RPG purchases you know you'll never use

Richards

Legend
I bought the FASA "Doctor Who Roleplaying Game" and Pelgrane Press' "The Dying Earth" RPG knowing that I'd probably never get to actually play them (lack of interest on the part of the others in my gaming group). But I still enjoyed reading through them (I was, and am, a big Dr. Who and Jack Vance fan), so while I didn't get to use them, I still don't regret having purchased them.

Johnathan

der_kluge

Adventurer
I've got several things that I haven't used - yet, but I intend on using them. Blight Magic, Chaos Magic, Alchemy and Herbalists, for example. All will be a part of my campaign some day. Urban Blight, and Bluffside, and all the other stuff from Meg/TG forming a core of it.

Other stuff that I've got that I may never use:
FRCS (yes, it's beautiful and all, but I don't play in FR)
MotP (again, beautiful, but I doubt my PCs will be doing any planar hopping IMC)

I haven't used DotF yet. My TaB is going to see some use when my sorcerer can take the MindBender PrC.

Dragonstar - I guess this isn't really true, because I did play in a PBEM of this. I quit when the DM allowed a Psionic bunny in the game.

I purchased the original RuneQuest boxed set on Ebay a number of years ago. My friends and I were trying to make our own RPG system, and someone commented that some of the things that we were trying to do sounded a bit like RuneQuest to them. So, I picked it up. Not sure I've ever really looked through it, though.

Of course, I've got all that 2nd edition stuff that I'll never use again.

brak1

Amateur Fortean
Game of Thrones: This is a great game. I have friends and associates who did the card art (Jhoneil Centeno, Jason Engle, etc). I just don't get to play these games much due to a lack of time. I am collecting them because I am a HUGE fan of the series the game comes from (thanks to Greg Benage at FFG). - Mystic Eye

This is the only card game I've gotten my wife to play. She loved the books (as did I) and I'm not gonna look this particular gift horse in the mouth. Thank you FFG.

Katerek

Iconic Gnoll
Hmm, I can honestly say that the ELH is probably the most referenced book at my table right now. 4 of my nine players own a copy! I love the ELH.

There are some things that I wish I had never gotten a hold of over the years:

Ninja's and Superspies (I bought this during the late eighties Ninja Craze)

RIFTS (There are so many source books this HAS to be good!)

TMNT (Comic books were popular)

A thousand different superhero games despite the fact that all super hero games are in fact intrinsically sucky.

My XANTH chess set

Some game whoes name I cant remember, I bought because it came with a d16.

The d30 game books...come on what camapaign cant use werewolf sailors?

Indiana Jones - poopy.

Some Warhammer 40k knockoff where the "american" troops wore football helmets.

Alot of non-DnD stuff with the name Gygax on it.

Pounds of photocopied and hand produced reference material for a PBM called Monster Island.

Bagpuss

Legend
HellHound said:
I'm going to do this by Game Systems, not actual books...

First and foremost:

K.A.B.A.L. (Knights And Barbarians And Legerdemain)

also

[snip]

Wow you just reminded me of about another 15 systems I have in my loft or have owned and sold on... hmm perhaps I spend too much on Roleplaying.... Nah!

Cor Azer

First Post
Acmite said:
Eden's new Buffy RPG--I hope to get a chance to play it, but I doubt it will happen.

Farscape d20--lack of interest from the rest of my group. I bought it mostly because I am a fan of the show, and in the hopes of being able to port some of teh stuff to regular D&D, or a supers game, or something.

Hey... we played Buffy RPG last Sunday... true, it was just a one-shot, but still...

And I'd be interested in trying the Farscape, except there's the problem of I'll be moving soon.

As for the thread topic... um... I've been lucky in that I've used every RPG product that I've ever bought myself... admittedly though, the ones I've been given (adventures mostly) have yet to be used (although I do want to run the Fiery Dragon ones I've gotten).

KnowTheToe

First Post
kobold said:
Book of the Rightious was $40 I wish I'd spent elsewere.

$40 for a book on paladins, what were you thinking?

Anyway you could probably get half your maoney back from poeple on the boards.

Wicht

Hero
d19 said:
I got stuck with Synnibar. I should've dropped my wallet into a wood chipper instead.

heh heh

I bought mine on purpose. I wanted to see how bad it could get. Its pretty bad, but at least I can say now I have a copy even if I can't force myself to read more than about 60 pages of it. ;)

Prince Atom

Explorer
Things I've Never Played:

GURPS Supers
GURPS Prime Directive
MERP
Thieves' World Boxed Set

Things I've Played Once or Twice:

GURPS Discworld (once)
LUG Star Trek (twice)
D&D Basic

Games I Used To Play:

Palladium FRPG and the Book of Monsters
AD&D 2ndEd

Things I Haven't Used (Yet):

DM's Option: High Level Campaigns
Of Ships and the Sea
Manual of the Planes (3E)
Stronghold Builder's Guidebook

Nothing so arcane or exotic as most of the stuff I've seen here, but up until a couple of days ago I didn't even know there was a Doctor Who RPG. Now it's a must-have, even though I find that my group is generally not very interested in such things as British series (unless it's Monty Python).

TWK

If you make a device for transporting a vessel between planes... and then fix a Randomizer to it... how long before you hit E-Space?

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases