Creature Crypt

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Hey all. :)

Hope everyone's been doing well around here.

Isn't it about time to bury the Creature Crypt? :) I don't see any use for it anymore, now that the game has moved on to 4E. WotC is not selling 3E books anymore (apart from any overstock they want to move, but I digress) so I can't see our conversions being a challenge anymore. Why not dump that stuff back into the main conversions page?

Likewise, if you all want to keep the 3.5 thing going, I can't see any problem with re-converting anything that was in a 3E book and had been in a previous edition, especially if we don't like how WotC handled it, or if you think you can do a better job.

I'd even be bold and say that we could approach anything from the ToH for the same reasons, although I give more of a benefit of the doubt to NG than I do to WotC. ;)

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Well, not that I have the authority to do this or anything, but I agree with you. As far as editions go, I think Shade is planning on going Pathfinder RPG when the time comes. :)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
I know, but in the meantime... :)

I'll confess that I've lost interest in doing any more 3.5 conversions (being that the system is dead and all), but I'm definitely open to the idea of coming back to do Pathfinder stuff down the line. :)

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'm not really sure what to think on the matter.

On the one hand, since WotC has moved on from 3e, I doubt there'd be much challenge if we did our own versions of stuff they updated to 3e. OTOH, if we go Pathfinder, they might get snippy about it.

Honestly, I'm not even sure if they're on WotC's radar.

I definitely intent to go Pathfinder if at all possible, and am thankful that I have no intention of going 4e now that the draconian GSL has been released. <shudder>

Regardless, in the meantime I'm still having plenty of fun converting stuff to 3.5, and there's a large enough fan base out there that may still find use for it. Ironically, I've seen more "nice work/I can use this" comments since 4e's release than in the year prior. :)

I'm also not too worried about dipping into the Crypt just yet, as Echohawk still shows just under 1200 unconverted creatures remain. ;)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
I thought Paizo wasn't going to be printing conversions of old TSR stuff for Pathfinder anyway? If I'm wrong, then I'd love to be wrong...

What I was thinking was that if mission of the CC is converted to Pathfinder (if so, there should be a site redesign to keep the 3E stuff separate from the PF stuff), then anything from a previous edition *should* be fair game - like, if you wanted to convert a Pixie or a Displacer beast, you would do a straight conversion from the old material and not even look at the actual WotC printed 3E stuff. Then, if any other stuff needs to be done to adjust it you could, but again you'd keep your eyes off the MM to avoid plaigarism.

Yeah, I'm definitely not converting stuff to 4E any time soon - straight 3E is unlikely as well (you guys have that covered well for now), but if a gun was to my head to make a choice, I'd be on 3E like white on rice. ;)

I wasn't talking about reconverting Creature Crypt stuff or anything, I just meant that I think they should be moved back into "general population", i.e., treat them like the rest of the conversions as if WotC had never printed their own 3E version.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Not sure exactly what all this means, but I don't want to see all the hard work you guys have put into converting monsters from previous editions into 3E down the drain. Would the 3e conversions stay here at EnWorld and at the Creature Catalogue Website?

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Not sure exactly what all this means, but I don't want to see all the hard work you guys have put into converting monsters from previous editions into 3E down the drain. Would the 3e conversions stay here at EnWorld and at the Creature Catalogue Website?
I don't think you have to worry Rev. I doubt that the CC will be going anywhere. Shade is really against the monster design philosophy for 4e, and I have to agree with him. The only thing I'd like to try, regarding 4e, is converting some of the more interesting (and new) 4e monsters into 3e versions.

However, Wizards might take offense at that. :

Cheers!

KF72

Big Mac

Explorer
Isn't it about time to bury the Creature Crypt? :) I don't see any use for it anymore, now that the game has moved on to 4E. WotC is not selling 3E books anymore (apart from any overstock they want to move, but I digress) so I can't see our conversions being a challenge anymore. Why not dump that stuff back into the main conversions page?

I suppose you could. The ESD Conversion Agreement allow you to convert everything to 3rd edition. Deciding to not convert things is just a matter of "politeness".

Likewise, if you all want to keep the 3.5 thing going, I can't see any problem with re-converting anything that was in a 3E book and had been in a previous edition, especially if we don't like how WotC handled it, or if you think you can do a better job.

I suppose people might want to take things that have been tied in with one campaign setting (like Forgotten Realms) and make more general versions of them from old school sources.

Alternatively people might want to complete a "set" that has one or two monsters missing.

I'd even be bold and say that we could approach anything from the ToH for the same reasons, although I give more of a benefit of the doubt to NG than I do to WotC. ;)

Is ToH going out of print? If things are still in print, then maybe it would be "polite" to refrain from competing. But if they are going to switch to the GSL and stop selling ToH then these monsters will go out of print until the copyright expires. It would be nice for Creature Catalogue to give the next generation of fans an alternative source.

I'll confess that I've lost interest in doing any more 3.5 conversions (being that the system is dead and all), but I'm definitely open to the idea of coming back to do Pathfinder stuff down the line. :)

I think that is a real shame. I'm planning of sticking with 3.5 (and have been buying up rulebooks). I'm thinking of looking into Pathfinder (and maybe using it as house rules) but I think I'd rather have a full set of 3.5 monsters if possible.

On the one hand, since WotC has moved on from 3e, I doubt there'd be much challenge if we did our own versions of stuff they updated to 3e. OTOH, if we go Pathfinder, they might get snippy about it.

Hmm. The ESD Conversion Agreement says 3rd edition and doesn't mention Pathfinder. So I'm not sure if you can do it. I'd say the ESD Conversion Agreement counts as a PI licence.

Maybe you can create "3rd edition conversions" that are bumped up enough that they work with Pathfinder, but not use the Pathfinder name. I think most people would know what you mean if you said they were "3.75 conversions" and any bits that were Pathfinder specific were "house rules" that you listed in a sidebar.

I definitely intent to go Pathfinder if at all possible, and am thankful that I have no intention of going 4e now that the draconian GSL has been released. <shudder>

Draconian GSL? Is that why they took the Dragonlance licence back from Margaret Weis Productions? So that they could have a licence for draconians?

Just kidding! :p

Regardless, in the meantime I'm still having plenty of fun converting stuff to 3.5, and there's a large enough fan base out there that may still find use for it. Ironically, I've seen more "nice work/I can use this" comments since 4e's release than in the year prior. :)

I don't know about anyone else, but I was slow to move over to 3rd edition. I struggled learning all the 3.0 rules and then was really resistant to learning 3.5. But when 4.0 came along it was the kick up the bum I needed to get me into the system. Now I want to see all the out of print campaign settings get converted to 3rd edition and Creature Catalogue is doing all of the monsters for me.

There are plenty of websites (like Dragonsfoot) that cater for fans of older versions of D&D and I hope that these monsters can give people pleasure for years to come. It would be great to see people downloading these even after 5th edition comes out.

I'm also not too worried about dipping into the Crypt just yet, as Echohawk still shows just under 1200 unconverted creatures remain. ;)

I think the unconverted creatures need doing first. That way someone can get Echohawk's index and buy the books with their missing monsters on eBay. But with generic D&D "stealing" monsters from campaign settings, there are a few that I'd like to see included in a PDF dedicated to one setting.

And things like a Races of the Eye PDF (with a full set of beholders) could be great to see.

I don't think you have to worry Rev. I doubt that the CC will be going anywhere. Shade is really against the monster design philosophy for 4e, and I have to agree with him. The only thing I'd like to try, regarding 4e, is converting some of the more interesting (and new) 4e monsters into 3e versions.

However, Wizards might take offense at that.

I think they might. The ESD Conversion Agreement wouldn't cover such a conversion, so you would be relying on good will.

I would actually like to see WotC do a retro-conversion agreement that lets people take things all the way back to 3rd edition, AD&D and OD&D. That could probably tempt some old school fans into buying new books to convert to their favorite rules, so it might boost sales.

The fact that there is no proper 4eSRD would also boost sales as everyone doing conversions would definatly need to core rules as well as monster books.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Is ToH going out of print? If things are still in print, then maybe it would be "polite" to refrain from competing. But if they are going to switch to the GSL and stop selling ToH then these monsters will go out of print until the copyright expires. It would be nice for Creature Catalogue to give the next generation of fans an alternative source.

Hmm, good point - I guess I hadn't considered that it might still be in print! Maybe want to leave those conversions alone then... we pretty much have 3.0 versions of all of those anyway (because, if you didn't know, the ToH versions are just reworkings of stuff from the CC website!), and if we wanted to, we could just update those to 3.5 versions (making sure they are different enough from the ToH revised).

I think that is a real shame. I'm planning of sticking with 3.5 (and have been buying up rulebooks). I'm thinking of looking into Pathfinder (and maybe using it as house rules) but I think I'd rather have a full set of 3.5 monsters if possible.

don't get me wrong - i'm still playing D&D 3.5 and plan to continue as long as my group stays with it. :) i just haven't had the time or interest in doing monster conversions to 3.5 in several months, and don't see that changing any time soon. i never say never though (except there, where i said it twice). meanwhile, i'm sure Shade and the crew will gladly keep going until they get the remaining 1200 monsters or so converted, right? ;)

I would actually like to see WotC do a retro-conversion agreement that lets people take things all the way back to 3rd edition, AD&D and OD&D. That could probably tempt some old school fans into buying new books to convert to their favorite rules, so it might boost sales.

if i ever had the time and energy to put it together, one thing i would do would be to create my own 3.5ish setting that would incorporate as much old school content as possible. don't count on this happening before i retire, though. :)

Garnfellow

Explorer
The Crypt only contains monsters that were updated in WotC material, right?

If so, I definitely think the Crypt should be folded back into the regular conversions. And frankly, because so many of the official WotC versions were more radical re-imaginings * than actual conversions, I'm not sure the more conservative CC versions were actually competition. There was great utility in having both approaches available.

For example, I just used the water weird a couple of weeks ago in my conversion of The Lair of Maldred the Mighty. I was completely psyched to be able to go to the Crypt for that one; saved me a lot of work.

As far as ToH stuff, I would recommend staying away, particularly if Clark was serious about a full-color Pathfinder version.

* As a huge fan of BSG, there's nothing wrong with re-imagining classic material.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases