Gaming w/Jemal 4E: Past Tense

Jemal

Adventurer
*This is the IC thread for my Past Tense 4th edition game.*

Once you were proud and powerful heroes, hunting down powerful and dangerous foes. The most recent of these was a Lich you've been after for some time now. After several months you finally managed to track him down, beat through his forces, and slay him. Unfortunately, when you went to destroy his Phylactery, it unleashed a terrible curse. Your bodies spasmed and you each fell, twitching, to the floor.

When you awoke, the air seemed even more stale than before and you found yourselves weakened. Exiting the crypt required you to wade through mounds of rubble and walls of webbing - The corpses of the foes you'd killed on your way in nowhere to be found - and the floor is covered in a deep layer of dust which you kick up with each step. Finally reaching the exit into the sunlight, you can't help but stop and stare in awe. When you'd first entered the crpyt, it had been located in a graveyard just outside of town... but now all that can be seen in every direction is Jungle, and a few broken and worn rocks around you that may once have been tombstones. Glancing back, you see the crypt you left appears to be all that is still standing - and that just barely.

A gasp from one draws the attention of all. On the other side of the crypt, down the hill and out a hundred feet, lies the beginning of the largest body of water you've ever seen, stretching out into the distance farther than your sight can follow it.

Just what the hell happened in there, you wonder as the sun meanders slowly across the sky.

[sblock=ooc] It appears to be late afternoon.
As described, the lich's lair was in a cemetery on a hill just outside of a major city. You came out the same way you went in and now stand staring at a jungle where the city should be, and the cemetery has been overgrown. On the other side of the hill is the coastline, and a vast ocean.
[/sblock]

Zweischneid

First Post
Ruthear ar'Thar, Veteran of the Twilight Wars and one of the Worlds more famous Warlords, crouches near the Crypts entrance carefully examining a handful of dirt and stones as if to divine meaning from them.

"IMPOSSIBLE!" he roars, hurling the dirt away in frustration. "This is impossible! Whatever has happend! This should not be. It is not possible I say!"

Rising to his feet, the black-clad Tiefling turns to his companions, his face in shadows and his regally curved horns outlined against the slowly setting sun.

"A simple delusion, clearly. A pathetic mind-trick to fool the foolish." he growls. "Almost had fooled me there! Trickster-Corpse!"

Atanatotatos

First Post
Illian looks around in dismay as the others emerge from the crypt and gasps at the sight in front of him. He tries to recollect his thoughts and concentrates briefly.
[sblock=ooc]Illian tries to detect magic effects in the area, illusions, or any trace of spells used; i'd say taking ten is reasonable: arcana 22, insight 22[/sblock]
Then he comes to a sudden realization and almost jumps at the shock and yells desperately, almost in tears.My lute! The lute of Fae is gone!

SarahRequiem

First Post
Ash shields her eyes from the sun for a few seconds then look out to the surrounding.

"Let's not get carried away, surely there is an explanation to this..." says the tall eladrin woman, calmly.

She walks down the steps for a few feet and try to look for signs of the town that used to be standing near the crypt. She turns around and looks at Illian as he yells ub shock.

"Your lute?

Graf

Explorer
Verity has followed the group quietly. He gently runs his fingers over an nearby vine. The plant has been growing here for years...

I'm afraid it's not an illusion Master ar'Thar. Even the unseen lord couldn't effect this kind of change so quickly, at least not on the material plane.

He looks back at the crypt behind him. Is this the same crypt we entered such a short time ago? I wonder...

Let me gather myself and see if I can sense any sort of magical energies.
Verity squats down on the ground focusing himself to try to sense magic.
[sblock=Sense the Presence of Magic]
Arcana Roll: 27
Range: 11 squares

By the book that's 3rd level or less (!) :-S[/sblock]

SarahRequiem

First Post
"That's what I feared, Varity... But everything is so different. Are we on another plane of existance? or How long have we been uncouncious?" Wonders Ash.

Bialaska

First Post
One of the last to leave is the Knight, Lady Keira, dragging with her the steed that she stubbornly dragged into the crypt and had no opportunities to use, yet she insisted that she might have a need for it at some point.

"Strange, where did that cowardly squire of mine go?" Keira mutters, looking around for her Squire Tuomas, whose courage ran out just before they entered the crypt and after this he had found an excuse to wait outside the crypt, keeping an eye out for more enemies.

It is at that point she discovers that the entire world appears to have changed and she raises a brow. "Did I overlook this jungle when we began our quest? And where did the city go?"

Graf

Explorer
Verity finishes spending his minute in concentration. Interesting...

[sblock=ooc]
Punting until Jemal tells me what, if anything, I've sensed.[/sblock]

"That's what I feared, Varity... But everything is so different. Are we on another plane of existance? or How long have we been uncouncious?" Wonders Ash.

I do not think we are on another plane... This is certainly not the feywild or the shadowfell.

"Did I overlook this jungle when we began our quest? And where did the city go?"
I am not sure, my lady, that the city went anywhere.

Zweischneid

First Post
"If what we see is not a phantasm, than either the city has been moved... or we have." Ruthear growls.

"But not only the city has vanished. That incompetent squire of Lady Keira is gone, as are the fell beasts we vanquished at the very entrance of the crypt and this..." pointing to the blue vastness on the other side, he snarls "...THIS, was not here before."

"Either way, Night will soon be falling and we should best answer this conundrum before than."

Looking out to the forest, than back to the ruined crypt the Tiefling concludes.
"We could explore this miserable patch of land to learn more about our whereabouts, or.. backtrack to the Phylactery and unriddle this mysterious curse."

Jemal

Adventurer
There is no magic to be sensed on top of the hill, not even faint or fading magic... Which is especially strange because the wards you had to get through going in should still have been detectable for days.

Verity ponders for a moment and remembers that the stars look distincively different to perceptive eyes from different locations. He remembers what they should look like from many places he's been, so if they have travelled to another plane/location, he may be able to tell where tonight(Nature Knowledge).

Perception Checks for anybody looking/searching: (They are cumulative, read each one you make)
[sblock=DC 12]
There are no footprints except your own on the hill top, nor paths.
[/sblock]
[sblock=DC 18]
The crypt you exited looks exactly like the one you entered. Although much more worn, it's markings and carvings are distinctive.
[/sblock]
[sblock=DC 24]
As you are searching, you turn over one of the gravestones to find Lady Keira's name! The date of death is the day you went in, and the stone appears weathered and battered by time. On the bottom, it has a barely legible quote "She taught me to be the best Squire I could, and I shall carry on knighthood in her stead"
[/sblock]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases