Middle Earth D20 Conversion

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Atilary -
Re: posting the compilation. I'd like to see it, but I would like everyone who worked on the material to be credited. While some parts of the stuff I posted were written by me, some of it - especially the discussion on magic - came from extensive debate on these boards by a number of members. I've been meaning to get the list of those who participated ready, and I'll try to get that done this weekend.

Other than that, you should discuss it with Wolfspider and whoever else posted the material.

Atilary

Explorer
I'm certain is mostly yours, Red Barons, and Gothmog's (his monster stats) but when i compiled the information, i hadn't planned on it going any farther than my gaming table with my personal group. Nonetheless, where possible (where i remembered) the work was cited. For the most part, the descriptions of languages and races have all been written by myself, and perhaps i can get that in order and submit that when the website is up.

Eosin the Red

First Post
By goodness Rafal, those are some damn nice web sites. You should be a Pro! Ohhh, hold on you are :)

Second, those are the best "painted" maps I have ever seen.

JoeCrow

Explorer
Potentially bad news

Actually, Decipher shouldn't be a problem. Steve Long's not on the team anymore, but he seemed to think that *any* gaming interest in LotR was beneficial to their product.

What we need to worry about is Tolkien Enterprises.

TE are currently on a MERP web-pogrom. They're shutting down all the web pages supporting MERP, and they insisted that all the unsold MERP product in ICE's warehouses be destroyed. Their strict license interpretation is what is keeping Decipher from using any of the LotR IP outside of the Hobbit and the Trilogy, as opposed to ICE's use of material from the Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales. I understand that negotiations are ongoing to allow Chris Seeman's Other Hands (a long-standing MERP magazine) site to re-emerge from limbo, but there's no word yet. TE doesn't seem to have grasped the difference between fan-based world use and commercial infringement. In a lot of ways, it's like the TSR web-war. Hopefully, they'll come to realize that fan expansion is now key to the successful growth of any game system.

Fortunately, TE don't seem to have realized that there's anything out there besides MERP to worry about. As long as we keep our heads down and act natural, "the man" shouldn't hassle us. :D

We've just gotta maintain, man.

BTW: damn fine work, all round. Kudos and like that.

Red Baron

First Post
Thanks for all the feedback, Atilary. It sounds like you all had fun, and I guess that's why we do what we do, eh? Keep us informed of how it works as you use the variant stuff further.

Interesting aside: I once had an orc critically fumble a bow shot from the top of a ruined tower too: he fell over the edge but caught himself and hung there, scrabbling for a foothold, for two rounds -- until the ranger took a shot at him. She missed (due to the range of the shot), but the orc got spooked and let go, falling about 30 feet to his (very bloody) death on the shattered stonework below.

My players laughed too. Sick, sick b*st*rds. ;)

Last edited:

Red Baron

First Post
Eosin the Red said:
By goodness Rafal, those are some damn nice web sites. You should be a Pro! Ohhh, hold on you are :)

Second, those are the best "painted" maps I have ever seen.
What he said! Beautiful work, Raflar.

sepulchrave

First Post
Currency- Some Ideas

In a previous post, on the old boards, I put forward the idea of a "Pony Standard" in silver - this translated into converting values from standard DnD prices at the rate of 5 gp (DnD) = 1 silver penny (ME). I have actually modified my position somewhat, and now I'd advocate a flat conversion of 1 silver penny = 1 gp (DnD). The reasons are as follows:

1) I'm assuming that money was NOT minted in the Shire or Bree - neither had a main administrative or ruling centre, so it's almost unthinkable that coins were produced. Currency in circulation would be old - from Arnor, or possibly Arthedain, Rhudaur etc. It would be rare, and have a larger value because of this.

2) If the default setting of the d20 conversion is early Fourth Age, then Arnor is re-established, a mint exists (at Annuminas or Fornost), currency is regulated and its availability is higher. The economic boom which accompanies the reign of Elessar would most likely cause inflation - hence devaluing the currency, from the old "Pony Standard." The economy of Bree, once sluggish, would be stimulated by the new regime.

3) Simplicity. All prices in the PHB which were in gold, are now in silver pennies. This still has the effect of making gold very valuable. Gold coins would be VERY rare.

Subdivisions of Currency

If the Dark Age England model of currency were adopted, then 1 penny would weigh 1/15 of an ounce: the Carolingian penny is slightly lighter. It is reasonable to assume that the penny is divided into quarters - the word "Farthing" is current in the Shire (as in "North Farthing" etc.). "Farthing" is presumably a translation of whatever the Westron word for "a quarter of a penny" is, in much the same way that "Brandybuck" is a translation of "Brandagamba" etc. (See Appendix F of LOTR). Gold coinage existed, as Bilbo's gift to Sam at Rivendell testifies. Assuming that the value of precious metals relative to each other is the same in ME as in DnD (1:10:100 Copper:Silver:Gold), the following schema seems logical:

Copper Farthing: A medium-sized copper or brass coin weighing 1/6 of an ounce. 96 to the pound.
Copper Halfpenny: A large copper or brass coin weighing 1/3 of an ounce. 48 to the pound.
Silver Penny: A small silver coin weighing 1/15 of an ounce. 240 to the pound.
Gold (Piece? Crown?): Small gold coin weighing the same as the silver penny (1/15 of an ounce), but 10x as valuable.

or

1 gold crown = 10 silver pennies = 20 copper half-pennies = 40 copper farthings

Note that a copper farthing is still relatively valuable (equivalent to 2 1/2 sp in standard DnD terms), but this is very much in line with Dark Age and Middle Age currency - it simply isn't worth a ruler's time minting very low value coins. Note also that if this weight of coins is used, then metals are FAR more precious than their DnD counterparts - there are only 50 coins to the pound in DnD. Gold is effectively 48 times more valuable in Middle-Earth.

Hacksilver etc.

It was common practice, historically speaking, to cut coins into quarters or use bits of jewelery as currency - in fact many coins were scored to make this practice easier. The weight of metal (copper, silver etc.) was much more important than the actual type of denomination. In order to simulate low-value transactions, a denomination as low as a quarter of a farthing could be available if this method were adopted.

sepulchrave

First Post
The Problem of Armour

Red Baron - I wonder if you've addressed this problem yet and, if so, whether you've encountered any problems. The inclusion of helms has been a hassle for me - particularly when I made the chain shirt +3 without a helm. Studded becomes superior in every way: cost, AC bonus, Dex etc, and this seems hard to justify.

With a bit of fiddling, I've come up with this. ALL armour comes without headgear.

Body Armour (Light)
Padded: Remains the same. Perhaps "Soft Leather" is more appropriate, though.
Leather (Cuirboilli): Remains the same.
Studded: Remains the same.
Chain Vest. Cost 50. +3 AC. Max Dex +5. Armour Check -1. Spell Fail 15%. Speed 30. 15 pounds.

Body Armour (Medium)
Scale: Remains the same.
Chain Hauberk. Cost 100. +4 AC. Max Dex +3. Armour Check -3. Spell Fail 20%. Speed 20. 25 pounds.
Chain Suit (Double Mail): Remains the Same.

Body Armour (Heavy)
No change in any of these, except that now no heavy armours are assumed to come with a helmet.

The Chain Vest is very definitely torso-only protection, whereas the hauberk or habergeon is sleeveless, but hangs to around the knees. It offers the same protection as scale (+4), has the same Max Dex, but a superior armour check penalty - it also weighs less, historically true of chain byrnies. I'm also tempted to allow a 25' move with some medium armours - in fact, that might help redress the whole armour problem in the game. The stats for the Chain Vest and the hauberk- which replace the Chain Shirt - also break the Chain Shirt's monopoly on the game. As far as helmets go, I'd suggest this:

Small Helm. Cost 10. +1 AC. Spell Fail +5%. -1 To Spot/Listen. 3 pounds.
Great Helm. Cost 30. +2 AC. Armour Check -1. Spell Fail +15%. -4 To Spot/Listen. 6 pounds.

I don't really see splinted armour as being appropriate to the milieu, although perhaps the Easterlings or Variags might favour it. I guess that hide might be appropriate for certain Haradrim. Breastplate is probably too technologically advanced to include. Getting Ringmail in there somewhere would be good also - either as a jack/vest or suit (light or medium, I'd guess).

Any thoughts, anyone?

Last edited:

Red Baron

First Post
Here is the section of my equipment list that deals with armour. Not sure if the table will work when posted -- if not, the whole thing might be indecipherable.

This armour has worked very well with my group so far.

Edit: Okay, the table didn't work *at all*. I've attached the table to my next post as a .txt file instead (see below).

Last edited:

Red Baron

First Post
Edit: 'Kay, the TXT version looks pretty crappy too. Email me if you'd like the full Word version. (You can also see the equipment doc at Wolfspider's yahoo site.) :)

Attachments

• armour.txt
    3.5 KB · Views: 1,220
Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases