What do you do if you see SPAM?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Another way to let people know it's reported is to report the post and then give the spammer XP. I know, I know, but it lets other folks know you caught it without bumping the thread or adding weird posts that later seem out of context. The XP goes away when we spam-ban the guy.

DumbPaladin

First Post
If you see Spam, send it to Hawaii. Hawaii ingests Spam the most out of any of the 50 US states, and I doubt any other country is crazy enough to eat it.

I actually learned how to report spam by watching the people who have been here longer do it -- but once in a while, I must admit, it is tempting to respond to the idiot spammer. And then report it.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
No harm done if you do, but try to restrict it to threads that a spammer starts. If you comment on spam that's buried in an unrelated thread, things get a bit confusing once the spam is removed.

DumbPaladin

First Post
I've actually never seen spam posted in the middle of an ongoing, otherwise-useful thread ... but I'll be sure to remember to leave it alone.

covaithe

Explorer
I'm the moderator of the Living 4th Edition forum, and when someone reports spam within that forum, I get an email with a link to the post or thread, which I can then go and delete.

But I don't have the authority to ban users. When spam gets reported in our subforum and I delete it, does the spam report still make it into the general queue, so that you guys see it and do the appropriate things? Or should I leave it alone for you guys to handle it? Or escalate it somehow?

Spam isn't a big problem in that forum; there have only been a handful of reported posts over several years, but it's happened two or three times recently, including once this morning, so I thought I'd get around to asking if I've been handling it right.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
When I see a spam report leading to a deleted post, I generally assume someone else banned the spammer. :p So if you want to ensure the spammer gets banned, maybe send a short PM to a global moderator. ("I deleted spam posted by this 'Piratecat' bot. Please ban this silly spammer with extreme prejudice. Hurry, you fool, or he'll drown us all in competitively priced Lolcats!")

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Hey, just wanted to say nice, quick action on dumpseller1- I was in the process of reporting it when it got ganked!
Is that the most obvious spammer name ever?
scratch.gif

What happens to the "spread it around xp count?" when the spambot vanishes?
An angel gets its wings?

Remove ads