RPG purchases you know you'll never use

shadoe

First Post
I have had more games than I care to think about that I have never played, Unfortunately I can't say the same thing about Synnibar, I have both played and run that game quite a bit in the past, as my wife can attest.

KnowTheToe said:

$40 for a book on paladins, what were you thinking?

Anyway you could probably get half your maoney back from poeple on the boards.

Yeah - Kobold - I'll buy it off you for $20! ( if it's in near new shape ) Email me at idiot@beer.com

( YES its's a real email addy )

if you are interested.

Joe

Re: Re: Re: Ravenloft

BigFreekinGoblinoid said:

Congrats Wikidogre! Engagement rings are expensive? C'mon! Don't forget that they are sooo useful for other things too, like ... umm...
well... perhaps for... hmmm....

You know, I feel like a total geek right now because when the first poster said that "rings are expensive", I thought that he was talking about the "Lord of the Rings Core rulebook"... :(

toberane

First Post
Here's an odd one... Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles RPG. I bought it probably 15 years ago on a whim. The rules for creating your own mutations were, as I recall, complex enough that the characters were almost unplayable.

Another one--Hackmaster. Not for lack of desire, I'd actually love to play this game. But my group has its hands full meeting once a week, and we have more than enough campaigns running to keep us busy with D&D for the next 15 years, so...

Morrow

First Post
For brevity, I'll stick with d20 products.

Crusades of Valour (Mongoose Publishing) The subject matter is right up my alley, but the execution just leaves me cold. How am I supposed to use this?

Ragnarok: Tales Of The Norse Gods (Avalanche Press) The Last Days of Constantinople and even Greenland Saga: The Lost Norse Colony had some ideas I could use, but I'm at a loss for what to do with Ragnarok.

Rappan Athuk: The Dungeon of Graves and Rappan Athuk 2: The Dungeon of Graves: The Middle Levels (Necromancer Games) Rappan Athuk was getting such good buzz in some circles that I picked them up, but they don't do anything for me. Don't get me wrong, I think that brutal high-body count dungeon crawls can be a hoot under the right circumstances, I just don't feel any affection for this example of the genre. Maybe I just don't properly appreciate 'first edition feel.'

Morrow

Last edited:

Vanye

Explorer
Sailor Moon RPG and Werewolf:The Apocolpyse 2nd Ed. Talk about a combo!

Now I'm not going to get a chance to use my Deadlands book, as the guy who was running it in my group has bowed out due to school conflicts. *sigh*

VorpalBunny

Explorer
Man, I hope my wife doesn't see this... ;)

Stuff I own but haven't got around to GM'ing/playing yet (though still hoping to)...

WEG's DC Heroes
ICE's Rolemaster FRPG
Fast Forward's Metamorphosis Alpha re-release
White Wolf's Scarred Lands setting
Atlas Games' Ars Magica
Pinnacle's Deadlands and Deadlands d20
GURPS Cyberpunk, Black Ops, Traveller, and Cthulhupunk (though I do use it for reference for other games)
LUG's Star Trek: The Next Generation and DS9 RPG's
Kenzer's Hackmaster (for much the same reason as toberane, but I'm forcing this one on my players... WE WILL PLAY THIS!! :D)
Necromancer's Rappan Athuk series
Avalanche's The Last days of Constantinople

Stuff I've GM'ed or played once or twice

FASA's Earthdawn
AD&D Dark Sun
White Wolf's World of Darkness RPG's
The Wheel of Time d20 RPG
Alternity Star*Drive and Dark*Matter campaigns

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Mr Fidgit said:
...some of which you may never have heard of...

time master
star ace
star frontiers
knight hawks
space 1889
james bond
gamma world
dr. who
wraith
and tons of rifts books that were never used

I ran a time master game. There was an expansion for it, I forget the name now, that was very good. I liked the trick of making copies of yourself to swarm an opponent (very dangerous! Kids, don't try this at home!) The blurb on the back of the book was great, "Leo had done something to erase himself out of existence. It really threw a wet blanket over the entire party."

My purchases that I can think of offhand of stuff I knew I was never going to use/play:

Wheel of Time
Dragonstar
Epic Level Book
FRCS
Primal Order
Orcs of Thar
Islands of Irendi
(a few others out of that lovely Mystara series)
Mage: The Ascension (1st ed)
D&D Master's Box set
Galantri box set (got to play the "paperback" version though!)
Ravenloft box set

Henry

Autoexreginated
The RPG's I've bought without a snowball's chance in Heck of playing?

• Lost Souls
  • Tales from the Floating Vagabond
  • Shadowrun
  • Continuum
  • Dangerous Journeys
  • The Indiana Jones game from TSR back in 1986 or so
  • About 12 GURPS supplements (Wild West, Fantasy, High-Tech, Ultra-tech, Supers, IST, Space, etc.)
  • A Doctor Who game (not FASA, but another game that had a mechanic to beat the difference between 2 d6's rolled)
  • Hackmaster Player's Guide - All I bought it for was to see this "legendary" game. It was fun, but I could more easily convince my players to play Continuum. (see below)
  • Space 1889
  • Mechwarrior the RPG

Alternity almost fit into that category, but we actually got to play that game back in the year 2000 while waiting for 3E. :)

Lost Souls and Continuum are my two big regrets.

Lost souls was the best "afterlife" type RPG I've ever seen (including compared to White Wolf's Wraith, which to me is so depressing I CANNOT play it.)

Continuum is a time travel game that jazzes me up on so many levels, but I cannot get my group to agree to play it - not even for a one-shot. On day, I will attend a Convention demo-ing this game, and pick up not only the feel of the game, but also some pointers on how to hook my players into at least playing it once.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases