[eTools] How I'd Change The Interface (Fluid guys; feel free to steal these ideas)

mattcolville

Adventurer
There are a couple of things I'd do to change the interface of eTools to make it more user-friendly.

1) I'd have a floating window that displayed the character I was working on. As I add and change things, I see that window update and the changes are reflected.

2) I'd use a lot of mouse-overs. When I mouse-over a bonus or a value, I want the pop-up to tell me A: where the bonuses are coming from and B: any bonuses I think I should be getting, but am not. I know B sounds impossibly difficult, but it can be done. If I've bought an item that grants a bonus to a skill, but I'm not getting that bonus for some reason, eTools should be able to tell me why.

3) Many things that are currently pop-ups shouldn't be. When I'm working on something like generating a character's stats, the different generations options should be listed right there along the side of the window, with radial buttons showing me which one I'm currently using. Making these things pop-ups effectively 'buries' them and causes a lot of people to wonder what the hell is going on when they can't find it.

4) I'd default things to user-defined, when there's a user defined option.

5) I'd change some of the names of things. Off the top of my head, the list of items you can buy should have different names, so users know that +2 longsword isn't on there, and you have to make it yourself. Also, instead of the button that let's me make items, I'd include "User Defined" or "Build Generic Item" on the list of things you can buy. Then, when I select that, it lists all the one's I've made already (so I don't have to make a new +2 longsword every time) and gives me the 'build your own' button.)

6) When you make a selection that limits further selections, eTools should automatically limit those further selections. My Small character shouldn't be defaulting to buying Medium armor.

Therigwin

First Post
7. Add materials from pg 242 of the DMG to the purchase screen.

8. Make user entered stats start at 1 instead of 8 and let us type a number in there instead.

9. Move the level added bonuses and inherent bonus to the main stat's screen instead of the roll screen.

10. Allowing naming of items, weapons, etc when being purchased. I want to name that short sword sting when I buy it, even if it is not magical. (everyone should have a personal connection with their equipment)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases