2nd-level Monster Conversions

the Jester

Legend
Here is my revised version of the chagmat.

Notes on the revision: I have learned a lot about what makes a soldier a soldier; most of my old ones didn't have sufficient lockdown ability, so you'll see a lot of that as I post these revisions.

My previous version of the chagmat priest had spider frenzy as a minor action; I think my new version of it is superior as a leader ability and helps the chagmat gain some extra mobility.

As a final note, I'm pretty sure that I'll eventually add more types of chagmat, they're such a cool monster from such a cool old adventure that I love using them once in a while.

Attachments

• Chagmat.pdf
    83.6 KB · Views: 421

the Jester

Legend
I noticed that the Ape (Level 2 Soldier) has "+x, special senses" for its Senses entry.

Whoops, so it does!

I'll revise apes next, even though there is an official version of them, because you pointed this out. I can even keep most of the names the same, though I'll doubtless make the girallon the "Bigangry Manyarmed Gorillaspawn" or something since there's the official one in MM3.

the Jester

Legend
Here are the revised apes.

Design notes: If they have the healing surge power, they have lower than standard hit points. I gave the soldiers more of a soldiery ability to tie down enemies. I tied the girallon smasher's marking to a variant of the MM3 girallon Threatening Claws aura.

The cave ape underwent a substantial redesign to make it a better lurker. Its old Cave Sneak ability really got split into a trait and its two move action options.

My girallon underwent substantial redesigns to reflect the sensibility of the MM3 girallon and update the numbers while still maintaining its own original flare; I like the image of a girallon holding four adventurers smashing them all together.

Attachments

• Ape.pdf
    83.8 KB · Views: 343

the Jester

Legend
Here is the revised vargouille.

Comments: Wow, what an eye opener this one was! My understanding of 4e monster design and terminology is so much better now than when I wrote these guys.

1. Changed animate to magical beast; animates are animated by magic, these are independent creatures (although undead).

2. The biter had no skirmishing abilities and plenty of controller powers. Rather than drastically revising its powers, I changed its role.

3. The lover had no real lurking ability other than its stealth.

4. Chaotic evil fits way better than just evil.

Attachments

• Vargouille.pdf
    70.8 KB · Views: 340

the Jester

Legend
The astral lantern updated to MM3/MV standards.

Notes: I toned down its blinding ability from at will to a recharge 5, added a lvl 11 minion version and fixed the math. Also, I added a wee bit of flavor text (as usual, tailored to my own campaign; this does let those who haven't played in my game extensively see that the cosmology has changed over time).

Attachments

• Astral Lantern.pdf
    72 KB · Views: 356

the Jester

Legend
I am working on the goatfolk now and am adding a number of new entries, many of which are tied in to my campaign ("goat-headed monsters" is kind of a theme for one of the big evil deities so they tie in really well; see also my entry for Billymen, a demon related to the same god). A wee bit of flavor text, too, also tied to my campaign.

A few notes:

1. The executioner- I added a "mark effect" to them to make them more soldiery; it's based on the paladin's divine challenge. Other than that, I think this guy just got math fixes and cleanup on the chortling taunt (f'rex, I explicitly made it a close burst 4 instead of an unspecified "targets an enemy within 4").

2. I am adding several varieties, including a minion brute. I came up with an interesting mechanical combo for it that I think works well for a minion- extra damage on a crit and an expanded critical hit range when it has no adjacent allies. Since minions usually come in bunches, this means that it is more likely that this ability will actually matter, and it maintains the whole "no tracking required" element of minions (which, while not strictly required, helps speed things along a whole lot imho).

Attachments

• Goatfolk.pdf
    92.2 KB · Views: 544

the Jester

Legend
Revised and updated sharks. I don't recall off-hand what changes I made, other than numeric fixes, but I'm sure it's all for the best. ;)

SHARK

Sharks are amongst the top predators of the oceans of Cydra. Able to scent blood from remarkable distances, sharks often arrive at the scenes of naval battles or conflicts with large sea monsters where blood spills into the water, seeking an easy meal.

Top Predators: Sharks are generally just as willing to eat another shark as they are a human or dolphin. If a creature dies in a conflict with sharks, its surviving companions might be able to escape while the sharks devour their unfortunate friend. On the other hand, non-aquatic creatures thrashing about in the water sound helpless to a shark, making them tempting prey.

Sahuagin Allies:
Very few creatures are able to tame or work with sharks with any degree of success. Sahuagin, however, have been blessed by their dark patron, Sekolah, with a special relationship with them. Sahuagin sometimes even ride sharks into battle, and some scholars claim that there is shark blood running in sahuagin veins.

Bull Shark --- Level 2 Soldier
Medium natural beast (aquatic) --- XP 125
HP 40; Bloodied 20 Initiative +5
AC 18; Fortitude 16; Reflex 14; Will 14 Perception +3
Speed swim 8

TRAITS

Aquatic

The bull shark can breathe underwater. In aquatic combat, it gains a +2 bonus to attack rolls against nonaquatic creatures.

STANDARD ACTIONS

(mbasic) Bite * At Will

Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +7 vs. AC.
Hit: 2d6+2 damage, and the target is grabbed (escape DC 13).

(melee) Aggressive Charge * Encounter
Effect: The bull shark charges and makes the following attack in place of a melee basic attack.
Hit: 3d6+3 damage.
---
Str 18 Dex 14 Wis 15
Con 16 Int 2 Cha 6
Alignment unaligned

Tiger Shark --- Level 4 Brute
Large natural beast (aquatic) --- XP 175
HP 66; Bloodied 33 Initiative +4
AC 16; Fortitude 17; Reflex 16; Will 16 Perception +4
Speed swim 8

TRAITS

Aquatic

The tiger shark can breathe underwater. In aquatic combat, it gains a +2 bonus to attack rolls against nonaquatic creatures.

STANDARD ACTIONS

(mbasic) Bite * At Will

Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +9 vs. AC.
Hit: 3d6+5 damage.

TRIGGERED ACTIONS

Blood Seeker * At Will

Trigger: A creature within 20 squares of the tiger shark becomes bloodied.
Effect (Immediate Reaction): The tiger shark shifts 2 squares. It must end this shift closer to the triggering creature than it started, and it must shift if able.
---
Str 18 Dex 14 Wis 15
Con 16 Int 2 Cha 6
Alignment unaligned

Thresher Shark --- Level 5 Controller
Medium natural beast (aquatic) --- XP 200
HP 64; Bloodied 32 Initiative +6
AC 19; Fortitude 17; Reflex 17; Will 17 Perception +4
Speed swim 8

TRAITS

Aquatic

The tiger shark can breathe underwater. In aquatic combat, it gains a +2 bonus to attack rolls against nonaquatic creatures.

STANDARD ACTIONS

(mbasic) Bite * At Will

Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +10 vs. AC.
Hit: 1d10+5 damage, or 2d10+5 against a dazed target.

(melee) Threshing Tail * At Will
Requirement: There must be no enemy adjacent to the thresher shark that it is aware of.
Attack: Melee 3 (one creature); +8 vs. Fortitude.
Hit: 2d8+4 damage, and the thresher shark slides the target one square. Additionally, the target is dazed until the end of the thresher shark's next turn.
---
Str 15 Dex 19 Wis 15
Con 16 Int 3 Cha 6
Alignment unaligned

Megalodon Shark --- Level 24 Skirmisher
Gargantuan natural beast (aquatic) --- XP 6,050
HP 224; Bloodied 112 Initiative +23
AC 38; Fortitude 36; Reflex 38; Will 34 Perception +16
Speed Swim 11

TRAITS

Aquatic

The megalodon shark can breathe underwater. In aquatic combat, it gains a +2 bonus to attack rolls against nonaquatic creatures.

STANDARD ACTIONS

(mbasic) Bite * At Will

Attack: Melee 2 (one creature); +29 vs. AC.
Hit: 4d6+18 damage.

(close) Huge Bite * At Will
Attack: Close blast 2 (each creature in blast); +27 vs. AC.
Hit: 3d8+11 damage.

(melee) Primeval Ram * Recharge 5 6
Effect: The megalodon swims its speed.
Attack: Melee 1 (one vehicle); +27 vs. Fortitude.
Hit: 3d12+22 damage, and the target is out of control until the pilot and crew use a total of three standard actions to regain control.
Effect: The megalodon makes a secondary attack against each creature on board the vehicle.
Secondary Attack: +25 vs. Reflex.
Hit: 2d10+10 damage and the target falls prone.

TRIGGERED ACTIONS

(melee) Blood Frenzy * At Will

Trigger: An enemy within 5 squares becomes bloodied.
Effect (Immediate Reaction): The megalodon shark swims its speed to a space from which it can reach the triggering creature. It uses Bite on up to two enemies within reach at any time during this movement, including the triggering creature.
---
Str 26 Dex 29 Wis 19
Con 24 Int 7 Cha 14
Alignment unaligned

Attachments

• Sharks.pdf
    84.9 KB · Views: 301

the Jester

Legend
Here are the revised bats, brought up to MM3 standards.

BAT

Source:
3.5e Monster Manual (bat swarm, dire bat); 1e Fiend Folio (giant vampire bat)

Bats are flying mammals. Although many bats are harmless, eating fruit or insects, some monstrous types are quite dangerous to human and demihuman settlements.

Bat Swarm --- Level 2 Skirmisher
Medium natural beast (swarm) --- XP 125
HP 36; Bloodied 18 Initiative +6
AC 16; Fortitude 13; Reflex 16; Will 12 Perception +1
Speed 2, fly 6 (hover) Blindsight 10
Resist half damage from melee and ranged attacks; Vulnerable 10 against close and area attacks

TRAITS

Swarm Attack * Aura 1

A creature that ends its turn in the swarm takes 4 damage and is blinded until the start of its next turn.

Swarm
The swarm can occupy the same space as another creature, and an enemy can enter its space, which is difficult terrain. The swarm cannot be pulled, pushed or slid by melee or ranged attacks. It can squeeze through any opening that is large enough for at least one of the creatures it comprises.

STANDARD ACTIONS

(mbasic) Battering Wings * At Will

Hit: 2d4 damage and the target is blinded until the start of its next turn.

TRIGGERED ACTIONS

(close) Blinding Burst of Bats * Encounter

Trigger: The bat swarm is reduced to 0 hit points.
Effect (Free Action): The target is blinded until the start of its next turn.
---
Str 5 Dex 17 Wis 10
Con 12 Int 2 Cha 6
Alignment unaligned Languages -

Dire Bat --- Level 8 Skirmisher
Medium natural beast --- XP 350
HP 89; Bloodied 44 Initiative +11
AC 22; Fortitude 20; Reflex 22; Will 20 Perception +12
Speed 3, fly 8 Blindsight 10
Vulnerable 10 thunder (plus see sensitive hearing)

TRAITS

Sensitive Hearing

If the dire bat takes thunder damage, it is deafened and loses blindsight until the end of its next turn.

STANDARD ACTIONS

(mbasic) Bite * At Will

Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +13 vs. AC.
Hit: 2d8+7 damage.
Flyby Attack * At Will
Effect: The dire bat flies up to 8 squares without provoking opportunity attacks and uses bite at any point during that movement.
---
Skills Stealth +14
Str 15 Dex 21 Wis 17
Con 17 Int 2 Cha 11

Giant Vampire Bat --- Level 10 Minion Skirmisher
Small shadow beast --- XP Value
HP 1; a missed attack never damages a minion Initiative +12
AC 24; Fortitude 22; Reflex 23; Will 21 Perception +8
Speed 2, fly 8 Blindsight 10

STANDARD ACTIONS

(mbasic) Bite * At Will

Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +15 vs. AC.
Hit: 5 damage and the giant vampire bat attaches to the target. The target can free itself by killing the bat or by making an Acrobatics or Athletics check, DC 18, as a move action. While it is attached to the creature, whenever the target moves, shifts or teleports, the giant vampire bat moves, shifts or teleports with it. The target does not provoke opportunity attacks from the giant vampire bat and the giant vampire bat does not provoke opportunity attacks at all.

(melee) Bloodsucker * At Will
Requirement: The giant vampire bat must be attached to a creature.
Attack: Melee 1 (the creature to which the giant vampire bat is attached); +13 vs. Fortitude.
Damage: 12 damage and the target is weakened until the end of its next turn.
---
Str 5 Dex 21 Wis 17
Con 18 Int 3 Cha 13

Attachments

• Bat.pdf
    82.5 KB · Views: 359

the Jester

Legend
Here is the mephit, revised to MM3 standards.

The main thing worthy of note here is the addition of several varieties- the mist mephit (lvl 2 lurker), the diamond mephit (a md/high-heroic minion) and the swarm of mephits (paragon, baby!). I think the diamond mephit looks like annoyingly good fun, and the swarm... well, it's a picture in my head. Check its flavor text and I think you'll see what I mean- imagine a ball of dozens of malicious and mischievous 7-year-olds out to have fun. Shudder.

MEPHIT

Source:
1e Fiend Folio.

Mephits are small humanoid creatures, often with wings, composed of elemental material. There are dozens or perhaps even hundreds of varieties of mephits, from the more common fire mephit to the bizarre and rarely encountered mold mephit. Usually mischievous and destructive, mephits tend to get into things they shouldn't, destroy valuables for fun, try to trick living creatures into putting themselves in danger and steal objects, animals and even babies just to do it.

Mephits are usually 2' to 4' tall. They have exaggerated features, including hooked noses, pointed ears, wide eyes and protruding chins. Each mephit is composed entirely of elemental material, be it fire, mist, salt or something else.

Easily Created: Mephits are easily created, often by accident, in magical experiments. They are also often spawned spontaneously on the Elemental Chaos in highly energetic areas or from powerful storms. Wizards on other planes who are working with raw elemental matter or energy sometimes create mephits, either intentionally or by accident (and sometimes without even realizing it!). Powerful elemental creatures studied in the magic arts can sometimes create mephits to serve them, though they are amongst the least reliable servants in the multiverse.

Difficult to Control: Because of the primal chaotic stuff of which they are formed, mephits are very difficult to control for any length of time. They seem able to eventually break free of most forms of compulsion, and the short attention span of a mephit makes it unlikely to carry out complicated instructions or to handle problems that are time sensitive.

Mixed Groups: Like many elemental creatures, mephits often join in groups of mixed type. Thus, an earth mephit, acid mephit and magma mephit might all travel as a group.

Cruel: Mephits delight in tormenting creatures, especially helpless ones. More than one group of mephits has seen a victory snatched away at the last moment because they tried to extend the fun, and clever adventurers sometimes capitalize on this tendency.

Ice Mephit --- Level 2 Artillery
Small elemental humanoid (air, water) --- XP 125
HP 32; Bloodied 16 Initiative +5
AC 14; Fortitude 14; Reflex 16; Will 13 Perception +0
Speed 4 (ice walk)
Resist cold 10; Vulnerable fire 5

TRAITS

Ice Walk

The mephit ignores difficult or challenging terrain resulting from snowy or icy conditions.

STANDARD ACTIONS

(mbasic) Freezing Claw (cold) * At Will

Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +5 vs. Fortitude.
Hit: 2d6+2 cold damage.

(ranged) Frost Breath (cold) * At Will
Attack: Ranged 10 (one creature); +7 vs. Fortitude.
Hit: 1d10+4 cold damage.

MINOR ACTIONS

(area) Ice Patch (cold, zone) * Encounter

Effect: The mephit creates a zone of icy ground in an area burst 1 within 10 squares that lasts until the end of the encounter. Any creature without ice walk that starts its turn in this zone must make an Acrobatics check, DC 9, or fall prone.
---
Str 10 Dex 18 Wis 9
Con 14 Int 13 Cha 13
Alignment evil Languages Common, Primordial

Steam Mephit --- Level 2 Artillery
Small elemental humanoid (fire, water) --- XP 125
HP 29; Bloodied 14 Initiative +4
AC 14; Fortitude 12; Reflex 16; Will 11 Perception +0
Speed 4, fly 6
Resist 10 fire

TRAITS

Suppressed Steam

If the steam mephit takes cold damage, it cannot use steam cloud until the end of its next turn.

STANDARD ACTIONS

(mbasic) Claw (fire) * At Will

Hit: 1d6 damage plus 1d6+2 fire damage.

(ranged) Scalding Splash (fire) * At Will
Attack: Ranged 5 (one creature); +7 vs. Reflex.
Hit: 1d10+4 fire damage, and each creature adjacent to the target takes 3 fire damage.

MINOR ACTIONS

Steam Cloud (zone) * Recharges when first bloodied

Effect: The stream mephit creates a zone of steam in a close burst 1. This zone lasts until the end of the mephit's next turn. While within this zone, steam mephits are invisible and other creatures gain concealment.
---
Str 6 Dex 17 Wis 9
Con 11 Int 10 Cha 9

Mud Mephit --- Level 2 Brute
Small elemental humanoid (earth, water) --- XP 125
HP 48; Bloodied 24 Initiative +1
AC 14; Fortitude 16; Reflex 12; Will 11 Perception +0
Speed 4

STANDARD ACTIONS

(mbasic) Mud Strike * At Will

Hit: 2d6+4 damage and the target is slowed (save ends).

(melee) Stifling Strike * Encounter
Hit: 3d8+3 damage, and the target is immobilized (save ends).
Aftereffect: The target is slowed (save ends).
---
Str 14 Dex 11 Wis 9
Con 18 Int 7 Cha 9

Salt Mephit --- Level 2 Controller
Small elemental humanoid --- XP 125
HP 38; Bloodied 19 Initiative +1
AC 16; Fortitude 14; Reflex 14; Will 14 Perception +0
Speed 5

STANDARD ACTIONS

(mbasic) Salty Claw * At Will

Hit: 1d6+6 damage (2d6+6 if the target is bloodied).

(area) Salt Detonation (zone) * Recharge 5 6
Attack: Area burst 1 within 10 (each creature in burst); +4 vs. Fortitude.
Hit: 1d10+1 damage (2d10+1 if the target is bloodied).
Effect: The area of the burst becomes a zone strewn with large chunks of salt that is difficult terrain that lasts until cleared. A square of the zone that is washed with 5 gallons of water is also cleared.
---
Str 14 Dex 11 Wis 9
Con 14 Int 13 Cha 13

Mist Mephit --- Level 2 Lurker
Small elemental humanoid (air) --- XP 125
HP 29; Bloodied 14 Initiative +8
AC 16; Fortitude 12; Reflex 15; Will 14 Perception +0
Speed 4, fly 6 (hover)

STANDARD ACTIONS

(mbasic) Misty Claw * At Will

Hit: 1d8+2 damage.

(melee) Clammy Surprise * At Will

Requirement: The mist mephit must be invisible and insubstantial.
Effect: The mist mephit shifts 1 square into an enemy's space and makes the following attack.
Attack: Melee 0 (one creature); +5 vs. Fortitude.
Hit: 3d6+5 damage.
Effect: The mist mephit slides the target 1 square and loses invisible and insubstantial.

Dissolve into Mist (polymorph) * At Will
Effect: The mist mephit becomes invisible and insubstantial until it attacks or the end of its next turn.

TRIGGERED ACTIONS

Puff of Mist (zone) * Encounter

Trigger: The mist mephit dies.
Effect (No Action): The mephit's body explodes in a zone of mist in a close burst 1 that lasts until the next turn of the creature or effect that killed it. Any creature in this zone gains concealment from creatures 1 square away and total concealment from creatures farther away.
---
Str 6 Dex 17 Wis 9
Con 11 Int 10 Cha 13

Fire Mephit Guardian --- Level 4 Artillery
Small elemental humanoid (fire) --- XP 175
HP 45; Bloodied 22 Initiative +6
AC 16; Fortitude 16; Reflex 18; Will 14 Perception +1
Speed 4, fly 6 (hover)
Resist 10 fire; Vulnerable 5 cold

STANDARD ACTIONS

(mbasic) Burning Claw (fire) * At Will

Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +9 vs. AC.
Hit: 1d6 damage plus 1d6 fire damage and ongoing 5 fire damage (save ends).

(ranged) Fire Breath (fire) * At Will
Attack: Ranged 10 (one creature); +9 vs. Reflex.
Hit: 2d6 fire damage and ongoing 5 fire damage (save ends).
---
Str 10 Dex 19 Wis 9
Con 15 Int 13 Cha 13

Diamond Mephit --- Level 9 Minion Soldier
Small elemental humanoid (earth) --- XP 100
HP 1; a missed attack never damages a minion Initiative +7
AC 25; Fortitude 23; Reflex 19; Will 21 Perception +2
Speed 6

TRAITS

Hard as Diamond

Whenever the diamond mephit takes damage except for necrotic, psychic or thunder damage, it makes a saving throw. If it succeeds, it does not take the damage.

STANDARD ACTIONS

(mbasic) Diamond Blow * At Will

Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +14 vs. AC.
Hit: 9 damage.

TRIGGERED ACTIONS

Harry * At Will

Trigger: An adjacent enemy moves or shifts into a position not adjacent to the diamond mephit.
Effect (Immediate Reaction): The diamond mephit moves up to 4 squares to a space adjacent to the triggering creature and makes the following attack.
Attack: Melee 1 (the triggering creature); +16 vs. AC.
Hit: 9 damage.
---
Str 11 Dex 12 Wis 7
Con 20 Int 7 Cha 12

Swarm of Mephits --- Level 12 Skirmisher
Huge elemental beast (air, earth, fire, swarm, water) --- XP 700
A swarm of mephits is composed of dozens of mephits of all kinds climbing, flying, crawling and walking over each other in a giant ball. The mephits of the swarm are clearly a mixture of many having a lot of fun on the exterior, and dozens more miserably crushed together in the interior. A swarm of mephits is generally far more stupid than the sum of its parts, and even though individual mephits might be able to reason and speak, the group is too overwhelmingly chaotic for communication to take place.
HP 118; Bloodied 59 Initiative +12
AC 26; Fortitude 26; Reflex 22; Will 19 Perception +2
Speed 8, fly 5 (hover, maximum altitude 1)
Resist half damage from melee and ranged attacks; Vulnerable 15 against close and area attacks

TRAITS

Swarm Attack * Aura 1

Any enemy that starts its turn in the aura takes 10 damage. Roll 1d12 to determine the damage's type against each enemy that takes damage: 1- acid, 2- cold, 3- fire, 4- lightning, 5- radiant, 6- thunder, 7 to 12- untyped.

Swarm
The swarm of mephits can occupy the same space as another creature, and an enemy can enter its space, which is difficult terrain. The swarm cannot be pulled, pushed or slid by melee or ranged attacks. It can squeeze through any opening that is large enough for at least one small creature to move through.

STANDARD ACTIONS

(close) Mephit Swarm * At Will

Attack: Close burst 1 (each creature in burst); +15 vs. AC.
Hit: 2d6+1 damage. When a creature takes this damage, roll 1d12 to determine the damage type as noted in its swarm attack aura.
Effect: The swarm of mephits shifts up to 4 squares.

(melee) Grasping Mephits * At Will
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +17 vs. AC.
Hit: 2d6+3 damage, and the swarm grabs the target (escape DC 20).

(melee) Join the Fun * At Will
Requirement: There may not be more than one creature already in the middle of the swarm.
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature grabbed by the swarm); +15 vs. Reflex.
Hit: The target is passed inward into the center square of the swarm (escape DC 28- if a creature in the center of the swarm makes a successful escape check, it moves to a space of its choice adjacent to the swarm). While within the swarm, the target is not subject to the swarm's swarm attack aura, but it has line of sight to no creatures other than the swarm (although other creatures do have line of sight to the target) and takes ongoing 25 damage. When a creature takes this damage, roll 1d12 to determine the damage type as noted in its swarm attack aura. If the swarm moves, any creatures in its center square move with it.
---
Str 22 Dex 18 Wis 2
Con 14 Int 5 Cha 10
Alignment evil Languages -

Attachments

• Mephit.pdf
    96.7 KB · Views: 567

Remove ads