Diablo III

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Apparently the controls were better, and the PC had some stupid pay-to-play market place thing going on. I hear rumors they are yanking that on the PC.

No, you didn't need to pay to play. If you found interesting gear in game, you could take it over to the auction house to sell it, but that was by no means required to play the game. I had no problem playing with only what the monsters dropped, and the in-game shops sold.

Janx

Hero
No, you didn't need to pay to play. If you found interesting gear in game, you could take it over to the auction house to sell it, but that was by no means required to play the game. I had no problem playing with only what the monsters dropped, and the in-game shops sold.

thanks for the clarification.

And welcome to the section of the thread about the Actual game instead of speculation... :)

Jhaelen

First Post
Well, to qualify that a bit, it depends on how early you started with Inferno difficulty. In the beginning it was incredibly hard. It took a few patches before it was beatable by players using self-found gear.

I had no trouble getting to the beginning of Inferno very quickly, since I played all five character classes in parallel, one act at a time. This allowed me to distribute items and gems around, so I didn't have to rely on the Auction House. But I still had to temporarily give up at the end of Act 2 and wait for the next patch to reduce difficulty.

The problem is that Diablo is a very gear-dependent game, and drop rates for good items in the pc version simply suck. They fixed this with the console version and shortly before the expansion hits the market, a new patch will also fix it for the pc. I'm looking forward to play it again after pausing for almost a year.

PigKnight

First Post
Oddly enough, this thread died before the game was actually released. Didn't it come out like just last year?

In any event, the console version was rated better than the PC version. Apparently the controls were better, and the PC had some stupid pay-to-play market place thing going on. I hear rumors they are yanking that on the PC.

I liked the 360 version, but I find it a bit repetitive once you beat the game, it's just go back and do it again to get better gear. I'm back to playing Minecraft 360
It had a real money auction house. So instead of people buying items from sketchy 3rd parties, they'd buy them from a safe place and Blizz gets a cut of the money.

It didn't work out that well because rich kids would buy items at ridiculous prices so the RMAH economy went bad real quick.

Alarian

First Post

I strongly disagree with this. I played for about 200 hours before finally giving up in frustration. On my first characters play though, I vowed never to use either of the Auction halls. It was an exercise in frustration. The first dozen or so levels were fine and then it started getting more and more difficult. By the time I was in my 40's I still had item level 8-14 items on my character and nothing above level 25. Everything was slow and difficult. I finally decided I was either going to have to use the AH or quit the game in frustration. I started buying stuff off the Gold AH "just the one time to get me back up to par" and started playing again and having fun. 10 levels or so later and I was back in the same boat. I had gotten perhaps 1 or two upgrades other than that I still was wearing all the same equipment I had bought on the AH 10-12 levels earlier. After that, I waved the white flag and just started buying off the AH.

The Game is (or at least was, I haven't played in a year at least) designed pretty much requiring you to use the AH to continue to level up. They even managed to get a little cash off me in the Real Money Auction Hall before I came to my senses and quit the game. In my opinion the game was designed from the start to work like the "free to play" games. Where sure you can play for free, but if you want to not grind endlessly just stop by our trusty AH and buy a few goodies to make the game even better.

For me at least, it took away the whole reason I played. Cool loot drops. I got no enjoyment at all grinding for gold and buying what I wanted off the AH.

PigKnight

First Post
I strongly disagree with this. I played for about 200 hours before finally giving up in frustration. On my first characters play though, I vowed never to use either of the Auction halls. It was an exercise in frustration. The first dozen or so levels were fine and then it started getting more and more difficult. By the time I was in my 40's I still had item level 8-14 items on my character and nothing above level 25. Everything was slow and difficult. I finally decided I was either going to have to use the AH or quit the game in frustration. I started buying stuff off the Gold AH "just the one time to get me back up to par" and started playing again and having fun. 10 levels or so later and I was back in the same boat. I had gotten perhaps 1 or two upgrades other than that I still was wearing all the same equipment I had bought on the AH 10-12 levels earlier. After that, I waved the white flag and just started buying off the AH.

The Game is (or at least was, I haven't played in a year at least) designed pretty much requiring you to use the AH to continue to level up. They even managed to get a little cash off me in the Real Money Auction Hall before I came to my senses and quit the game. In my opinion the game was designed from the start to work like the "free to play" games. Where sure you can play for free, but if you want to not grind endlessly just stop by our trusty AH and buy a few goodies to make the game even better.

For me at least, it took away the whole reason I played. Cool loot drops. I got no enjoyment at all grinding for gold and buying what I wanted off the AH.
If you were having problems in your 40s it was likely a build issue. And you only really need to upgrade weapons, and a good +dmg, +primary stat, +life on hit/life drain weapon will carry you for a long time.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases