Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder RPG AR3 -- Review

joela

First Post
My review's up:

Pathfinder RPG AR3

Right now, I feel that the game's Alpha state puts it in a position where it's complete enough to showcase Paizo's intentions with the system but rough enough that it still needs the 3.x SRD. Thus it's hard to view PRPG as its own separate game. Worse, unlike similar games like Malhavoc's Arcana Unearthed, the goal for backwards-compatibility makes it hard for current 3.x DMs and players -- its future audience -- to stop comparing PRPG with the older system. I ultimately think that newbies will have no problems with PRPG. Folks used to playing 3.x, though, will have to relearn as much as, if not more, when they switched from 3.0 to 3.5.

Kaisoku

First Post
Fairly good review. However, something I found kind of odd with your final comments.

joela said:
Right now, I feel that the game's Alpha state puts it in a position where it's complete enough to showcase Paizo's intentions with the system but rough enough that it still needs the 3.x SRD. Thus it's hard to view PRPG as its own separate game.

When they say it's an Alpha state rules pdf, they mean it. The Beta and Final books will be have everything it needs to be considered a separate book. The Alpha rules were put together so that people could give feedback now, which requires the rest of the 3.5 set to play.

Here's the text from the .pdf file:

Pathfinder Alpha 3 said:
When combined with the 3.5 rules set, these rules allow you to begin play immediately. In August, we will release the Beta version of these rules as a softcover book and a free PDF, covering everything else you need to have a complete campaign.

It's a bit harsh to say that it's hard to view the game as separate when the only rules book so far isn't stand alone on purpose.

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
I'm going to agree with kaisoku here.

Its really not proper to be reviewing that book yet.

Rather, get on pathfinder's website and hit them hard about everything you want addressed in the game before it gets finished. By opening it to an Alpha they are asking for it to be analyzed while it is -IN DEVELOPMENT-.

But it is important to remember that is it, after all, just in development at this stage.

Qwillion

First Post
Au/ae

Malhavoc's arcana unearthed, ill requires the Dungeon master's Guide, and the Monster Manual. So you are still refering back to the SRD if your the DM,. This is true even of its updated status to Monte Cook's Arcana Evolved.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
I think that's a fair review.

One other point that is being discussed on the Paizo boards is high level play, and how it is important to change the game enough that higher levels are more playable. I think that the only workable answer is to put some limitations on buffs and max out BABs at a certain level. Iterative attacks should maybe be replaced with a better mechanic as well. But I think all this is doable within the game's framework.

KingCrab

First Post
Good review. Thanks for the information.

I wish they had come up with something that was very similar to 3.5, but it looks like that's not what they're doing. That's a shame because I liked 3.5 a lot. With Paizo putting out 3.5 stuff and WotC putting out 4e stuff I would have been purchasing from both. But now, with Paizo changing 3.5 so much for Pathfinder, I can tell that they aren't going to be giving me what I want.

Erik Mona

Adventurer
It's not really that radical of a shift from 3.5, in my opinion.

Fortunately, you can download the Alpha for free and make your own judgment!

--Erik Mona
Publisher
Paizo Publishing

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases