd surges away from the door. One man dives over the bar. Goody Gundigoot backs away, yelling, "Into the kitchen or up the stairs!" The panicked patrons rush pell-mell, knocking over more furniture, colliding with each other.

    Appearing somewhat drowsy from the potent combination of good food and ale, the young woman known as Tetsuko seems to shake it off rather quickly as the man and his monstrous attacker burst into the room. Hopping to her feet, she picks up her staff from where she'd leaned it against the table, then sweeps her free arm to the side, her eyes sharply focused. Those whose attentions are not utterly captured by the gruesome attack may notice a faint sound, like that of a small bell ringing, emanating from near the young woman without any obvious source, followed immediately by a brief distortion in the air in front of her. Slowly, but deliberately, she advances, trying to put herself between the creature and the other tavern-goers, while still maintaining some distance.

    Xenon materializes his mindblade and readies his shield as two more zombies lurch through the doorway and into the inn. They stagger stiff-legged, milky white eyes lolling in their decayed faces. After only the briefest pause, the unholy creatures lumber toward Tetsuko, their progress impeded by a few scattered chairs.

    His senses dulled by the strong ale and the hearty meal, Norim stares in disbelief as the creature bites the helpless man's head off. After several long seconds his brain nudges him to action. Even though the creature is clearly very dangerous, his first priority is to protect the innocents. After all, that is what he was trained to do in the army.

    "Everyone get back!" he shouts as he rises from the table and pulls his longsword out, ready to defend the townspeople.

    From the behind the bar to our heroes' right, Gundigoot echoes Norim's command, "Aye, everyone! Away from the door!" A quick glance in his direction sees the portly, aged ostler loading a heavy crossbow, which is more than enough to remind everyone present that only is Gundigoot the Welcome Wench's owner, he is also the sergeant of Hommlet's militia.

    Combat Box

    Initiative Order: Gordon (21), Tetsuko (15), Xenon (4), Zombies (4), Norim (2), Gundigoot (2)

    Effects in Play: Tetsuko (force screen), Xenon (mindblade)

    One zombie is dead. Two zombies are in melee range with Tetsuko. They both threaten her. Gordon is about ten feet away on the other side of the table. Norim is a 5-foot step away from the closest zombie. Xenon is a 5-foot step away from the other zombie.

    Actions and dice rolls for round two, please.

    Last edited by Mark Chance; Tuesday, 10th June, 2008 at 05:04 AM.
    Grab those dice! Gird your loins! Tonight, evil loses! | Buy Spes Magna Games PDFs | Be a Spes Magna fan | Do you know Quid Novi?

  • #7
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

    Rayex's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Strømmen
    Posts
    1,112

    ø Ignore Rayex

    Gordon

    "Oh for goodness sake, can't a man have his meal in peace and order!" the gnome exclaims while positioning himself such as not to impede any of the others, but still have a good view of the fight.

    When he is positioned correctly, he then extends his left hand, palm up, and a ray of light purple'ish light strikes for the closest Zombie.

    ooc

    Casting Disrupt Undead
    Ranged Touch Attack = 11 (forgot to add the size modifier, so add 1)
    Damage = 5

    Info:
    HP: 7
    AC: 12/12/11
    Saves: Fort 1, Ref 1, Will 1.
    Attacks: Weapon; +1, 1d3 dmg. Ranged Touch; +2.
    Spells: Used; 1/1. Left; 4/3

  • #8
    Registered User
    Novice (Lvl 1)



    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Middleburg, FL
    Posts
    22

    ø Ignore Veltharis ap Rylix

    Tetsuko

    'What to do...what to do...'

    Realizing a bit belatedly that her best means of attack, a mental assault that would wreck havoc on a mortal foe's psyche but caused no physical damage, was all but useless against a creature already dead, Tetsuko is somewhat hesitant to provoke the approaching monsters by attacking with her staff. Instead, she decides to back away somewhat and let her comrades deal with the beasts up close and personal.

    As she does so, however, she gets a mischievous grin on her face and, turning to the tavern owner, says, "Just so you know, things are about start breaking..."

    Tetsuko's eyes suddenly begin to glow a pale silver and one of the mugs on a nearby table lifts off into the air, then hurtles at one of the zombies' head.

    OOC
    Stepping back a bit, then manifesting Far Hand to pick up a mug - the heaviest one I can find and still pick up - and launch it at a zombie.

    Improvised Ranged Attack (1d20-4=12)
    Damage (1d3=1)
    Last edited by Veltharis ap Rylix; Tuesday, 10th June, 2008 at 06:48 PM.

  • #9
    Registered User
    Gallant (Lvl 3)

    Graybeard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Western Mass, USA
    Posts
    1,331

    ø Ignore Graybeard
    If the Zombies are still standing, Norim will step towards the nearest one.

    Begone foul creature! Leave these poor citizens in peace! he shouts as he slashes at the creature's head with his longsword.

    attack 1d20+4=17
    damage 1d8+2=5
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1622553/

  • #10
    Registered User
    Superhero (Lvl 15)

    Walking Dad's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    15,780
    Blog Entries
    7

    ø Ignore Walking Dad

    Xenon

    Xenon takes a step forward and stabs the undead thing in the breast, but this kind of attck seems unefficient.

    ooc
    Mindblade (to hit, damage) (1d20+1=16, 1d6=4)

    If the undead has a DR, can Xenon realize it?
    stats

    HP: 12/12
    AC: 14 / 13 / 11
    Armor bonus: +4

    Saves:
    Fortitude: +2
    Reflex: +5
    Will: +3
    +1 racial bonus on saving throws against powers,
    spells, and spell-like effects.

    Init: +3

    Mindblade: +1 [0base + 0str +1WF], 1d6dmg, Threat 19-20/x2
    Signature

    Hi I'm a comic and rpg nerd. Don't hurt me, please.

    PS: English is NOT my native language!

    May the 4th be with you!

    PbPs

    Invisible Castle

    http://www.d20srd.org/
    Pathfinder SRD (Pathfinder_OGC)


    My Houserules

    I am SpiderClan

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 1 of 35 1234567891011 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. [Defunct] A Dark and Stormy Night
      By Mark Chance in forum Talking the Talk
      Replies: 209
      Last Post: Sunday, 24th January, 2010, 01:23 AM
    2. One Dark Night in Weeping Briar?
      By Ogrork the Mighty in forum General RPG Discussion
      Replies: 29
      Last Post: Sunday, 5th April, 2009, 01:03 AM
    3. [3.5] A Dark and Stormy Night
      By Mark Chance in forum General RPG Discussion
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: Thursday, 8th January, 2009, 08:00 PM
    4. Memories and Portents Chapter#1: A Dark and Stormy Knight
      By SecondTime in forum Playing the Game
      Replies: 267
      Last Post: Thursday, 29th March, 2007, 09:26 PM
    5. It was a dark and stormy night. (old news?)
      By Odovacar's Ghost in forum General Discussion
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: Tuesday, 29th November, 2005, 03:34 PM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •