Move Action then Charge Standard Action? Is this Possible?

hong

WotC's bitch
Think of charge as "run over and take a crude swing at the bad guy". This is why you can do other stuff before charging, like move, get up, shift, and whatnot. It's also why you can't use class powers, only a basic attack.

What's REALLY weird is how you can move 2 squares and take a crude swing, but you can't if you only move 1 square.

NMcCoy

Explorer
I think of it as putting the momentum of your movement into the swing, hence the +1 to hit, and if you don't move 2 squares then you don't have time to get your swing going properly before you get there. Without much in-depth consideration, I suspect the restriction is partly for flavor (is it really charging someone if you do it from five feet away?) and partly to avoid overly weird interactions with shifting.

James McMurray

First Post
IMO Charge should have been: "move and make a basic attack. If you move 2 or more squares, get a +1 to hit." It's microsopically more complicated, but would get rid of the inability to attack if you only move 1 square.

spunky_mutters

First Post
Yeah, we're houseruling no +1 if 5', but you can still move and attack. It just broke it for me too much when a player standing from prone had to charge the guy 30' away instead of the guy 5' away.

Tonester

First Post
It actually makes alot of sense to me the way it is. When a player charges, they are essentially using the momentum of their movement as the actual attack. This is why its a basic attack and at +1.

Someone who starts at 5' away doesn't gain any momentum. Furthermore, the person they are 5' away from is more aware of them and their actions.

It might also trivialize and unbalance some issues with shifting and combat. There is a ton of thought that goes into the 5 to 10' area and 1 square can mean a big deal. For instance: What about the creatures and moves that allow them to shift 1 square after an attack. This is essential for ensuring their enemy/target must use a move action in order to perform an attack.

Charge is something that is meant to cover ground quickly and get you into the fray. Not something that is to be used over and over and over again during the course of an encounter.... that is my 2 cents anyway.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases