Babylon 5: Outrageous Fortune

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
[sblock=OOC]
(OOC - Hee hee. Do we have an official 'spokesman' here? I am not sure if we're waiting on someone. :) )
Well yours is the one with charisma and diplomacy. Everyone else is quite lacking in both :D. Though if no-one talks soon, Sarhat is going to blunt something out...[/sblock]

Shayuri

First Post
(OOC - That's fine with me, I just didn't want to step on anyone's toes. :) )

Once seated in the office, Ash looks at the others briefly and pulls herself up to Gills' desk.

"I'm Ashley," she says pleasantly, and without preamble. "Pleased to meet you. What do you have for us, Gills?"

Dr Simon

Explorer
"Gills" flexes his crest a little as he begins.

"I understand you're in the market for some Tal-Kon'Sha technology? I can point you in the direction of people who deal with this stuff, although you ought to know that what they do is considered highly illegal by the Consortium. Not that illegal means much round here, but I think the Consortium fear raising the ire of the Tals if people poke around their worlds too much, so they tend to stamp hard on tech-runners when they find them. What this means, though, is that the successful tech-runners are ruthless, cunning and dangerous people to deal with.

If you're prepared to accept the risk, I have a proposal for you that'll help a friend of mine in the process. You see, one of my staff is having trouble with a hired thug who works for one of these tech-runners. If you can, er, persuade him to leave her alone perhaps you can also make contact with his boss. I've asked her to join us to give you more details."

Not long after, there is a knock at the door. Gills' office is fronted with one-way glass and you can see that it is the singer who was on stage earlier. A striking human woman with an elaborate hairstyle resembling a Vree saucer ship. Gills calls her in.

"Ashley, Gentlemen, this is Alexis Vavaroutsos. Alexis, these people may be able to help you with your problem."

Alexis nods and sits down.

[SBLOCK="Ashley"]
Under the stage make-up, Alexis looks tired and drawn. Her demeanour conveys a sense of nervousness.
[/SBLOCK]

"You're here to sort out Raive?" she asks.

Shayuri

First Post
"That's what's being proposed," Ashley replies. "Why don't you give us some idea of what the background is? What is the problem between you and Raive, and what sort of help do you need sorting it out?"

Dr Simon

Explorer
"Raive is... an ex who won't stay ex," says Alexis haltingly.

"He is... was... an oxygen runner, you know of them? They go onto the nightside of Lison to gather liquid oxygen, so our colony can breathe. It's a dangerous job, but the danger gives it a bit of romance, you know? And Raive had charisma in spades; charm and danger, what girl could resist?

"So we were together for about a year, eighteen months. Then, about... three months ago, I guess, he had this new wetware implanted. He'd had a few bits replaced here and there - like I said, it's a dangerous job - but this was new stuff, very advanced tech. Most of the stuff on sale around here is retro-fitted from alien tech, maybe a bit of Centauri prosthetics, stuff developed on Earth that's been outlawed. But this was more advanced than that, I guess it was pure Tal stuff. Raive's little gang of oxygen runners moved in circles with the tech stealers, I guess he picked it up then, but I don't know who his cutter was. If I did, I think I'd kill the son of a bitch for what he did to Raive....

"It was some sort of reflex enhancer, I think, but it affected his behaviour. Sure, he was always a bit rough, that was the fun danger, but he became obsessed with the tech, wanted more, wanted to become faster, stronger, better, as he put it. Wanted me to get the implants too, but I don't like the idea of a machine in my brain. Then he started getting *really* wierd.

"He was getting more and more gear added, even when he didn't need it. Started... started sending me the bits that he'd had removed, like some sort of sick love token. I got really scared, moved out of my apartment in case he came looking for me. I think on some level he still cares for me, wouldn't hurt me, but the new Raive, the sick one... I don't know."

"I've told Alexis she can stay in the club for the moment," says Gills. "We have protection, she should be okay. But she insists on putting herself out on stage."

"It's the only thing I've got to keep me sane!" replies Alexis with some bite.
"Traven tells me you're looking for Tal tech. Find Raive, you might find his dealers. But good luck with that poison. You'll need it."

Shayuri

First Post
"Finding him shouldn't be a problem," Ashley says dryly, glancing at the door. "He's got someone watching the bar and now, by extension, watching us. I'm sure we can convince whoever it is to take us to Raive."

She looks back at Alexis searchingly.

Delicately now. Was it really that simple? What ever was?

Concentration parceled on two levels, the words and the mind. Listening at the same time you were speaking was surprisingly tricky. Human neurology wasn't really wired for it. The cadence of conversation was speak - then listen - then speak.

But human neurology was pretty flexible in what it could learn.

"Anything else we should know? Any details or things you might have forgotten to add?" Or neglected to add?

Even as Ashley asks the question, she listens for the answer's echo in Alexis' mind.

Dr Simon

Explorer
"Someone out there, now?" Alexis asks with some alarm. She almost gets up to leave, but "Gills" stops her with a hand on her arm.

"I... I've got a datacrystal of some of Raive's last calls to me. Traven made me make one in case I needed it for evidence." She looks towards the Abbai who nods, and hands over a datacrystal.

"It's grim stuff," he says.

"Also, there was a woman from his group, Brenda. Brenda Bhatnagar, I met her once. She might be able to help you."

[SBLOCK="Ashley"]
The woman's thoughts are quite jumbled, overlaid with a heavy sensation of fear. You only pick up images - a vague picture of Brenda Bhatnagar as a human woman, Indian ethnicity. Flashes of a man's face almost completely concealed by metal and wires when she mentions Raive. Mixed up with images of a middle-aged man's face, familiar somehow. This is associated with a strong sense of dislike. The flashes are all too brief and distorted to be able to determine if she is telling the truth.
[/SBLOCK]

Shayuri

First Post
Ashley nods at these things and looks at the others to see if they look satisfied.

"I think we have enough to get started. If we have questions how can we contact you?"

(OOC - Unless anyone else has questions, I think we should move on. :))

Remove ads