Maps - Jon Roberts' Map thread

torstan

First Post
I'll stick all my maps in this thread rather than force people to search a number of different threads. So, first off, here's the newest one done for a game today:

Farmstead.jpg

Go to here for the full-size version of this and all the other maps in this thread.

torstan

First Post
Thanks a lot! It was a fun map to draw.

Here's the bits of the map for those that are interested in lifting the elements for their own use:

barn.png
farmhouse.png
tree1.png
tree2.png
tree2b.png
tree3.png
tree3b.png
tree4.png
tree4b.png
wc.png

torstan

First Post
In a similar style, here is a regional map:
Regional-Map-90142308

Dreeston+Surrounds.jpg

If it is of use to people, you can get the full
size version as well as versions without the place names and without the labels here

torstan

First Post
Thanks! I hadn't really done a regional map before so it was an interesting challenge. I'm starting a new 4e game (aren't we all?) and it seemed like a good time to have a shot at one. I'm really happy with how it turned out.

I'll try not to post without an image to add, but there's nothing new this time. However, as I am collating old images as well, here's a map I posted here that has fallen off the end of the boards. A shipwreck:

shipwreck.jpg

Here's a launch to go with it:
launch.png

and finally the wrecked ship itself, for those who want to make their own shipwreck maps:
wreckedShip2.png

These are (apart from the launch) at significantly lower resolution than the originals. The high-res versions can be picked up here:
http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/torstan/Locations/Shipwreck/

arcanaman

First Post
How did you get your regional map to look like I've been trying to get my

to look like something similar but they never turnout the way I want them to.

torstan

First Post
Thanks! Make sure you yoink the big one in the gallery I provided the link to.

As for how to get the look of the regional map, I use gimp (a free image editor somewhat like photoshop). I start with a parchment background, lay in a careful line drawing (all the lines you see on the map are done at this point) and then lay down the colours. The fina step is to use the dodge/burn tools of Gimp to create highlights and shadows to get a sense of height and depth. If you're interested, and want some help developing your regional map, head over to the cartographer's guild:
http://forum.cartographersguild.com/index.php
where you'll find lots of friendly people who'll give you advice, as well as a shed load of tutorials, and the work-in-progress threads for all of the maps above.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases