[Mongoose Traveller] Combining mishap tables and Classic Traveller suvival rolls?

TimeOut

First Post
See title.

Basically I like the mishap tables and the multitude of effects they create during character creation. But I also like the (now called "iron man") survival rolls of Classic Traveller.

MGT basic rules say: If you fail a survival roll in a given term, you are ejected and must roll on the mishap table. Great!
The Iron Man rule does say: If you fail a survival roll, your character dies.

I wish to combine them, so that your character can either fail and die, fail and is forced to roll on the mishap table, or succeed.

My first idea was to add another roll after the survival roll, called "mishap roll". Mechanically identical to the first survival roll, but while the first one kills you, the second only ejects you.

Comments or ideas?

TimeOut

First Post
Thank you. I think we will try this the next time we generate characters. Just to see how it plays.

But I think your chance of survival in a given term goes down with that approach. I am no math wizard, so I can't check that myself unfortunately.

TimeOut

First Post
Well I will certainly try it first. Another idea would be:

One survival roll. If you fail roll 1d6. On a result of 1-3 you die, on a result of 4-6 roll on the mishap table. That would make death possible, but keeps the chance of survival the same.

erisred

First Post
TimeOut said:
See title.

Basically I like the mishap tables and the multitude of effects they create during character creation. But I also like the (now called "iron man") survival rolls of Classic Traveller.

MGT basic rules say: If you fail a survival roll in a given term, you are ejected and must roll on the mishap table. Great!
The Iron Man rule does say: If you fail a survival roll, your character dies.

I wish to combine them, so that your character can either fail and die, fail and is forced to roll on the mishap table, or succeed.

My first idea was to add another roll after the survival roll, called "mishap roll". Mechanically identical to the first survival roll, but while the first one kills you, the second only ejects you.

Comments or ideas?
I am doing it like that, but I renamed the *first* roll the "Continuation" roll. If you make it your continue in the career, if you fail then you have to roll a second time (same mechanic) as to what prevented you from continuing. Fail the second roll and you die, pass it and you roll on the Mishap table.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases