[3.5] A Dark and Stormy Night

Walking Dad

First Post
Xenon just stands with the bulk of their little fellowship an is content with watching and listening. The gnome seems to enjoy such conversations much more than he does.

ooc: autohypnosis +5 check to memorize the entry knocks.

Like Xenon, Dacen will remain in the back, observing his new brothers in arms as they interact with Rufus and Burne...

What a strange troop we are... I hope we manage to get out of this one well...

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Burne chuckles when Gordon asks for cookies. "I'll see what I can do." The wizard snaps his fingers. In response a small, wiry monkey clambers up onto his lap from behind the chair. Burne speaks to the monkey, "Jojo, please go to the kitchen and see if their are any cookies or a cake. Return with them."

As the monkey salutes and scampers away, exiting the audience hall through one of the narrow, arched windows high up on the wall, Burne addresses the group, "I do have some things that might help you."

The wizard stands, sliding a box from under his chair. He places the box on the table, opens it, and then pours himself some tea. Inside the box are four leather pouches, four vials of liquid, and a tuning fork. Burne tosses a leather pouch to each adventurer.

"There's fifty pieces of gold in each pouch to help purchase whatever you might need in town. These are oils of false life. Quite difficult to make. The tuning fork has a special property. When struck, all locked locks within about ten yards will unlock. Use it wisely. It functions only once per day." He takes a sip of tea. "As to what to expect at the moathouse, I'm uncertain. The villagers stay away from it due to its evil reputation. It's also in a state of disrepair. Not really safe to go poking around just from a structural viewpoint. I do know there are persistent problems with giant frogs. It seem no matter how many are hunted, there are always more."

[sblock=OOC]An oil of false life remains active for up to 3 hours. I bestows 1d10+3 temporary hit points.[/sblock]

Last edited:

"There's fifty pieces of gold in each pouch to help purchase whatever you might need in town. These are oils of false life. Quite difficult to make. The tuning fork has a special property. When struck, all locked locks within about ten yards will unlock. Use it wisely. It functions only once per day." He takes a sip of tea. "As to what to expect at the moathouse, I'm uncertain. The villagers stay away from it due to its evil reputation. It's also in a state of disrepair. Not really safe to go poking around just from a structural viewpoint. I do know there are persistent problems with giant frogs. It seem no matter how many are hunted, there are always more."]

Nice, Dacen thinks, as he weights the vials in his hands.

Then, cleaning his throat and stepping forward, he asks Burne.

"Sir, is there any particular reason why to leave the ruins in their estate. - I mean, we could simply burn the place down, or the like, and the zombies and their lord with it."

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Burne's grin and the glint in his eyes seem to speak of youth's impetuousness as he answers Dacen. "That might seem like an easy to way handle things, unless, of course, one wants to recover the infant alive. Regardless, there are dungeons beneath the moathouse, and much of what is left standing is stone. Fire would cause little damage."

[sblock=OOC]If there are no other questions/comments for Burne, we can move the scene to Jaroo the Druid of the Grove.[/sblock]

Burne's grin and the glint in his eyes seem to speak of youth's impetuousness as he answers Dacen. "That might seem like an easy to way handle things, unless, of course, one wants to recover the infant alive. Regardless, there are dungeons beneath the moathouse, and much of what is left standing is stone. Fire would cause little damage."

[sblock=OOC]If there are no other questions/comments for Burne, we can move the scene to Jaroo the Druid of the Grove.[/sblock]

Dacen bows before Burne. "Please forgive me, Sir, I had not taken the infant into consideration. Are there any plans of the Moathouse available in your archives? - Maybe we should not exactly enter through the front door..."

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Burne shakes his head. "I fear not, but I do know the walls of the moathouse are in poor shape. There were four breaches last I knew, aside from the downed gate itself. A hidden staircase in the northeastern tower leads down to the dungeons."

Graybeard

Explorer
That information could be useful. We will explore the outer walls before entering. As our new fellow rescuer has said, entering through the front door could be a bad idea. Norim adds.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
The party says their good-byes and departs Burne's tower. It is a short walk back to the south middle of Hommlet. Along the way, villagers out working in the fields or running errands pause their labors long enough to wave and wish the adventurers well.

Jaroo's grove sits several yards southeast behind where Jerard and his family once lived. There is a wide path leading into the copse of trees. The trees themselves are neatly pruned and the grass is well-tended. Carefully placed bluish stones border the path, which leads to a rock cairn where flowers, nuts, berries, and garlands of leaves have been placed. A smaller path leads beyond this shrine to a low-roofed wooden building placed under the great boughs of an ancient oak.

Aged and weathered Jaroo Ashstaff is waiting, sitting on a barrel near the building's front door. A huge black bear slumbers a few feet away.

"Welcome," he says. "I don't wish to delay you from your task for long. I have some information, brought to me by my friends in the forest. The zombies did indeed head toward the moathouse. I cannot say for certain they entered, for it is a cursed place that my friends avoid. Also, something has greatly agitated the giant frogs that live in the marsh around the moathouse." Jaroo extends his hand, offering a quiver of twelve arrows. "These are frogbane arrows. Use them wisely. Also, be on the lookout for a man dressed in motley. My friends reported his presence near the moathouse. Who he is or what his intentions are I do not know."

[sblock=OOC]Don't forget to divvy up the items from Burne and Jaroo. Add them to your respective character sheets, please.[/sblock]

Walking Dad

First Post
"Giant-frogs, huh. I hope at least these things die if you pierce their innards!" Xenon whispers to the other members of his group.

[sblock=ooc]
[sblock=Stats]
HP: 12/12 0 non-lethal
AC: 14 / 13 / 11
Armor bonus: +4

Saves:
Fortitude: +2
Reflex: +5
Will: +3
+1 racial bonus on saving throws against powers,
spells, and spell-like effects.

Init: +3