Action Point Tokens: A Mechanical Incentive to RP

Xethreau

Josh Gentry - Author, Minister in Training
Originally posted by me here .

OK, so I am aware that there are many people who are irritated with 4e because it removes mechanical incentive to RP. Well, I think that there should be a mechanical incentive to RP.

Unlike 3e, that took away Paladin powers if they went evil or screwed over Wizards of their spellbook was ruined, this system does not punish players for playing wrong, but like 4e, rewards them when playing "right."

Use this system if you wish that your players would RP with one another more, while simultaneously promoting teamwork and allowing the characters to "bring the awesome" in combat.

Action Point Tokens said:
Rewarded for RP - Action Point Tokens (or APTs) are rewarded when in RP between two or more PC's a character is further developed, an aspect of a character's backstory comes to light, or when the relationship between interacting PC's develops. Each character participating in the interaction is given an APT for each other participant in the interaction, each labeled for the other participants.

Using an APT - A player may expend one Action Point Token per session, or more often upon DM approval. Expending an Action Point token does not expend an action, and may be used at any time at which an action point may normally be spent. The payer bestows the character indicated on the token the benefits of an action point on the character's current or next turn, and the benefits of an Action Point Token do not interfere with normal action point usage.

Roleplay Applications - In RP, APTs represent the bonds and memories between characters. When a character receives the benefits of an APT, this represents the inspirational cheers from one's allies or motivational memories that drive a character forward.

Example: If characters Vincent, Tahlvan, and Xin participated in RP and were awarded APTs, Vincent would receive tokens marked for Xin and Tahlvan, Tahlvan would receive tokens for Xin and Vincent, and Xin would receive Tahlvan and Vincent APTs.

Furthermore, suppose that Tahlvan is the only character still standing, facing off against the same solo monster that took out Vincent, Xin, and Xoa. Tahlvan's initiative comes up, and he makes his attack. When the monster still lives, he expends his action point for the encounter, and delivers a not-so-deadly blow. Knowing that the parties fighter is bloodied, the player of Vincent expends a Action Point Token denoted with Tahlvan's symbol to give him an extra action point. "Bittersweet memories of Vincent flash into Tahlvan's mind. In a desperate attempt to finally slay the beast, and hopefully heal the party once it is dispatched, Tahlvan goes in for another attack!" Tahlvan attacks, and slays the beast. The second it is down, he rushes over to his nearest ally, Vincent, to apply first aid. In theory, if Xoa and Xin had not already expended an Action Point Token this session, they too might have bestowed action points to Thalvan for one last relentless onslaught against the enemy.

Important: This house rule is to encourage roleplaying, not to necessarily reward GOOD roleplaying. If a player makes a sincere effort to role play in a way that is appropriate for the situation at hand, even if he or she does a poor job, rewarding APTs to that player would be appropriate.

This is a really neat idea, however, my group is running around 12 players so it might get out of hand. But it does have me thinking of others way I might be able to mechanically award players for non-mechanical thinking.

Thanks!

Xethreau

Josh Gentry - Author, Minister in Training
Thunderfoot said:
This is a really neat idea, however, my group is running around 12 players so it might get out of hand. But it does have me thinking of others way I might be able to mechanically award players for non-mechanical thinking.

Thanks!

I almost flipped my lid when our group had SEVEN people! How do you guys even play? Do you all sit at the same table? O.O

muddy-sneakers

First Post
I will be using this in my campaign. Just created some cards which I am calling the Hero Action Token -to separate from the action point system. Each card has a graphic of the character with description of terms of use on back. When the player uses the card, they turn it in to me and it gets recycled through the game.

Wondering if there should be a limit to how many Hero Action Tokens are given out for each player? It is hard to limit incentives, especially if they result in amazing roleplaying.

Any ideas? Thanks for the house rule.

bert1000

First Post
Wondering if there should be a limit to how many Hero Action Tokens are given out for each player? It is hard to limit incentives, especially if they result in amazing roleplaying.

How about only 1 Hero Action Token (HAT) of another player per player at a time. This would give an incentive to use the HAT immediately.

It really depends on the pace you want to hand them out and people to use them. If I used this, I would try for once a session handing out and use so that it still seems special vs. something you auto get.

Atomo

First Post
Sounds to me as the drama dice from 7th Sea game... And it is not to mean be a flaw. I always loved the drama dice :lol:

Engilbrand

First Post
We use Karma points. Each person starts with 4 or 5. You can add 1 to any check with 1. You can spend 2 to add 1 to an ally's check. If you RP well, you get bonus Karma. Good RP, awesome descriptions, and perfect timing can get you a Karma point. It's great.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases