[3.5] A Dark and Stormy Night

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Norim, Gordon, Xenon, and, bringing up the rear, Dacen follow the undead beggar deeper into the woods. After several minutes of trudging through the ancient trees, the forest grows noticeably louder. The deep thrumming of frogs croaking fills the warm air, only these croaks are too loud, too throaty to come from normal-sized amphibians.

The beggar stops leading and points ahead. Down a gentle slope stands a ruined building. A scrub of thorns, thistles, weeds, and shrubs grow thickly along the edge of a faint track which leads to the ruins, and even the track is mostly overgrown and cluttered with fallen branches and trees. Here and there the trail is washed out. In other places, it is a mire.

The party looks down toward a rotting drawbridge that rests across the brackish moat. The gates on the other side of the drawbridge were long ago broken down. One door is hanging open. The other is splintered and holed, but still in position. About halfway up the westernmost wall north of the tower, the wall has been reduced to a pile of rubble. The southeastern corner of the moathouse is in similar condition.

The beggar bends over and snatches up a stick. He squats and draws a crescent shape in the dirt at the base of a tree. He then points at the sky, faintly visible through the canopy. The sun breaks through here and there. Dropping the stick, he cradles his arms as if holding a child, and then points back to the drawing and toward the ruined moathouse.

Graybeard

Explorer
Observing the crude drawing carefully as well as the actions of the beggar, Norim is under the impression that time is running out.

I might be wrong but I think we are quickly running out of time. I think the beggar is trying to tell us we only have until the moon comes out. What do the rest of you think?

ravin_raven

First Post
Gordon watches the strange zombies attempts at communication, somewhat befuddled.
I might be wrong but I think we are quickly running out of time. I think the beggar is trying to tell us we only have until the moon comes out. What do the rest of you think?

Gordon, dwelling underground for much of his life, didn't really connect with the moon symbol. Thinking quickly, he rolls his eyes, "Of course that is what it is saying, anyone can see that. We must make haste! The child needs us."

"What sort of reconnaissance can we muster?"
he asks, looking around.

[sblock=OOC]Not trying to be a jerk, but Gordon couldn't figure that out and it hurt his pride! And man, a rogue would be nice here.[/sblock]

Walking Dad

First Post
Xenon says: "Or he wants us to wait until the moon is shining... But I'm all for hurry up.

Oh, and I can see in the dark, but I'm not trained at spotting traps, nor disarming them, if you mean this."
he answers.

[sblock=ooc]
[sblock=Stats]
HP: 12/12 0 non-lethal
AC: 14 / 13 / 11
Armor bonus: +4

Saves:
Fortitude: +2
Reflex: +5
Will: +3
+1 racial bonus on saving throws against powers,
spells, and spell-like effects.

Init: +3

Mindblade: +1 [0base + 0str +1WF], 1d6 dmg, Threat 19-20/x2
Dagger: +0, 1d4 dmg, Threat 19-20/x2
Sickle: +0, 1d6 dmg, 20/x2
[/sblock][/sblock]

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
[sblock=A Friendly Reminder]
Just a reminder: The party has been given a few useful items.

1. Four potions of false life.
2. A tuning fork that magically unlocks all locked locks within about 10 yards (usable once per day).
3. Quiver with 12 frogbane arrows.
[/sblock]

ravin_raven

First Post
Checking his crossbow to make sure that it's loaded, Gordon suggests "Perhaps we ought to cautiously approach what remains of the moathouse. Ready for anything, mates?"

He also takes a good, hard look up at the crumbled section up the wall of the moathouse to see anything moving.

Dacen looks stressed, and you can see how he is sweating.

The palm of his left hand seems to sparkle of white light...

The priest has prepared a spell, and is ready to launch it in any moment,
that's for sure...

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Cautiously, weapons and spells at the ready, the adventurers approach the ruined moathouse. It quickly becomes obvious that the moat itself is full of slow moving, almost brackish water. The downed drawbridge presents the only obvious way across the moat that doesn't involve getting rather wet. The undead beggar tags along, staying closest to Gordon.

When the party is roughly twenty or so yards from the drawbridge, the incessant chorus of stentorian croaking suddenly stops. The woods are quiet...too quiet.

But the quiet lasts only an instant before the silence is torn asunder by the fearsome growls of giant killer frogs!

[sblock=OOC]
Everyone please make Spot checks. Use Invisible Castle. The DC is 22 (1d20+6=22). Any character who makes the DC can act during the surprise round.

Go ahead and give me initiative rolls and narrate desired actions (or lack thereof).
[/sblock]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases