The most recent layoffs *ALL READ*

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrooklynKnight

First Post
I think i can honestly say that i am no longer simply distrought at what this bigwig company is doing.....at this point I am simply pissed.

This big ass f.*****g company expects to make millions off of us D&D geeks when they dont realize the type of market they are trying to tap, and the limits of OUR resources.

With pokemon and furby and other huge hit toys the market was intense. It was aimed at not only small childen that begged their parents for it but people of all ages payed and collected them (as seen with Magic the Gathering and Pokemon Tornaments and various Modern Day collecter conventions, adults to bought things for them selves).

These f****g a****s arent satisfied churning out books month after month expecting us to spend every cent we have to keep them fat and rich.

Money doesnt role in, so they blame the creative people that actually make a diffrence and actually make us WANT to buy all the books. First Sean was layed off, now Skip and others too. Next thing you know they are going to Sue ED or something. They just dont understand that the market for D&D simply isint as large as it is for those other general products! We are 1/10th if not 1/100 or even 1/1000th the size of those markets and will never make them that much money.

I seriously want to fly to WOTC HQ and kick the son of a b****h CEO in his shrivled bag he calls nuts and push him out his corner office window!

Never have I been this infuriated by such greedy and underhanded actions. Never have I experienced something so..........OFFENSIVE to something I hold dear.

After the first lay-offs and the Silver Munchies story I started to think that the only answer was a boy-cott and demonstrations and email campaigns from every Roleplayer in the united states, and even the world.

Silver Marches came out and it was great... Then Races of Faerun was placed on the schedule and the rumors of Ghostwalk being trying to get fitted in started to make me feel a bit better. But now after this most recent travesty.... I really do think the ONLY way these people will understand is if they get cut off from the very thing they hold dear. OUR MONEY.

Sure...its a HUGE risk that they may simply say "f****t" and not bother with D&D anymore......but that only leaves the window open for all of US to take over. Once they cant milk anymore money out of us they will positivly sell it to someone else to get the last bit of value they can out of it.

As gamers, consumers, as intelligent people we all have to band together NOW or eventually D&D will die as we know it!

Edit: Eric...a thousand vulgarities upon you. how damned unamerican.

Edit #2:
For a place where you can read something that WONT be intentionally sensored by the administration(cant say anything bout automatic ezboard filters tho) check out the same post at

http://pub17.ezboard.com/fseankreynoldsboardsfrm1.showMessage?topicID=358.topic

Or www.seankreynolds.com who i intensly support.

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
dnd won't die. Especially with the OGL out there; WE will keep it alive.

On the other hand, wotc may die.

I see no need to boycott Wizards products... it's the parent company that needs a slap in the face. I suggest boycotting all other Hasbro stuff, writing a letter/email/fax to them, etc.

Also- I find it amusing that you include language like f**k but obscure "bastards" with smileys... can't help but think that's a little backwards...

Just my 2 cp. I totally understand your anger. My suggestion is that all the good talent band together and form a new company devoted to OGL product that will outsell wotc stuff. Teach 'em a lesson.

First Post
chilll outtt

Dude Chill, really. DnD will never die. Corporations are not evil, they are here to make their shareholders money. Sometimes the corporate suits make unpopular choices to you and me. Eventualy Hasbro will lose interest in DnD and sell it back to a small company (who cares) and we will all be happy campers! So chill out and just play the game.

Kai Lord

Hero
Dude, seriously, who cares? Everyone laid off will probably jump right into their own D20 company, like Monte and others have already done.

As for WOTC, what else do you need? You have the PHB, DMG, MM, FRCS, ELH, MoTP, PsiH, a book for every class, a plethora of modules, and the MM2 coming out in a couple of weeks with freaking myconids in it.

What are you going to do, boycott the Drow Chicks Gone Wild unrated Forgotten Realms video? That'll show Hasbro.

You've got all the core books you could want. You've got Forgotten Realms written by Greenwood and Reynolds. You've got the Dragonlance sourcebook coming up written by Margaret Weis, and everything in between.

If you feel bad for those laid off, just buy the products they release under new companies. Sheesh, what melodrama.

Thorin Firemane

First Post
I have to agree with that last posting. The simple truth is this: Hasbro does not care about D & D. They look at us the same way most of us look at our character sheets: a collection of numbers. The main difference is that we see something behind the numbers. These people do not.

D & D was in great hands when it was taken by Wizards, after the collapse of TSR. But the tide shifted the other way when Hasbro took Wizards. From what I have seen, the morons who run Hasbro have done everything they can to demand more out of Wizards, while simultaneously tying its hands on every possible option they can. Now, some of the greatest creative minds have been removed. Does anyone really think the game will recover from this? Now, honestly?

The answer is obvious: No. Dungeons & Dragons is dying out, people. I know there are still some optimists out there that don't see it yet, but it is going to happen.

I have no idea what is going through the minds of the Hasbro people. I use to like them, when I was a kid. I was a big fan of the mid-80's G. I. Joe line. Transformers, too. That's when I looked at toy companies as the guys that made my toys. Now, all I see are a bunch of greedy idiots who are trying to cut off their own arms to spite their hands. This kind of strategy cannot even be bull:):):):)ted into sounding good. I cannot comprehend why they think it will help to whittle away at Wizards' employees.

Anyway, I have to agree that a complete boycott is in order. Unfortunately, aside from D & D stuff, I never buy anything from Hasbro anyway. I would very much like to see this boycott happen, but I don't think people care enough to accomplish it. Nowadays, it takes something much bigger than this to make people band together and actually make things happen. A lot of folks will post on this board, and rant and rave, and then they will move on. The fire will burn low again, and Hasbro will continue with what it is doing, until it has drained the D & D husk dry, then it will toss it aside.

I hope that some of you can actually prove me wrong. If it can be made to happen, I'll gladly join in. But I'm not holding my breath.

(Let me just add that between the time I began writing this post, and the time that I finished with it, several other replies were written as well. My posting is referring back to the original in this thread. Just wanted to clear that up.)

Last edited:

Wolfwood

First Post
I do not believe the sky is falling chicken little. They let people go. Now a days a lot of corporations are doing that, but unlike most corps Wizards still works with the people that quit or they let go.

As for instance Monte Cook who has freelanced a lot for WoTC since starting up Malhavoc Press. In my opinion this will strengthen all the other D20 companies that want to compete by picking up some of the talent let go.

This allows more competition and better products being brought to you by a lot more companies. This could be the begining of something really good for everyone.

Boycotting Hasbro will do nothing, but make them cut more jobs later on. Eventually if they do decide to get rid of D&D, to make the last bit of money they can, there are more than a few people with good intentions and ability that would more then welcome the chance to buy it.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Thorin Firemane said:
The answer is obvious: No. Dungeons & Dragons is dying out, people. I know there are still some optimists out there that don't see it yet, but it is going to happen.

Thorin and Arthur, I have a question.

Do you remember Dungeons and Dragons in 1995-1997. I guarantee you - let me make this point again - I GUARANTEE you it was far more "dead" then than it is now.

TSR had a management team that did everything they could to bleed the cash cow, short of actually FEEDING said cash cow. While Hasbro/WotC is making many, many business decisions over the past 2 years that I question, they have not come close to the mismanagement and lack of customer support that TSR did in that period. If you lived through that as a gamer, then you should recall this. If not, then a little research in this would be enough to tell you I speak the truth.

Back then, TSR couldn't even afford new ART for their products! Think about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases