Change 20th LVL limit? (3rd edition discussion)

taliesin15

First Post
Anyone out there come up with an alternative to the limits on character levels, i.e. 20th level, other than the Epic paradigm?

Flynn

First Post
Sword and Sorcery Advanced Player's Manual (or some similar name) had "Epic" progressions that were merely extensions of the normal classes from levels 21 to 30.

Also, Arcana Unearthed/Evolved took classes from 1st to 25th level.

Both could serve as inspiration for an alternate approach to high level play.

Hope This Helps,
Flynn

pawsplay

Hero
I actually kind of like the FR approach... each level is one feat, one ability score point, or +1 effective level for class abilities in a class you already have.

GeorgeFields

Explorer
Flynn said:
Sword and Sorcery Advanced Player's Manual (or some similar name) had "Epic" progressions that were merely extensions of the normal classes from levels 21 to 30.

Hope This Helps,
Flynn

I'll second this one.

taliesin15

First Post
It definitely seems to me that no further advancement in BA, hit points, skill points and saves seems a bit harsh. OTOH, do high level spellcasters really need more spells/day?

Seems logical to me that high level wizards might want to spend more of their time on research and teaching; post-graduate work, if you will. OTOH, they might start up a magic-item making factory in order to fund their new research hobby. Or maybe there's some sorta Ring of Power type relic they are looking for, or mystery they are trying to unravel, or hideous monster to kill.

Often IMC PCs tend to advance pretty quick in game time, and I understand this is not too uncommon, so I can imagine that high lvl characters still at a young age presents a conundrum--in your mid-20s as a human, what are you going to go with the rest of your life? Imagine the dilemma for an elf.

OTOH, I suppose they can start a new class.

Anyhow, thanks for the suggestions for other templates--I'll take a look at these.

Remove ads