KM's Big Thread of Planescape Races

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich

THERE!

These are the five major Planescape races for my PS4e campaign, all done up nice and pretty, feats and paragon paths for all. The sixth race is "human." I'm keeping it to six major races like the PH does, though with the six "planetouched" subdivisions, we actually have twelve unique species herein.

Some Observations/Notes
  • As far as class compatibility goes, Cleric = Planetouched is best, followed by Bariaur and maybe Githzerai. Fighter= Bariaur is best, but Outcaste Modrons, Githzerai, and Githyanki don't do too shabby. Paladin= Planetouched or or Bariaur are kind of tied, depending on the build, and Githzerai might not do awful. Ranger= Bariaur and Githzerai are tied, depending on build, and Plantouched may contribute. Rogue= Githzerai and Planetouched, but no one is really "optimized" for rogue builds. Warlock= Outcaste Modrons and Githyanki do the best, Planetouched might not do bad. Warlord=Planetouched, Bariaur, Outcastes, and Githyanki all contribute a little, but no "optimization." Wizard=Outcastes, Githzerai, and Githyanki all contribute, but, again, no "optimized" race
  • Because of the classes above, if I *do* add a sixth race, it would probably be slightly Wizard or Rogue optimized, but I like the ability of humans to dominate a few classes that the rest aren't the best suited for, so I may leave 'em blank.
  • The major conflicts of Planescape, as expressed in the races, seem to be Freedom and Equality. This explains 2e's "anti-Harmonium propaganda!" slant, but I'll be trying to steer away from that here. Obviously, the Law/Chaos divide is very powerful in PS, and I think the CG and LE alignments need to be revived for the setting (along with "Chaotic" and "Lawful" as pure alignments).
  • There is also a strong undercurrent of Self-Definition, here. Outcastes and Planetouched do it the best, but the Githzerai and the Githyanki are cast as "changing peoples," and the Bariaur are all about self-definition to begin with. I think this resonates really well with PS's "Belief is Power" theme: you aren't what your blood is, you are what you choose to be.
  • Major conflict for my 4e PS campaign: Fate vs. Free Choice.

....I think I'll keep this one thread going and add my next step just here. My next step is going to be the Factions.

...thoughts thoughts thoughts...

Last edited:

RandomCitizenX

First Post
Just checked it out and really liked the way you rolled all the planetouched into one very thematic race. Only problem I could see is that you have a heroic feat granting darkvision. Considering how rare it is and that the base race doesn't even have low light vision, you may want to consider revising it.

Siberys

Adventurer
A couple of things I saw with this class;

I'd make the ability +2 to one ability of the player's choice.

Does Religion cover planar knowledge? Not sure if that'd be best for a skill bonus...

I think they could stand having another racial feature. Maybe a natural attack? They'd all be mechanically identical, but describe differently. Tentacles for the far realm, claws for the Abyss, etc. Otherwise, maybe a resistance to one type of damage? The only ones that might be hard for are the Feywild and the Shadowfell...

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Thanks for the replies, guys! I'm glad people are digging it. Hope it's pretty enough for ya. ;)

RandomCitizenX said:
Only problem I could see is that you have a heroic feat granting darkvision. Considering how rare it is and that the base race doesn't even have low light vision, you may want to consider revising it.

You're right. :) I guess Low-Light Vision is better for a Heroic-tier feat. I was mostly thinking about giving the kanaima, foundling, and darklings something evocative that they could all share in common. Low-light didn't necessarily jazz me on it. But yeah, good idea. :)

If you've got another idea for what those three could share that would be worth a heroic-teir feat, I'd love to hear it!

Siberys said:
I'd make the ability +2 to one ability of the player's choice.

I really wanted them to have a good theme, seeing as they are quite disparate. Ability score bonuses are one way I could say "Tieflings and Aasimar and Chaonds and Zenythri and Fey'ri and Tanarukk and Shadowswifts are all like this."

Without the bonuses to Wisdom and Charisma, does the flavor marking planetouched as influential and intuitive work as well? And do they have enough in common to stay together as one race without that (does the halo alone do it?)?

Siberys said:
Does Religion cover planar knowledge? Not sure if that'd be best for a skill bonus...

Honestly, I didn't see a skill that did a good job of covering planar knowledge. :) I picked Religion, because what with the devils and the demons and the gods and the angels, it made a certain amount of sense for them to be well-versed (and it easily lets you play a character who was, say, a Pharoah on his home world, or the child of some deific curse, or something). I did that rather than make a new skill, which would hurt a bit of the compatibility, though perhaps a new skill would be warranted for planar adventuring ANYWAY (since dungeoneering and nature don't really cover it ;))....

Siberys said:
I think they could stand having another racial feature. Maybe a natural attack? They'd all be mechanically identical, but describe differently. Tentacles for the far realm, claws for the Abyss, etc. Otherwise, maybe a resistance to one type of damage? The only ones that might be hard for are the Feywild and the Shadowfell...

Maybe...I was comparing it to the Warforged they put out recently, who just have some "fluffy" abilities. Perhaps I should think of a new feat and give planetouched a different origin by default? Perhaps the feat could grant the natural attack (which is a keen idea by the way)?That would give them a little something to work with.

With a natural attack, I see it as (kind of a little) stepping on the toes of their encounter power, which is also an attack. Cool for an option, but I'm not sure I'd want it as a default. Resistances make more sense, but then I've gotta think of something new for the genasi halo to do as an aftereffect....

Sweet ideas got be brainstorming, keep it comin'! :)

RandomCitizenX

First Post
Off the top of my head.... keep the name othersight and make it so they gain a +2 insight bonus to one roll on their next turn after they use their halo. Works well since the other specific planetouched type feats also add to the halo effect.

Since I've been thinking about bariaur in expectation for one of my players in my Planescape campaign, I'll comment on that one. I'd propose the following:

1. I think ability modifiers should be Con and Wis. It's dangerously close to making them a dwarf knock-off, though, so I wouldn't have a problem with Str.

2. I think Bariaur Charge can be balanced with (and thematically should include) a pushback/knockdown effect all the time. Throw in "and push the target 1 square." Or even 2 squares, if you think it's appropriate.

3. I know bariaur traditionally have higher speeds than other races, but I think in this case you could do something more 4th Edition-y. 4e seems to like keeping the adventuring party together most of the time, and since I see bariaur as being not too much swifter around the battlefield than a normal race but maybe being able to scramble along open ground faster, I would knock their Move down to 6 and say that they get +2 to move when they run or charge.
I wish the ability weren't just like the orc racial ability or exactly like the Fast Runner feat, but this would be ideal in my opinion.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
1. I think ability modifiers should be Con and Wis. It's dangerously close to making them a dwarf knock-off, though, so I wouldn't have a problem with Str.

Exactly why I did it with Strength instead of Con. Plus, with a natural weapon and a melee attack as a racial, they can get a lot of milage out of a good STR score, or even a not-bad STR score.

2. I think Bariaur Charge can be balanced with (and thematically should include) a pushback/knockdown effect all the time. Throw in "and push the target 1 square." Or even 2 squares, if you think it's appropriate.

Definitely possible. I just chose to go with damage for the sake of having that "double damage on a charge!" feel.

Actually, since the charge already gives you a +2 attack, I might drop the +2 and add that push (and the feat still lets 'em knock prone, which is different enough). Nice idea!

3. I know bariaur traditionally have higher speeds than other races, but I think in this case you could do something more 4th Edition-y. 4e seems to like keeping the adventuring party together most of the time, and since I see bariaur as being not too much swifter around the battlefield than a normal race but maybe being able to scramble along open ground faster, I would knock their Move down to 6 and say that they get +2 to move when they run or charge.
I wish the ability weren't just like the orc racial ability or exactly like the Fast Runner feat, but this would be ideal in my opinion.

Y'know, you're right about this, though I'd absolutely want it to be different from the orcs and the Fast Runner, they do need to go "faster" in some way, I think (it fits their theme as being wanderers and nomads and travelers, too).

How's this sound: Because they're goats and goats are agile as all get out on craggy rocks and the like, perhaps give them the ability to ignore difficult terrain? So on a flat field, we're all going the same speed, but amongst the rocks and thorns and rubble, everyone but Bariaur Billy is slipping and stumbling....

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases