Character Sheet - condensed, reorganized, editable, auto-calculating (PDF)

F

Fungah

Hello, all!

Once I took a look at the new 4th Edition character sheet, I knew immediately that I wasn't going to be able to salvage it by creating a custom PDF with text fields overtop of it. Instead, I decided that I would make an entirely new sheet from scratch. Using Adobe Illustrator CS2 to create the basic image and Adobe Acrobat Pro 7.0 to create custom text fields and drop-down boxes, I have arrived at v1.0 of my new character sheet. The following changes were made:

1) I completely removed useless or redundant information. The D&D title/logo is gone. The height, weight, eye/hair color, gender and age fields are gone. Passive Insight/Perception is gone.
2) All existing information is condensed to leave as little white space as possible in an effort to display more info on the sheet.
3) I reorganized the character sheet to place priority information on the first page, with progressively less-used info further down.
4) The layout of weapon attacks and damage is completely different.
5) I stretched out several columns of information so you can write in a full description for powers, feats, features, and magic items. There are also columns for page references.
6) I removed the portrait, personality, mannerism, appearance and background fields.

I find there are two types of D&D players: those who don't care about trivial character info (eye color, mannerisms, etc.) and those who would rather have an entirely separate page to write up their character's personality and history in full. There are two versions of the sheet. The first is simply a printable PDF character sheet with the above changes. The second allows you to enter all information into the sheet in text boxes, save the sheet, and print it out. Both PDFs are public domain, which means you may alter or redistribute them as you please. If you find any errors or have any suggestions, let me know and I may incorporate them into the next version.

Character Sheet [73 KB]
Character Sheet (Editable) [846 KB]

Thanks,
Eric

Last edited:

SlyFlourish

SlyFlourish.com
Supporter
Great sheet!

I love the sheet. I love the little nuances like the guidelines that show you which attributes affect which defenses.

How come hitpoints aren't calculated?

For some reason the editable sheet won't let me save.

F

Fungah

mshea said:
I love the sheet. I love the little nuances like the guidelines that show you which attributes affect which defenses.

How come hitpoints aren't calculated?

For some reason the editable sheet won't let me save.
Thanks for the compliments, guys. :)
HP isn't calculated because of things like Toughness.

Argh, it won't let you save? That's the one problem that's plagued me since I started working on my 3.5 edition sheet way back when. What version of Acrobat do you have installed? This sheet's compatible with 7.0 and above.

Use Foxit Reader and you're golden:
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

I _believe_ they've got a mac version. I'm on a windoze machine though, so I'm not positive.

It's faster than Adobe Reader, and you can fill out the pdfs _and_ save them.

The only thing it doesn't seem to handle well is stuff like the 0one tiles with their layers. Some of the Mad Irishman's sheets use layers too. For stuff set up like that, you're kinda out of luck at least for a free solution.

mshea said:
There's no Foxit reader for Mac and Preview won't do the auto-calculations =(

Apparently Foxit is working on doing a version for Macs. I've got no idea what the state of it is, but apparently you can get a preview copy of the Mac version by sending and email here:
support@foxitsoftware.com

Try that and see if it works. Information from this thread:
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=1873

Note: You apparently can't download attachments (for whatever reason) so don't bother trying. Just ship 'em an email and see if anything comes of it. Hopefully this will work out for you.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases