Gaming w/Jemal: Past Tense (4E) OOC

Jemal

Adventurer
Allright, inspired by This thread, I've decided to run a 4E campaign.

Past Tense - A 4th Edition D&D adventure
Your characters are powerful heroes who've saved your nation several times. Your last foe was a powerful Lich. After several months you managed to track him down, beat through his forces, and finally slay him. Unfortunately, when you went to destroy his Phylactery, it unleashed a terrible curse. Your bodies spasmed and you each fell, twitching, to the floor. When you awoke, the air seemed even more stale than before and you found yourselves weakened. Exiting the crypt required you to wade through mounds of rubble and walls of webbing. The corpses of the foes you'd killed on your way were nowhere to be found and the floor covered in a deep layer of dust which you kicked up with each step. Finally reaching the exit into the sunlight, you couldn't help but stop and stare in awe. When you'd first entered the crpyt, it had been located in a graveyard just outside of town... but now all that can be seen in every direction is Jungle.
Just what the hell happened in there?

[sblock=OOC stuff]
You were much higher level, but the curse has drained much of your energy. Your characters start outside the empty crypt surrounded by jungle. The only clue you have (aside from the information posted above) is that you know of the lich's last remaining servant, a vampire who's enslavement was ended when you destroyed the phylactery. Obviously though, he didn't stick around.

During your first post, please post your stat roll and character concept (Please AVOID using the terms 'leader, striker, Controller, or Defender'.), THEN begin work on the actual character.

[/sblock]
[sblock=Creation Rules]
Level: 6th (8,000 XP)
Party: 5 or 6 PC's.
Alignment : Good, Lawful good, or Unaligned
Stats: Roll (4d6, reroll 1's, drop the lowest) on invisiblecastle. Use your board name here on ENWorld as the character name or it's invalid. If your stats are very high or very low I reserve the right to call for a reroll.
Equipment : You each start with 1,500 GP to spend however you wish(Including mundane equipment, rituals, magic items, etc). You also each have three magic items: One max lvl 7, one max lvl 6, and one max lvl 5.
For any who don't know how to create a higher than 1st lvl character, refer to phb page 223 to see number of powers/feats known. (And don't forget your +1 to two ability scores at 4th level).
Anything I missed?
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Graf

Explorer
[sblock=ignore]If people are having trouble developing higher level characters the DMG (pg 143?) helps lay out the process. stick with the PhB per next post in thread[/sblock]

[sblock=Invisible Castle Code]
If you're having trouble with how to set up the code for invisible castle then try putting

in the box that says "Number of Rolls"

4d6
in the box that says "Dice"​

(DO NOT USE TAKE HIGHEST... you won't see the 4th roll and you'll lose the chance to reroll your 1s...)

DON'T FORGET
jemal said:
Use your board name here on ENWorld as the character name or it's invalid.
<your board name>
in the box that says "Character Name"​
[/sblock]

Funfunfun. Character application coming soon :)

Last edited:

Atanatotatos

First Post
I tried to roll the stats and i got 12,12,12,8,14,11...It's a bit difficult to build an effective 4e character with these... could i reroll?

(if you look at recent rolls you may notice that i already rerolled, but the ones before are all "error" 'cause i couldn't figure how to reroll 1's at first)

Graf

Explorer
Jemal said:
I actually found the dmg more confusing than the PHB one for powers/feats gained.
Got it. Edited my post to reflect.
I also discovered that if you use the "takehighest" command on IC you can't see your 4th roll. So, ah, don't do that guys.

How much "player input" are you looking for in the world? Would you prefer that applications are sort of vague or should we make up specific details?
If we can/should make up details can we make up "big stuff" (famous people, dragons, kingdoms) or just little stuff ("the prince's advisor", "a small town", etc)?
Or do you want to do it case-by-case?

Have you decided where the "bad roll" line might be..?
[sblock=My roll]Attribute roll for Jemal's 6th level 4e game Past Tense (4d6.takeHighest(3)=13, 4d6.takeHighest(3)=10, 4d6.takeHighest(3)=7, 4d6.takeHighest(3)=11, 4d6.takeHighest(3)=10, 4d6.takeHighest(3)=12)

Total modifier (1st level) +1, +0, -2, +0, +0, +1 =+0

Total modifier (6th level) = +2
[Assuming +1 to the 13 and the 11 (so ->14 and -> 12)]

Since there's no real way to know if there are any ones (I definitely didn't get any rolls with two 1s) I'll assume this is my roll unless otherwise informed. [/sblock]

[sblock=Character Concept: Verity Thronble The famous traitor]
Until 20 years ago the name Thronble was synonymous with honor, tradition and dignity. A small clan of nobles the Thronble's controlled a small keep that protected <some key place>. They were not all religious (though the patriarch and 1st born of each generation were invariably paladins) but each and every one was (at least perceived to be) a hero of the people. Even those that weren't powerful personally usually made their mark on society in some sort of beneficial way (as a poet, or a priest at a troubled church, or fair judge, or as a wise adviser to a lord of greater standing).

Now the name Thronble is synonymous with traitor of the worst sort (think "Benedict Arnold"). Verity Thronble's grasping betrayal led to the family's utter destruction and the destruction of the <key place>; the forces of evil themselves betrayed Verity, but left him alive, humiliated and profoundly regretful.
Only fear of where he would go when he died kept him from suicide.
[sblock=The Key Place]I'm thinking something like say a mountain pass with civilized forces on one side and "hordes of monsters" on another, or else a keep/monastery placed on top of a portal to hell/someplace else equally bad.

For bonus points the evil lich could have been the one that Verity betrayed the Key Place to, and the lich's destruction was supposed to be his shot at (some sort of) redemption that's now gone terribly wrong.[/sblock]

20 years of selfless adventuring have done improved his reputation only sightly (he is no longer pelted with rotting food when entering a community). But he still wears his coat of arms with the dignity that he can muster, and strives to turn the other cheek in his (probably hopeless) quest for absolution.

He fears that this new tragedy will be laid at his feet, or equally, that it is his fault, and his sins have come home to roost yet again (what's even worse that they've affected his companions, and possibly more as well). [/sblock]

Last edited:

SarahRequiem

First Post
Ash is a tall Eladrin woman standing nearly 6ft tall, with long flowing silvery hair, a fair skin and pearly virbrant purple eyes. Many years ago, Ash ran from the feywild to live with her human lover, a young girl she met during her frequant trip to the natural world. They lived happily togheter in a small house in the forest, near a human village. Most of the villagers did not approve of this union and did not hide their feelings about the two young girls. Pranks after pranks, insults after insults, they only grow closer to each others, ignoring the remarks. One day, one of the prank went to far and some of the villagers burned the house down. Ash and her lover were trapped in the house but Ash miraculously escaped the flames, after seeing her other half swallowed by the wild flames. Ash was lost and was taken over by madness and hate; she grabbed the first weapon she could lay her hand on and murdered most of the villager in her rage. Men, women and children did not matter. They took away the life of the one person shs loved the most, they deserved to die.... that is what she thought. Ash then disapeared for years, escaped back to the feywild. She eventually came back to the natural world, filled by grief and guilt. She travels the world with a broken heart, trying to be forgiven for what she did...

[sblock=Stats rolls]
stat 1: [sblock]stat 1 (1d6=4, 1d6=6, 1d6=1, 1d6=1)[/url]
reroll on 1s:
stat 1 reroll (1d6=5, 1d6=1)
reroll on 1s #2:
stat 1 reroll #2 (1d6=5)[/sblock]
stat 1: 5, 6, 5; 16

stat 2: [sblock]stat 2 (1d6=6, 1d6=2, 1d6=3, 1d6=6)[/sblock]
stat 2: 6, 3, 6; 15

stat 3: [sblock]stat 3 (1d6=5, 1d6=4, 1d6=3, 1d6=2)[/sblock]
stat3: 5, 4, 3 = 12

stat 4: [sblock]stat 4 (1d6=1, 1d6=3, 1d6=3, 1d6=1)
reroll on 1s: stat 4 reroll (1d6=4, 1d6=1)
reroll on 1s #2: stat 4 reroll #2 (1d6=5)[/sblock]
stat 4: 4, 3, 5 = 12

stat 5: [sblock]stat 5 (1d6=3, 1d6=6, 1d6=6, 1d6=2)[/sblock]
stat5: 3, 6, 6 = 15

stat 6: [sblock]stat 6 (1d6=5, 1d6=4, 1d6=1, 1d6=2)
reroll on 1: stat 6 reroll (1d6=1)
reroll on 1 #2: stat 6 reroll #2 (1d6=3)[/sblock]
stat6: 5, 4, 3 = 12 [/sblock]

Stats are: 16 15 12 12 15 12

this a quickly made application.

I was wondering, can I reroll 1s I got during a reroll? I got 3 1s during rerolls
[sblock]
Ash
Female Eladrin Fighter 6

Initiative 7; Perseption 20 ; Insight 15
HP 60 ; Bloodied 30 ; Healing Surge 15; Surges Per Day 11
AC 21 (23 w/ Heavy shield) ; Fort 20, Ref 17 (19 w/ Heavy Shield), Will 17
Speed 6 (5 in scale mail)
Action Points 1
Alignment Unaligned; Languages Common, Elven

Str 17 (+1 lv)
Con 15
Dex 15 (+2 race, +1 lv)
Int 14 (+2 race)
Wis 15
Cha 12

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Racial Features:
+2 dexterity, +2 intelligence
Low-Light Vision
Eladrin Education; +1 trained skill
Eladrin Weapon Profiency; Longsword
Eladrin Will: +1 will defence. +5 saving throw vs charms effects
Fey Origin
Trance
Feystep power

Class Features:
Combat Challenge. mark for -2 attack rolls, opportunity attacks
Combat Superiority. Wis to opportunity attacks. cancel movement.
Fighter Weapon Talent; two handed. +1 to attack rolls
Bonus Defence; +2 fortitude

Proficiencies:
Armor: Cloth, Leather, Hide, Chainmail, Scale, Light Shield, Heavy Shield
Weapon: Simple Melee/Ranged. Military Melee/Ranged

Basic Melee Attack; Vicious Longspear +2
+11 vs AC. 1d10+8. +2d12 critical. Reach

Basic Melee Attack; Vicious Longsword +1
+10 vs AC. 1d10+6. +1d12 critical

Basic Ranged Attack; Longbow
+7 vs AC. 1d10+2.

Feats:
1 Eladrin Soldier. +2 damage rolls w/ longswords and all spears.
2 Weapon Focus; Polearms. +1 damage rolls with polearms
4 Alertness. +2 initiative, don't grant combat advantage when surprised.
6 Student of Battle. Inspiring word 1/day. Intimidate skill training

Skills:
Athletics 10 (-2 with heavy shield)
Endurance 10
Heal 10
Perseption 10
Intimidate 8

Gear 84 gp.

Vicious LongSpear +2 (lv7)
+4 hit, 1d10+2.
effect: +2d12 on critical. Reach

Black Iron Scale Mail +1 (lv 4)
+8 AC, Resist 5 fire, Resist 5 necrotic. Speed -1

Amulet of Protection +2 (lv 6)
+2 fortitude, reflex, will defences.

Everlasting Provision. (840gp lv 4)
After an extended rest, the basket create enough food for 5 medium creature for 24 hours)

Vicious Longsword +1 (520gp, lv 2)
+4 hit, 1d8+1
effect: +1d12 critical hit

Heavy Shield ( 10gp)
+2 AC/Reflex. -2 Checks.

Longbow (30gp)
+2 hit. 1d10. range 20/40, load free

Arrows (30) (1gp)

Standard Adventurer's Kit (15 gp)

Powers:
At Will:
Reaping Strike. Melee Weapon
+11 vs AC. 1d10+8
Miss: 3 damage

Sure Strike. Melee Weapon
+13 vs AC. 1d10+5

Encounter:
Fey Step. (Move)
Teleport 5 square

Covering Attack. Melee Weapon.
+11 vs AC. 1d10+8
Hit: An ally adjacent to you can shift 2 squares.

Armor Piercing Thrust. Melee Weapon
+13 vs AC. 1d10+10

Daily:
Villain's Menace. Melee Weapon
+11 vs AC. 2d10+8.
Hit: +2 power bonus to attack rolls. +4 power bonus to damage rolls. (encounter, against the target)
Miss: +1 power bonus to attack rolls. +2 power bonus to damage rolls. (encounter, against the target)

Dizzying Blow. Melee Weapon, Reliable.
+11 vs AC. 3d10+8
Hit: target is immobilized (save ends)

Inspiring Word. Healing, minor, range close burst 5.
1 ally or self
effect: target spend 1 healing surge +1d6 hp.

Utility:
Boundless Endurence. Stance. (minor, Daily)
Gain regeneration 4hp while bloodied.

Battle Awareness. Personal, no action. (Daily)
+10 initiative check

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Atanatotatos

First Post
Graf said:
[sblock=ignore]If people are having trouble developing higher level characters the DMG (pg 143?) helps lay out the process. stick with the PhB per next post in thread[/sblock]

[sblock=Invisible Castle Code]
If you're having trouble with how to set up the code for invisible castle then try putting

in the box that says "Number of Rolls"

4d6
in the box that says "Dice"​

(DO NOT USE TAKE HIGHEST... you won't see the 4th roll and you'll lose the chance to reroll your 1s...)

DON'T FORGET

<your board name>
in the box that says "Character Name"​
[/sblock]

Funfunfun. Character application coming soon :)

I see i would have done better like this. Jemal, i'll reroll using graf's advice, then you decide if it's acceptable.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1632596/

five 1's, so five rerolls: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1632598/ i didn't reroll the rerolled one, so i got:
12, 17, 14, 17, 14,16. If i'm not mistaken.
Too high i guess?

Graf

Explorer
SarahRequiem said:
Ash is an eladrin fighter who mastered the art of the spear.

[sblock=My impression]I could be wrong but...
Jemal said:
During your first post, please post your stat roll and character concept (Please AVOID using the terms 'leader, striker, Controller, or Defender'.), THEN begin work on the actual character.
I think this means Jemal wants a concept that exists independent of a character class.
So like, "famous traitor" or "young prince in exile" or "heiress to a mining fortune" or "pirate captain" something that isn't a class/role specific thing.

Of course, I'm often wrong, so...[/sblock]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases