Rebuilding the World chapter 1: Recovery

Jemal

Adventurer
The Cataclysm :
Sages and seers warned it would come, but the world didn't care. They thought it wouldn't matter - So what if a rock from space was heading for them? And so, when it finally arrived within their orbit, the worlds highest mage reached out with his magics to bat it aside.. and he was sent flying as the rock reflected his spell back at him. Others tried - Transmuters could not alter it, Evokers could not destroy it, Abjurers could not stop it. And so the Allmighty Warlord atop his Great Prismatic Wyrm went up into the sky. The world watched as the rock grew larger in the sky, and the warlord dwindled from sight.. how big could this thing be, they wondered? The Seers watched the Warlord as he approached the massive Rock, wielding his magical Adamantine blade and attempting to cleave it in two. They nodded sadly as the blade disintegrated, followed closely by the warlord and his dragon.

The rock was stronger than Adamantium, radiated a powerful and strange anti-magic, and killed any who approached it.
With only a few hours left, a young gnome finally came upon the solution - Technology. Nonmagical explosives, and LOTS of them.
The gnomes gathered all they could find, compressing them into a tiny canister and firing it at the rock.
The largest fireball ever seen lit up the sky, hotter and brighter than the sun for the few seconds it flared, and as it died away, the rock was seen blown to bits! The crowds rejoiced, for their world would not be crushed... But the sages again shook their heads sighing, and retreated deep into the earth as the thousands of smaller rocks began to rain down, each causing a great impact and explosion as it hit the ground. The Meteor shower lasted for 3 days during which Empires were destroyed, whole races wiped out, and civilization ceased to exist.

Aftermath:

That was a few months ago. You've been hiding in the remains of The City since. The creatures that were left alive outside seem to have devolved into barbarism and extreme aggression as they struggle to survive.
When the shower ended, there were over two dozen survivors who managed to gather in this city. Since then, you're down to 8.
The city isn't safe, but what else can you do? Rebuild something defensive here, and hope other survivors find you? Or go out and try to find them?

The old man amongst you, a wizard named William who has lost his spellbook, knows of a tower a few days away that may still stand, and could provide you with a stable base to start from... if you can make it there.

You awaken this morning as you have the past few days. You've enough supplies to last a few more days before you'll have to venture out into the city streets to look for more - A dangerous task, as the more feral survivors are out there, just waiting for a chance to kill. It takes nearly an hour before anybody notices that the youngest of you, a 16 year old human girl, is missing.

geogator

First Post
Sahar goes about her morning routine consisting of a light meal, small repairs and inspections of her gear, then tending to her horse. It is only when she tries to find the young girl Sally to offer to let her feed oats to Jasper that she realizes the girls is missing. Frowning heavily she approaches William.

"William, I think the young mistress of our little enclave is gone into hiding. Have you seen her lately?"

Jemal

Adventurer
"Lady Sally? Why no, come to think of it I've not seen the lass since supper yesterday." The old man looks around, his face worried. "You don't suppose she went outside, do you?" He moans slightly in pain as he crosses the lobby, looking for the others and asking if anybody has seen her (Nobody has this morning).

Soon you're all gathered in the front lobby of your current 'home', an old inn that was once known as the 'Dizzy Sheep', debating what to do. It is nearly noon now, and the city outside is quiet as death. Thats when you notice the front door - neither locked nor barred. William moves to and opens the thick oaken door cautiously, staring into the street.

Listen checks, please, as William opens the door (Cumulative, read each and any you make.

[sblock=DC 14]
As The creaking of the door subsides, you realize the the quiet is more than natural - no dogs barking, wolves baying, even birds chirping.. Many were killed, but you've heard wildlife since the Cataclysm, enroaching on the city. Strange that it should be so quiet today.
[/sblock]
[sblock=DC 19]
You can hear a faint, haunting melody filter through the open doorway
[/sblock]

Last edited:

geogator

First Post
Sahar seems to be struggling with the strap and buckle that holds her shoulder guard in place. The heavy steel rings and scratches noisily against her helm. She seems oblivious.

(1)

Last edited:

OutlawJT

First Post
Dwovak Nalgirn

Dwovak approached the door cautiously, peering out and down the street. Something definitely wasn't right here and it rose the hairs on the back of his neck. Slowly he drew his axe from it's belt loop and held it up, ready to fight. His other arm carefully slid through the strap of his buckleraxe. This whole situation put him on edge.

"'Ere's definitely somethin na right out there me boyos. Best be makin yerselves ready if'n ya don fancy diein. Anyone else know wha tha music is?" Dwovak's eyes never left the street as he spoke. "So, which a you lads and lasses is comin with me ta find Miss Sally?"

He looks back at the group assembled in the lobby. A mischievous grin crept across his face. His beard seemed to light up with energy and anticipation. They had been sitting in here playing dead for too long. It was time to be on the move. Time to start making his way home. Time to do something other than sit on his ass, anyway.

Listen check. (1d20+1=20)

metaldragon0

First Post
Albrak had been sleeping later than usual this morning, he had a long night on watch observing the outside world for signs of trouble. He had been awoken by the sound of voices, and quickly dressed and went out into the main room where all the others had gathered. Apparently, the young girl Sally was missing, that was bad, she was a good kid.

Listen Check

The Dwarf, Dwovak, drew his axe, mentioned something about some music (he didn't hear anything), and asked who was going to join him to go find Sally.

Albrak decided that he should go and help.

"I'll come, let me go get my weapons and armor."

geogator

First Post
Sahar looks toward the dwarf and nods. "Give me a moment to saddle Jasper. He is as anxious for a good conflict as you are my friend." She turns on a heel and strides toward the little pin where the your warhorse has been corralled for several weeks. Deftly she moves about him preparing him with saddle and barding. The horse livens up as she cinches the straps in place. He knows he is going to be ridden.

The lance hanging on the wall is removed and she guides the stallion toward the door by his reins.

Halford

First Post
Thadieus strides out his hair ruffled and his eyes red rimmed for lack of sleep - there was always a little more to read a few more notes to be taken. He glowers at his new colleagues whilst gently scratching the throat of Jiffy his ever present weasel companion.

"What's going on? Where is that wretched girl Sally? She was supposed to be recounting her story to me for the annals - blast her." There does not appear to be a lot of vehemence behind the wizard's ire.

Seeing Dwovak leering at him the young mage quirks an eyebrow and pulls a wand taking up a position behind the Dwarf. His eyes flicker for a moment to Sahar and a faint hint of crimson touches his cheeks before he shakes himself and says.

"What's up Dwovak? Do we have a mark? Who, what, where?"

Jiffy runs up to his master's head and stands up on his hind legs peering out at the street. Sensing his master's agitation the weasel emits barely audible short huffing barks.

[sblock=geogator]Hey geogator do you have any objection to Thadieus having a little crush on Sahar? As long as you don't feel weird about it I will run with it otherwise consider it dropped just let me know![/sblock]

Last edited:

metaldragon0

First Post
Returning to his room, Albrak quickly but carefully donned his armor, making sure it was on properly. His magical hammer, that has been his weapon for many years, lay propped up in the corner. He picked it up and felt the balance, the same as always, but better to be safe than sorry. Finally, he recovered his backpack, containing the meager traveling supplies he, like the others, had managed to recover after the disaster.

Returning to the group, Albrak noticed the mage had joined them.

"Ah, Thadieus, I see you have decided to join us."

Jemal

Adventurer
"OH dear, it looks like the whole troupe is moving.. I suppose somebody has to stay here and hold down the fort." William's smile freezes on his face as Dwovak points out the music. "Oh dear... I've heard that before. That's the song of the Harpy! Oh dear, the poor lass, I hope she's all right" William starts out the door, apparently forgeting his earlier statements about holding down the fort.

[sblock=ooc] A little bit of background info you've picked up on William - He used to be a powerful (10th level) wizard, but since the Cataclysm and loss of his spellbook, he's been casting from his memory, and has few spells left. He's managed to keep his lower - level spells fresh by 'borrowing' from Thaedius (If that's ok with Halford) and promising to return the favour... some day.
Outside of combat he'll be just another NPC. IN combat, he's your 'ace in the hole'. Unless you ask for his help, he'll preserve his magics for times when they ARE needed and asked for, because once he uses them, they're gone (Unless he manages to find another spell book, or come across enough materials and safe time to start a new one).

I need to know how you're travelling, if you're trying to move stealthily, and if you're taking anything 'extra' (Supplies, etc you wouldn't regularily carry on your person) with you.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases