The Monster Project

Alphastream

Adventurer
Ant Lion?

I'm wondering if anyone has ideas on the Ant Lion, appearing in MMII (the AD&D book).

The Ant Lion is an 8HD creature that hides in a cone-shaped depression in the sand. A creature investigating the depression (which can look like a cave 50% of the time) has a 50% chance each round to slip and slide down the sides, landing at the bottom. The Ant Lion then emerges. It attacks with large mandibles, and a hit indicates the jaws are wrapped around the victim. Damage is then 5-20 (AD&D) each round, automagically. AC is 2, so fairly decent.

Sounds like a Level 8 Lurker Solo monster. Ability to have perfect concealment under the sand before combat, perhaps even can go back under during combat? Is there an existing mechanic for the grab and deal damage each round that seems reasonable? Add some sort of poison bite and make it a slow/immobilize like the Carrion Crawler? Just an attack with more damage like the Chuul? I'm thinking making it more like a Choker. I just don't have the experience of how well a solo works grabbing... it could only damage one PC at a time.

I am also not sure whether it is best to have the sand cone be part of the solo creature, or make him an elite combined with an equal level trap. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Teos

Edit: Ok, sounds like no opinions. I've come up with a plan and will run it this Friday. I'll post the monster afterward (in case I need to tweak the critter based on the playtest).

Last edited:

Rechan

Adventurer
Jester, if you could do me a favor. I would appreciate a conversion of Kopru. Preferably 3-4th level-ish?

Stats for them can be found on this web enhancement for Stormwrack.

I wouldn't mind seeing a conversion of those... uh. The squid-guys. Morkoths or something.

And something like eels.

(If you haven't noticed, I need some aquatic stuff. ;))

the Jester

Legend
Sorry, time is very limited just now- even the regular conversions I'm doing have slowed down a lot (you'll notice).

For the record, I like the idea of ant lion sand traps as a trap in addition to the ant lion itself.

I plan on making kopru somewhere around 10th, prolly- morkoths are going in there somewhere too, but I am not sure where.

I have a few sharks done (2nd level), as well as ixitxachitl and brain corals... but I can't think of much else that I have already done at this point. Between trying to wrap some of my story hours up, getting my 4e game into full swing, low staffing at work, my birthday week and Burning Man I have a lot going on right now! :)

Orius

Legend
No mimics? The hell? I'm think I'm beginning to agree with the opinion that 4e was released incomplete or something.

quindia

First Post
How about the Aspis - from A1 Slave Pits of the Undercity? I gave them a try, but I'd like to see what you might come up with since I scrapped several other conversions I made for yours!

Alphastream

Adventurer
I'm wondering if anyone has ideas on the Ant Lion, appearing in MMII (the AD&D book).

I converted the Giant Ant Lion. I found it is also in Sandstorm (3.5) and borrowed one of the power ideas from there. The monster could likely be more powerful if combined with a trap, but I liked the ecological truth of having the environment be a power, as that's how it really works (an ant lion creates its cone, it doesn't find it).

Giant Ant Lion Level 8 Solo Lurker
Large natural beast XP 1750
Initiative +11 Senses Perception +11; darkvision; tremmorsense
HP 368; Bloodied 184
AC 24; Fortitude 23, Reflex 22, Will 20
Immune poison; Resist 10 fire; Vulnerable 5 cold
Saving Throws +5
Speed 2, burow 6
Action Points 2

m Bite (standard; at-will) ♦ Poison
Threatening Reach 2; +13 vs. AC; 2d6 + 5 damage plus ongoing 5 poison. Target is grabbed.

m Devour (minor; at-will) ♦ Poison
Only against grabbed target; +11 vs. Fortitude; 2d8 + 5 damage plus ongoing 5 poison, and target is weakened (escape ends).
Miss: Half damage plus ongoing poison 5.

r Throw Sand (standard; at-will)
Range 20; +11 vs. Reflex; 1d8 + 5 damage and the target is knocked prone (see Cunning Home for additional effects).

a Whirl Foe (standard; recharge 5,6)
Requires grabbed target. Close burst 3; +11 vs. Reflex; 3d10 + 5 damage and knocked prone. The grabbed target takes 5 damage, +5 damage for each opponent struck.

a Cloud of Dust (free, when first bloodied; encounter)
Close burst 10; targets creatures; +11 vs. Ref; the target is stunned until the end of the target’s next turn.
Aftereffect: The target is blinded (save ends).

Cunning Home (no action; encounter)
The ant lion lies in wait at the bottom of a 100’ diameter conical home of loose sand or rock. On the beginning of their turn, any creature standing in the cone must make an Acrobatics check, DC 20. Failure results in falling prone. A creature that falls prone in the cone is pulled 5 squares toward the ant lion. A prone creature may get up with a move action, and may move towards the ant lion as if it were difficult terrain. A climb (Athletics) check, DC 20, is required to move away from the ant lion or to move laterally. Failing by 4 or less results in no movement. Failing by 5 or more results in falling prone and sliding.

Alignment Unaligned Languages -
Skills Athletics +15, Perception +15
Str 20 (+9) Dex 17 (+7) Wis 17 (+7)
Con 20 (+9) Int 15 (+6) Cha 10 (+4)

Please feel free to add this to the 8th level monsters if it is of interest. My group had a blast with this monster. It was an excellent challenge, and the whirl foe and bloodied reaction were enjoyed by all.

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
Please feel free to add this to the 8th level monsters if it is of interest. My group had a blast with this monster. It was an excellent challenge, and the whirl foe and bloodied reaction were enjoyed by all.

Nice one! I'll add it to the 8th-level list when I get there. (It'll prolly be about a month before I have time to really get back to this project, though.)

Hodag

First Post
Jester, you are a deity among humanity! I'm working on converting the entire 2e Al Qadim bestiary to 4e, and you've already done 15 of them. Thank you so very much.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases