You reap what you sow - GSL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
They aren't mutually exclusive. If I had to guess, I'd say that the 'Skaff effect' was the business case for doing it, but the concept of open gaming was his motivation.

Yeah, I was thinking that as I posted.

Ryan (and Peter) must have known that their WotC lives may have had an end (for different reasons perhaps), but this would assure that they could always make D&D stuff without worrying about who was the copyright holder.

Cadfan

First Post
Ruin Explorer said:
I dunno about you, I was too lazy/didn't care enough to find out. You seem to be joining in the "psychology" of not telling us, though. Why are you trying to disconcert me, Cadfan? WHY?!?!?
Because I don't know either. :) I tried googling, but it became apparent that it would take more time than I can afford to invest in between tasks at work.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Doug McCrae said:
Has much use been made of 3rd party produced OGC by other 3rd party publishers?
I've seen a lot of that going on. Whether those are just many, many isolated cases, so to speak - I'm not sure. IOW, no idea what the figures are.

Psion

Adventurer
Doug McCrae said:

Yes. There have been several long section 15s. Now this has a way of amplifying quickly, but that alone should suggest evidence it is happening.

For example, are there modules (either in print or pdf form) or websites making use of the Tome of Horrors monsters?

Can't think of ToH examples off the top of my head, though I think a few DCCs have been using them. I recall some Fiery Dragon adventures using Creature Collection material. And many Pathfinder adventures have been getting a lot of use out of Green Ronin's Advanced Bestiary. (Which makes me smile - awesome + awesome.)

Gotham Gamemaster

First Post
Doug McCrae said:
Has much use been made of 3rd party produced OGC by other 3rd party publishers? For example, are there modules (either in print or pdf form) or websites making use of the Tome of Horrors monsters? And if not, of what value is 3rd party produced OGC?

Paizo makes use of them in its Pathfinder modules and APs and also GR's Book of Fiends, IIRC.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Doug McCrae said:

Yes.

Find a 3rd party product and read the Section 15 sometime. Complete rulebooks will tend to use more OGC than supplements, supplements will use more than settings, settings will use more than adventures.

For example, are there modules (either in print or pdf form) or websites making use of the Tome of Horrors monsters?

Is that a specific litmus test? I don't know the answer to that specific question.

I can answer from personal experience.

I developed my Vehicle Chase rules in Grim Tales from concepts in Spycraft. Barsoomcore (Corey Reid) took those rules from Grim Tales, worked them over, made them his bitch, and then republished the whole thing as Hot Pursuit through Adamant Entertainment.

IIRC Hot Pursuit appears in the S.15 of True20, so that particular concept got refined through four different publishers and four different published works.

This is but one example of MANY.

And if not, of what value is 3rd party produced OGC?

No offense intended, and I am not singling you out by any means, but ignorance about the amount of 3PP OGC is not an indication that it doesn't exist.

(It's certainly a good indication of just how rarely folks flip to the S.15 designations, though for me it's Step 1 of any purchase.)

Zil

Explorer
Doug McCrae said:
Has much use been made of 3rd party produced OGC by other 3rd party publishers? For example, are there modules (either in print or pdf form) or websites making use of the Tome of Horrors monsters? And if not, of what value is 3rd party produced OGC?
For one, I know that the Paizo adventure paths (post Dungeon era) use 3rd party OGC, and in particular, the Tome of Horrors.

MongooseMatt

First Post
Doug McCrae said:

We have - the Ultimates contained a great deal. The 1st Edition B5 RPG had its space combat system based on FFG's Dragonstar. . .

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Ahh, 3rd party OGC, like the stuff I have in my website (in sig), I think there is even a "S15" on there somewhere....

As far as "crippled" OGC goes, there was one very high profile publisher who did release some complicated and restrictive designations.

But GR, Necro, XPR...all 100% open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases