Gaming w/Jemal: Past Tense (4E) OOC

Graf

Explorer
Bialaska said:
Also, I like that background story. Got an epic feel to it. I love how you have been able to tie all of the characters into it without too much trouble.
Thanks!:D
With everybody writing for it, and the other character backgrounds it wrote itself mostly, I really only went out on a limb a bit with how Ripper joined and the deaths.

Cool with me. My two coins. This obviously is up to Jemal, but I was thinking that if a frickin' lute can be a plot device, it has better be a pretty powerful artifact.
My original impression was that we wouldn't be aware about why you were freaking out, (as opposed to knowing the lute was awesomtacular and freaking out with you).

Just some thoughts about possible importance and power level
  • The lute could be completely non-magical.
    1. It's historically important, it was the first instrument played at the last battle
    2. It's part of a prophesy; supposedly the lute will bring about the downfall of an otherwise undefeatable menace or free the last Queen of the Formorians something -- maybe the prophesy is bupkis... but that doesn't stop people from believing in it
  • It's only powerful when combined with something else
    1. a lost song that causes fire to rain down for thousands of miles, or which will make any listener fall in love
    2. It's a part of one of those assemble-the-artifact type things (like the Rod of Seven Parts)
  • It's awesomerific power is useless to adventuring parties
    1. For every hour that it's played world sea levels rise by a mm.
    2. Playing the lute guarantees good weather the for the next week, but it only works in a region once a year.
  • It's actually some sort of epic level-uber device.

All things being equal I'd be happiest if the lute was an interesting part of your backstory, something that was occasionally beneficial or harmful, or else had a lot of character.

Maybe it plays itself during battle bobbing around the battle field, and we're called the Companions of the Mad Lute?

(We need a group name...)

Not only that, but the way you set it up Sylas as the original initiator, visionary and mentor figure, there's easily some core element missing currently.
That.... is a very good point.

Bereft of leadership the group can struggle to find it's own identity (which we have to do anyway, since we've never actually played together before).

If we do wind up with a leader my instinct would be that Ruthaer ar'Thar (oldest surviving member + naturally bossy) and Lady Keira (good social skills) would probably be the natural individuals to fill the void.
Just a guess though.

Atanatotatos

First Post
Thanks!:D
With everybody writing for it, and the other character backgrounds it wrote itself mostly, I really only went out on a limb a bit with how Ripper joined and the deaths.

My original impression was that we wouldn't be aware about why you were freaking out, (as opposed to knowing the lute was awesomtacular and freaking out with you).

Just some thoughts about possible importance and power level
  • The lute could be completely non-magical.
    1. It's historically important, it was the first instrument played at the last battle
    2. It's part of a prophesy; supposedly the lute will bring about the downfall of an otherwise undefeatable menace or free the last Queen of the Formorians something -- maybe the prophesy is bupkis... but that doesn't stop people from believing in it
  • It's only powerful when combined with something else
    1. a lost song that causes fire to rain down for thousands of miles, or which will make any listener fall in love
    2. It's a part of one of those assemble-the-artifact type things (like the Rod of Seven Parts)
  • It's awesomerific power is useless to adventuring parties
    1. For every hour that it's played world sea levels rise by a mm.
    2. Playing the lute guarantees good weather the for the next week, but it only works in a region once a year.
  • It's actually some sort of epic level-uber device.

All things being equal I'd be happiest if the lute was an interesting part of your backstory, something that was occasionally beneficial or harmful, or else had a lot of character.

Maybe it plays itself during battle bobbing around the battle field, and we're called the Companions of the Mad Lute?

(We need a group name...)

That.... is a very good point.

Bereft of leadership the group can struggle to find it's own identity (which we have to do anyway, since we've never actually played together before).

If we do wind up with a leader my instinct would be that Ruthaer ar'Thar (oldest surviving member + naturally bossy) and Lady Keira (good social skills) would probably be the natural individuals to fill the void.
Just a guess though.

My idea on the lute: partially a magic item of say, paragon level with effects related to music (as i said, i'd like Illian to multiclass into bard as soon as they release the class). But i was thinking of a really dangerous powernot really useful for the party. I don't have a clear idea, but to give an example of what i though, if we were in Eberron, coupled with a particular magical "score", its playing might be the key to free a powerful Rakshasa raja, say. Also, about the party knowledge: i guess they would figure that it's pretty important object, but since in their experience it has always been a medium power magical item, they obviously understate that, at least when they tease Illian when he freaks out (as he knows more, he is REALLY worried. Plus, it's his favourite toy).

I also think Zwei made a really good poit. About leadership, I agree on Keira (Ruthaer may have a bit of too harsh of a personality to unite the arty outside of battle, but it's just my idea of the character). Also, looking at the skills, Illian should make a pretty good party face,too.

Jemal, i'll post Illian in the RG immediately, sorry i'd forgotten about that. On a side note, how would you handle playing and singing in-play, seeing there's no skill for that?

Jemal

Adventurer
On a side note, how would you handle playing and singing in-play, seeing there's no skill for that?

Hmm, good question.. i'll have to think about that one.

As for the Lute itself, I'm thinking it would work best as a powerful artifact that you know how to activate some of the abilities of, but it takes someone specially trained in a certain style of 'magical music' (AKA Bards) to fully access it's higher level powers. It's got both Good and Bad abilities, not all of which are known to you, but enough to know that you have to keep it out of the hands of those who would misuse it.

SarahRequiem

First Post
soooo, did we like, went from 3.5 to 4e world in there? y'know, the spell plague raised some hell and slaughtered lots of people. Gods died, new one took their placed, they reshaped the world and stuff ^^;

Graf

Explorer
I think we'll find out....

Though, with our discussion of "losing rituals" in OOC, I think it's fair to say that the worlds magic, at least, was closer to 4e.

If Verity had rituals to lose then it stands to reason that we weren't using the old vancian 3.5 system in the past. Of course, maybe it was really powerful magic, and Verity actually had spells but his mind's been changed and he only remembers having had rituals.

-My middle name is Obsessed-with-details.

Walking Dad

First Post
Is it possible to move to the position one up and right from 1?
Or do I risk an AoO? I don't think so, as they don't see me until I attack.

Jemal

Adventurer
Unless you have a power that says otherwise, they'll see you as soon as you break cover/concealment by moving into the open. If you do have a way of remaining hidden when you break cover then you'll need to make a new stealth check when you move, opposed by their perception. If they fail then they will not be able to see you and thus won't be able to take an attack of opportunity.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases