If 2handed weapon is wielded 1 handed, does it still count as 2 handed?

hamishspence

Adventurer
From what I can tell, the general rule for 1 handed weapons is they stay 1 handed for power and feat purposes, even if versatile, and used 2 handed, or if the wielder is halfling and MUST use them 2 handed.

I can live with that. However, does the same apply in reverse?

An ogre can use a Medium greatsword or greataxe one handed. Would a Fighter Template ogre get the full benefit of powers that are more powerful two-handed?

What about if you went the whole hog and statted an ogre with 2 templates, Ranger and Fighter, thus making it solo. Would it be able to Two-Weapon Fight with greataxes, and still benefit from them normally being two handed weapons?

hamishspence

Adventurer
the big question would be, if there any way of taking advantage of this?

For example, would it be possible to get more hitting power from the monster that you would with Large one handed weapons?

The advantage of trying to make the monster hit as good with weapons too small for it, is that players can use those weapons when they beat the monster. So, better rewards.

hamishspence

Adventurer
Phb 220

A Large creature can use a two handed weapon 1 size smaller and "treat them as one handed weapons." I'm not sure if that prevents them from using Two-handed powers to the full though.

Simplest way would be to say yes, whats sauce for the good is sauce for the gander. If a one handed weapon is always one handed, even in two hands, same applies in reverse.

Terwox

First Post
Also note, if you go to that link, it says that large creatures can use two-handed weapons sized for medium creatures and "treat them as one handed weapons."

So the fighter template for a minotaur using a greataxe in one hand would require one-handed weapons rather than two-handed weapons.

This is different than the (fairly silly) halfling ruling, however it all works together fairly cleanly. (As a small player character, you gain the advantage as a fighter as being able to take one-handed weapon specialization, and covering all your weapons. You do not gain this as any other size.)

The way we ruled this (we have a minotaur in our group, they can use larger weapons) was that a greatsword or greataxe is just a longsword or battleaxe in their larger hands. I mean really what is the difference besides size? Thus both of them gain the versatile property.

Note this is a house rule (based on somewhat common sense), but the RAW don't really have any definitive answer.

hamishspence

Adventurer
not the question

A medium two handed weapon in the hands of a Large creature is always used one handed. The question was: does it still count as two handed for power purposes?

This is the counterpart to the corresponding halfling longsword fighter: does his weapon always count as one handed for power purposes?

If they ever release a Large player race, this may be important. Would a Large fighter be able to use Power Attack to the fullest while using a greatsword one handed?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases