Looking for archetypical asian campaign characters

Darklone

I need typical monks. Like Jackie Chan, the silent cool dude, the old wise master, the fat strong wrestler, the sword saint... the big evil villainous warlord...

Please help me out a bit with more ideas.

The Little Raven

First Post
Darklone said:
I need typical monks. Like Jackie Chan, the silent cool dude, the old wise master, the fat strong wrestler, the sword saint... the big evil villainous warlord...

Please help me out a bit with more ideas.

So, drawing from various media, you want something along the lines of...

The Drunken Master
The Silent Monk
The Grandmaster
The Jolly Wrestler
The Invincible Sword Princess
The Jade Warlord

Right?

The Little Raven

First Post
Mourn said:
The Drunken Master

Fighting Style: Acrobatic and evasive. It's hard to judge where he will move, and when he will strike. Also gets more dangerous as he drinks more. (Inspiration: Drunken Master)

The Silent Monk

Fighting Style: Straightforward, aggressive, and dangerous. This guy is fast and hits hard. However, he isn't without mercy, nor is he necessarily a killer. He's on a spiritual quest of some kind and will let none bar his path. (Inspiration: All kinds of wandering monks. Name's from Forbidden Kingdom.)

The Grandmaster

Fighting Style: Over the top. This guy pulls off super crazy wuxia moves, all while stroking his long, white beard. He often seeks to teach a lesson, even to his enemies, rather than outright kill or defeat them. (Inspiration: Pai Mei from Kill Bill. Also, other old masters from kung fu movies.)

The Jolly Wrestler

Fighting Style: Manhandling. You do not want to get within this guy's reach, because he'll fold, press, pin, toss, grope, slap, pound, and bite you all in one move. A master of fighting multiple (smaller) opponents. (Inspiration: The big fat wrestlers in kung fu movies.)

The Invincible Sword Princess

Fighting Style: Graceful and deadly. The Princess is one with her blade, and can use it for pretty much any purpose for which she uses her hands. (Inspiration: Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.)

The Jade Warlord

Fighting Style: Dishonorable and treacherous. This guy does not fight fair, being the type that would bring a gun to a knife fight. Not only does he have dirty tricks up his sleeve, but he also has a fighting force to back him. A fight with him would be very heavy with his subordinates. (Inspiration: The Emperor in Curse of the Golden Flower. Also others, like the Jade Warlord from Forbidden Kingdom.)

And here's a couple more for ya...

The Immortal Sorcerer

Fighting Style: Sorcerous. Uses spells to directly harm enemies, as well as summon otherworldly beasts, and empower allies with supernatural characteristics. Often cackles. (Inspiration: Lo Pan from Big Trouble in Little China)

Motherfrakkin' Ninjas

Fighting Style: Flip out and kill people. (Inspiration: Dude, they're NINJAS.)

Mallus

Legend
How about a 17-year old, spike-haired, 7ft. long hammer wielding, peasant-labor organizing Communist Revolutionary who was taught to channel the People's Chi by party bosses of the Central Committee of Zu Mountain and fights to bring about the People's Republic of the Middle Kingdom?

Oh wait, you said typical, not atypical. My bad.

(And no, I wasn't kidding about that character. I'm currently playing him a monthly campaign. His name? Cloud Strike).

The Little Raven

First Post
Mallus said:
peasant-labor

The Peasant Warrior

Fighting Style: Improvised, but fierce. He often uses some kind of tool associated with his craft as a weapon, with deadly results. Often no different in appearance than any other peasant.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Don't forget

The Blind Master

The Dishonoured Officer - his a disciplined and able leader and skilled fighter, he may be bitter but he is essentially a good man

The Lazy Glutton - he's uncouth and disrespectful and he'd rather be eating, drinking and womanising than fighting and some might even consider him a little cowardly. But he is a good fighter nonetheless even if he is easily distracted by a chicken

The Learned Scholar-Poet

The Loyal Youth - ok a variation of the peasant hero

The Barbarian - incredibly strong and equally able to take the hits he is a terrifying opponent striking with his huge hands or even bigger clubs

Last edited:

SKyOdin

First Post
The Mountain Bandit

A big, brawny, dirty-looking guy clad in furs who fights with large weapons such as Falchions and Axes. Likes looting and pillaging. Fighting Style: Crude and basic, relying entirely on the Bandit's brute strength.

I see these guys all the time in anime and kung fu movies.

Remove ads