You reap what you sow - GSL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Wulf Ratbane said:
More to the point, WotC never cared to use any Open Content one way or the other.

True true. And the one time they did use OGC (back of MM2; the two monsters from the Creature Collection), they got the Section 15 stuff wrong. Go figure.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Voadam said:
My guess would be the pocket DMG and MM.
Didn't know there were such things. Fair enough.

Otherwise, sure, they could print out most of the stuff, and bind it horribly (or not at all) - oh yay, and more power to them, I guess. . .

I don't think the OGL was as successful (for either WotC or 3pp) as it could/should have been. Some of that can be attributed to malice, greed, or selfishness. But I think most of it can be attributed to confusion, uncertainty, inexperience, and not-invented-here syndrome.

It was a great experiment, to take something that wasn't (and still isn't) fully developed in the software world and adapt it to a publishing model. The proponents of the OGL deserve extraordinary credit for vision and determination, and everyone who published OGL material gets a pat on the back for being a part of it. It's unfortunate that we likely won't see a second generation of it, because such radical departures from the norm are rarely perfect from the get go. Another generation of refinement, and a generation of designers and publishers who grew up in a post-OGL world, would have made things even better, I think.

Even if you never bought anything but WotC books, you benefitted from the OGL, just like you benefitted from any other game that's been published that you may never even have heard of. None of the work done for 3e or 4e was done in a vacuum.

The GSL is a result of corporate need, nothing else. WotC wants the whole pie, and they want to decide who gets the crumbs and under what circumstances. Perfectly within their rights, of course. As a capitalist, I can appreciate that.

But I hope people understand how anti-customer this is. More than most any other product, RPGs require great effort by the customer to be useful, and the reward is as much, if not more so, a result of that effort than it is of the product itself. The more material that's out there -- good, bad, mediocre -- the better off the hobbyist is, because you never know where the diamond in the rough is, or where you'll *yoink* that next cool idea for your campaign. The magic of role-playing games comes from the DMs and the players first and foremost, but none of us operate in a vacuum either, and the more we're limited to a single publishers vision of what gaming should be, the worse off we are.

Mercule said:
Mongoose's "Pocket Player's Handbook" is the cardinal example of the sowing, IMO. The simple existence of that book is pretty much a slap in WotC's face. It's insulting and shows a company that is crass and disrespectful.
HyrumOWC said:
I'm the complete opposite. I remember when Ryan Dancey basically dared companies to try and produce a PHB that was as well done as WotC's for the same price. No one came close.

Nothing was wrong with the Mongoose Pocket Player's Handbook.

It was perfectly within the bounds of the OGL. As Hyrum said, Ryan Dancey knew quite well it was possible someone would try to make such a book and yes, he practically dared somebody to reprint the SRD wholesale as a commercial product. However, with the brand name of D&D and the marketing engine of WotC behind it any replica would be much smaller potatoes to the PHB.

I actually bought a Mongoose PPH once, as a gift. A good friend of mine is an AD&D grognard who refuses adamantly to buy/own any D&D books of any edition after 2e AD&D. He will, very begrudgingly, play 3e/3.5 by using other people's books (a very cumbersome process). However, the Mongoose Pocket Player's Handbook didn't have the name "Dungeons and Dragons" anywhere on the cover or title and was specifically not a D&D book in legal terms. Thus, I bought it for him for Christmas one year so he could own a Mongoose PPH and play in the same games without owning a D&D PHB from an edition he didn't like.

Thanks to the GSL, we can't do that for 4e, which makes him playing 4e far less likely than 3.5. That he's one of my best friends and gaming buddies is just another plank on the platform of my gaming group staying permanently with 3.5e

Aus_Snow

First Post
Grazzt said:
True true. And the one time they did use OGC (back of MM2; the two monsters from the Creature Collection), they got the Section 15 stuff wrong. Go figure.
The one other time I can recall is in Unearthed Arcana (Swords of our Fathers, and Mutants & Masterminds in its section 15.)

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
redcard said:
I have a HUGE clue what I'm talking about. But I'm not going to argue the point any more.

Since you can't argue the point, you've chosen a convenient time to retreat.

WOTC has obviously stepped away from the OGL.

And thrown an irrefutable point in the way to cover your retreat. You're good.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
redcard said:
That wasn't what the intent of Ryan D was, in his repeated instances that this was a new frontier.

The whole "Skaff effect" that Ryan talked about was ultimately supposed to lead to greater sales of Player's Handbooks.

(Now whether or not it worked is open to debate, but that was the intent. Am I misremembering?)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

People, stop getting personal. Address the argument, not the person.

You may refute points with support to your heart's content. Do not make blanket assertions about what another person knows or does not know.

DaveMage said:
The whole "Skaff effect" that Ryan talked about was ultimately supposed to lead to greater sales of Player's Handbooks.

(Now whether or not it worked is open to debate, but that was the intent. Am I misremembering?)

They aren't mutually exclusive. If I had to guess, I'd say that the 'Skaff effect' was the business case for doing it, but the concept of open gaming was his motivation.

Doug McCrae

Legend
Has much use been made of 3rd party produced OGC by other 3rd party publishers? For example, are there modules (either in print or pdf form) or websites making use of the Tome of Horrors monsters? And if not, of what value is 3rd party produced OGC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads