D&D 3rd Edition / 3.5 Converting Creatures from Other Campaign Settings




Closed Thread
Page 1 of 103 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 1028
  1. #1
    Monster Junkie
    Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

    Shade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    The Great Wheel
    Posts
    25,985

    ø Ignore Shade

    Converting Creatures from Other Campaign Settings

    This thread continues the idea of “cooperative conversions”, converting a series of monsters from similar sources. For this thread, we will be focusing on monsters that first appeared in the assorted campaign settings not covered by other threads, such as Jakandor, Birthright, Ravenloft, etc.

    What I will do is first post the creature’s original stats and flavor text. Then, I will post a basic outline of the things I think it needs, and then I will give you an opportunity to suggest stats and ideas on how powers and abilities should work. Then, I will add more to it and we will continue to discuss it until I feel it’s done and time to move on to the next. As we work on these creatures, they will be posted in this thread, and after 10 conversions are complete they will be added to the Creature Catalog. You may comment on monsters already finished, of course.
    Last edited by Shade; Tuesday, 1st July, 2008 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    - Shade

    Support the Pathfinder RPG.

    Save the succubus, save the Wheel.

    "Hairy balls of the Gods!" - Korgoth of Barbaria

    "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you." - Batman, Batman Begins
    "You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
    "Yeah, I can fly." - Tony Stark, Iron Man
    "I have no plans to die today..." - Thor, Thor
    "We have a Hulk." - Tony Stark, The Avengers
    "Hulk...smash." - Captain America, The Avengers

    Inside my hands these petals browned;
    dried up falling to the ground,
    but it was already too late now.
    I pushed my fingers through the earth,
    returned this flower to the dirt;
    so it could live, I walked away now."

    Rise Against - "The Good Left Undone"

 

  • #2
    Monster Junkie
    Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

    Shade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    The Great Wheel
    Posts
    25,985

    ø Ignore Shade
    Silver Spider

    CLIMATE/TERRAIN: Ruins
    FREQUENCY: Very Rare
    ORGANIZATION: Solitary
    ACTIVITY CYCLE: Any
    DIET: None
    INTELLIGENCE: Animal (1)
    TREASURE: O, P
    ALIGNMENT: Neutral
    No. APPEARING: 1-4
    ARMOR CLASS: 2
    MOVEMENT: 15
    HIT DICE: 4+4
    THACO: 17
    No. OF ATTACKS: 3
    DAMAGE/ATTACKS: 1d6 (x2)/1d2
    SPECIAL ATTACKS: Bite
    SPECIAL DEFENSES: None
    MAGIC RESISTANCE: Nil
    SIZE: L 6' long
    MORALE: Champion (15)
    XP VALUE: 420

    Silver spiders appear as six-foot-long creatures apparently made of a highly reflective silvery metal. They have bulbous abdomens and thin, sleek legs. Charonti wizards created these creature ages ago, as non-lethal guardians and hunters. A few have survived to this day.

    Combat: Fearsome fighters, the silver spider attacks with its two sharp forelegs inflicting 1d6 vs. Man-sized or smaller targets and 1d8 vs. Large targets. They can direct each leg to strike a different target.

    This spider's bite is its strangest weapon. The spider bites first any foe that harms it, otherwise, biting spellcasters first. Its toxin causes any victim to save vs. Poison or his skin is transformed to the same silvery material as the spider. This process takes 1d10 rounds to complete. Victims encased with silver skin gain AC 2, but suffers an effect similar to paralysis. The victim's skin hardens and he can no longer move or breathe. While so encased, the character is preserved and needs no air or sustenance. Only blows that would hit AC 2 or forces that succeed against the victim's save vs. Breath Weapon will cause the character any harm.

    The magical skin lasts for 24 hours, after which the victim's skin returns to normal in the same amount of time it took to transform. The victim may be hungry and thirsty, but up to 1d8 points of damage are healed. The victim's hair and eyes retain the silvery sheen. No amount of washing removes the sheen and no illusions will cover the gleam. Forever are the victim's hair and eyes silver.

    The silver spider's webbing is also of the same silvery metal, and is as strong as steel. While it is not used in combat against its foes, the webbing is used to restrain victims who've been transformed. Binding helpless victims may be a natural instinctive reaction on the part of the spider or it may make the victim easier to move. More than one person has found himself bound in metal strands as strong as steel. Only a successful Bend Bars/Lift Gates roll allows a bound victim to escape.

    Habitat/Society: As a solitary, magical creature, silver spiders have no society.

    After a silver spider's bite has transformed its victim, he or she is wrapped securely in the spider's webbing and is taken to some designated storage area (a jail or holding facility) where Charonti authorities later handle the trespassers. With the Charonti of the ruins all dead, there's no one to interrogate the spider's prisoners, and as most beings possess not enough strength to escape, most perish from dehydration or starvation.

    Ecology: As artificial creatures, silver spiders have no place in the cycles of life and death in the natural world. Enterprising beings could, however, make good use of the spider and its byproducts if such can be gained safely:
    • The spider's webbing, if gathered carefully, can be wound and corded to form a remarkably thin, but amazingly strong wire. Such wire is useful in making jewelry. If enough web is used, several wires can be twisted into a small cable stronger than any rope.
    • The spider's weapon-like forelegs can be used as improvised weapons (with a -1 attack penalty due to the lack of a proper hilt). If a hilt is added, a foreleg functions as short sword. The forelegs of a silver spider qualify as silver weapons for determining damage against foes not harmed by normal weapons, such as lycanthropes.


    Originally appeared in Jakandor, Land of Legend (1998).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tsr9472.jpg  
    - Shade

    Support the Pathfinder RPG.

    Save the succubus, save the Wheel.

    "Hairy balls of the Gods!" - Korgoth of Barbaria

    "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you." - Batman, Batman Begins
    "You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
    "Yeah, I can fly." - Tony Stark, Iron Man
    "I have no plans to die today..." - Thor, Thor
    "We have a Hulk." - Tony Stark, The Avengers
    "Hulk...smash." - Captain America, The Avengers

    Inside my hands these petals browned;
    dried up falling to the ground,
    but it was already too late now.
    I pushed my fingers through the earth,
    returned this flower to the dirt;
    so it could live, I walked away now."

    Rise Against - "The Good Left Undone"

  • #3
    Sounds like the bite inflicts temporal stasis, with some flavor changes.
    Villain- A Haiku by Demiurge
    The heroes await.
    They have come this far only
    To die. Ha ha ha.

    Founder, the Dire Corby Appreciation Society; Author of the Pathfinder Chronicles Bestiary Project

  • #4
    Registered User
    Gallant (Lvl 3)

    Big Mac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    377
    Blog Entries
    4

    ø Ignore Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This thread continues the idea of “cooperative conversions”, converting a series of monsters from similar sources. For this thread, we will be focusing on monsters that first appeared in the assorted campaign settings not covered by other threads, such as Jakandor, Birthright, Ravenloft, etc.
    "etc" = ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Originally appeared in Jakandor, Land of Legend (1998).
    Do you think it is worth going through all the Jakandor monsters before doing another campaign setting? Or should we mix and match?

    I'll read the actual monster after this post and come back and make some comments.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Silver spiders appear as six-foot-long creatures apparently made of a highly reflective silvery metal. They have bulbous abdomens and thin, sleek legs. Charonti wizards created these creature ages ago, as non-lethal guardians and hunters. A few have survived to this day.
    This sounds like it is mostly flavor, but does the fact that they were created make them magical beasts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Combat: Fearsome fighters, the silver spider attacks with its two sharp forelegs inflicting 1d6 vs. Man-sized or smaller targets and 1d8 vs. Large targets. They can direct each leg to strike a different target.
    How should the sharp legs be described? Should they be put down as claws? The description below seems to suggest they work like sword blades.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This spider's bite is its strangest weapon. The spider bites first any foe that harms it, otherwise, biting spellcasters first. Its toxin causes any victim to save vs. Poison or his skin is transformed to the same silvery material as the spider. This process takes 1d10 rounds to complete. Victims encased with silver skin gain AC 2, but suffers an effect similar to paralysis. The victim's skin hardens and he can no longer move or breathe. While so encased, the character is preserved and needs no air or sustenance. Only blows that would hit AC 2 or forces that succeed against the victim's save vs. Breath Weapon will cause the character any harm.
    Demiurge is right about this. The bite works just like a magic spell.

    If the process is going to take 1d10 rounds should the AC change in stages?

    Would Magical Bite (Sp) be a suitable name, or does it need to be more descriptive?

    I'm not sure exactly how the silver spider can target a spellcaster first. Should they have some sort of Detect Spellcaster ability?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    The magical skin lasts for 24 hours, after which the victim's skin returns to normal in the same amount of time it took to transform. The victim may be hungry and thirsty, but up to 1d8 points of damage are healed. The victim's hair and eyes retain the silvery sheen. No amount of washing removes the sheen and no illusions will cover the gleam. Forever are the victim's hair and eyes silver.
    I think the "return" time is irrelivant. It isn't going to have any impact on combat (like the "transformation" time does). I've seen an ability that heals a creature that returns to its own form. I thought it was polymorph, but I can't find it at the moment.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    The silver spider's webbing is also of the same silvery metal, and is as strong as steel. While it is not used in combat against its foes, the webbing is used to restrain victims who've been transformed.
    I can't see anywhere where it says how the webbing is "used in combat".

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Binding helpless victims may be a natural instinctive reaction on the part of the spider or it may make the victim easier to move.
    I don't think that needs to be explained. I'd expect any spider to do that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    More than one person has found himself bound in metal strands as strong as steel. Only a successful Bend Bars/Lift Gates roll allows a bound victim to escape.
    That needs some crunchy bits. How about Steel Webbing (Ex) as a name?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Habitat/Society: As a solitary, magical creature, silver spiders have no society.
    This conflicts with the fact that 1-4 appear.

    Unless we say that they are sometimes found in small groups, but ignore each other and don't work as a team. Personally, I'd make it a solitary creature.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    After a silver spider's bite has transformed its victim, he or she is wrapped securely in the spider's webbing and is taken to some designated storage area (a jail or holding facility) where Charonti authorities later handle the trespassers. With the Charonti of the ruins all dead, there's no one to interrogate the spider's prisoners, and as most beings possess not enough strength to escape, most perish from dehydration or starvation.
    Does the spider do this? I think that a spider should wrap its victim in webbing and take them to a lair...unless they are a tame version.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Ecology: As artificial creatures, silver spiders have no place in the cycles of life and death in the natural world. Enterprising beings could, however, make good use of the spider and its byproducts if such can be gained safely:
    • They don't seem to eat. This sounds like they are changed into constructs.

      Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    • The spider's webbing, if gathered carefully, can be wound and corded to form a remarkably thin, but amazingly strong wire. Such wire is useful in making jewelry. If enough web is used, several wires can be twisted into a small cable stronger than any rope.
    Should this be folded into treasure? Or added to the information about rescuing a person who has been tied in webbing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
  • The spider's weapon-like forelegs can be used as improvised weapons (with a -1 attack penalty due to the lack of a proper hilt). If a hilt is added, a foreleg functions as short sword. The forelegs of a silver spider qualify as silver weapons for determining damage against foes not harmed by normal weapons, such as lycanthropes.
  • Lucky you did that silver silatic for me recently:
    "A silver silatic's natural attacks are treated as silver weapons for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction."

    BTW: I couldn't see a silver spider on that cover shot, so I looked up a larger shot of Jakandor, Land of Legend
    Last edited by Big Mac; Wednesday, 2nd July, 2008 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    David "Big Mac" Shepheard
    Moderator - The Spelljammer Image Group
    Moderator - The Piazza (Spelljammer forum)
    Administrator - Spelljammer Wiki
    Visit my Yahoo links for d20 System/D&D, Birthright, Dark Sun, Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Mystara, Planescape, Ravenloft and Spelljammer


    SPELLJAMMER for D&D 3e: The official conversions of Spelljammer from AD&D 2e to D&D 3e rules.
    Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project: An unofficial project to assist the official conversion and do more.

  • #5
    Member SILVER DEFENDER
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

    freyar's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Posts
    18,001
    I Defended The Walls!

    ø Ignore freyar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
    This sounds like it is mostly flavor, but does the fact that they were created make them magical beasts?
    That, or constructs, like you also mentioned. I'm leaning toward magical beasts. Once we pick a type, should we get down to abilities?

    How should the sharp legs be described? Should they be put down as claws? The description below seems to suggest they work like sword blades.
    I think claws will work, with the fact that they count as silver for overcoming DR. (Like the silatic; this is a somewhat common ability.)

    Demiurge is right about this. The bite works just like a magic spell.

    If the process is going to take 1d10 rounds should the AC change in stages?

    Would Magical Bite (Sp) be a suitable name, or does it need to be more descriptive?
    One or two of the other spider-creatures we converted maybe last fall also had a slow paralysis type of poison. Maybe I'll look for that. Should victims just gain +8 natural armor? (And be paralyzed, of course.)
    I'm not sure exactly how the silver spider can target a spellcaster first. Should they have some sort of Detect Spellcaster ability?
    Good point, as they're not really smart enough to know the difference between fighting and casting.
    I think the "return" time is irrelivant. It isn't going to have any impact on combat (like the "transformation" time does). I've seen an ability that heals a creature that returns to its own form. I thought it was polymorph, but I can't find it at the moment.
    Agreed.

    I can't see anywhere where it says how the webbing is "used in combat".
    ...
    That needs some crunchy bits. How about Steel Webbing (Ex) as a name?
    Probably like the web spell or more likely like the monstrous spider's web ability with boosted DCs for Escape Artist and especially the Str check.

  • #6
    Monster Junkie
    Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

    Shade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    The Great Wheel
    Posts
    25,985

    ø Ignore Shade
    Quote Originally Posted by demiurge1138 View Post
    Sounds like the bite inflicts temporal stasis, with some flavor changes.
    Agreed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
    "etc" = ?
    If it's from a specific campaign setting, and it doesn't have another thread, it's fair game.

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
    Do you think it is worth going through all the Jakandor monsters before doing another campaign setting? Or should we mix and match?
    No preference, really. I already asked Echohawk for the stats (and received them) for the remaining Jakandor monsters, so they'll probably be tackled among the first.

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
    This sounds like it is mostly flavor, but does the fact that they were created make them magical beasts?
    It screams "magical beast" to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
    How should the sharp legs be described? Should they be put down as claws? The description below seems to suggest they work like sword blades.
    The similar sword spider simply lists "legs" on the attack lines.

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
    If the process is going to take 1d10 rounds should the AC change in stages?
    Possibly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
    Would Magical Bite (Sp) be a suitable name, or does it need to be more descriptive?
    I'd prefer something more descriptive.

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
    I'm not sure exactly how the silver spider can target a spellcaster first. Should they have some sort of Detect Spellcaster ability?
    Possibly, or simply observe active spellcasting.

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
    Webbing stuff
    Let's revisit the webbing later.

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
    This conflicts with the fact that 1-4 appear.

    Unless we say that they are sometimes found in small groups, but ignore each other and don't work as a team. Personally, I'd make it a solitary creature.
    When this occurs (as it often does), I generally suggest we go with Solitary or group.

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
    They don't seem to eat. This sounds like they are changed into constructs.
    Not necessarily. We'll just need to note it in the text.


    Quote Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
    BTW: I couldn't see a silver spider on that cover shot, so I looked up a larger shot of Jakandor, Land of Legend
    I just posted the cover to avoid the automatic threadmerging feature. Adding an attachments is a way to trick it. Sorry for the confusion.

    Quote Originally Posted by freyar View Post
    That, or constructs, like you also mentioned. I'm leaning toward magical beasts. Once we pick a type, should we get down to abilities?
    Absolutely!

    First we'll need to decide on Medium or Large. It says L (6') so it could go either way. I vote for Large.

    Ability scores of similar creatures:

    Phase Spider (L): Str 17, Dex 17, Con 16, Int 7, Wis 13, Cha 10
    Sword Spider (L): Str 18, Dex 10, Con 14, Int -, Wis 11, Cha 3
    Medium Monstrous Spider: Str 11, Dex 17, Con 12, Int —, Wis 10, Cha 2
    Large Monstrous Spider: Str 15, Dex 17, Con 12, Int —, Wis 10, Cha 2
    Medium Argent Spider: Str 13, Dex 16, Con 14, Int —, Wis 10, Cha 6
    Large Argent Spider: Str 21, Dex 14, Con 14, Int —, Wis 10, Cha 6
    Last edited by Shade; Wednesday, 2nd July, 2008 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    - Shade

    Support the Pathfinder RPG.

    Save the succubus, save the Wheel.

    "Hairy balls of the Gods!" - Korgoth of Barbaria

    "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you." - Batman, Batman Begins
    "You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
    "Yeah, I can fly." - Tony Stark, Iron Man
    "I have no plans to die today..." - Thor, Thor
    "We have a Hulk." - Tony Stark, The Avengers
    "Hulk...smash." - Captain America, The Avengers

    Inside my hands these petals browned;
    dried up falling to the ground,
    but it was already too late now.
    I pushed my fingers through the earth,
    returned this flower to the dirt;
    so it could live, I walked away now."

    Rise Against - "The Good Left Undone"

  • #7
    Agreed to Large Magical Beast. The ability scores should be closer to a phase spider than a sword spider, physically; these guys have a good AC and are bloody fast, so I think a good Dex makes sense.
    Villain- A Haiku by Demiurge
    The heroes await.
    They have come this far only
    To die. Ha ha ha.

    Founder, the Dire Corby Appreciation Society; Author of the Pathfinder Chronicles Bestiary Project

  • #8
    Member SILVER DEFENDER
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

    freyar's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Posts
    18,001
    I Defended The Walls!

    ø Ignore freyar
    Hmm, what about Str 16, Dex 17, Con 16, Int 1, Wis 13, Cha 10? Not quite as strong as the phase spider, maybe.

    Shade, are these really smart enough to understand when someone's spellcasting? I can understand that constructs have that "programmed in" but don't get it here.

  • #9
    Monster Junkie
    Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

    Shade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    The Great Wheel
    Posts
    25,985

    ø Ignore Shade
    Added to Homebrews.

    Good point on the low intellect. We can give them a special detect ability, then.
    - Shade

    Support the Pathfinder RPG.

    Save the succubus, save the Wheel.

    "Hairy balls of the Gods!" - Korgoth of Barbaria

    "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you." - Batman, Batman Begins
    "You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
    "Yeah, I can fly." - Tony Stark, Iron Man
    "I have no plans to die today..." - Thor, Thor
    "We have a Hulk." - Tony Stark, The Avengers
    "Hulk...smash." - Captain America, The Avengers

    Inside my hands these petals browned;
    dried up falling to the ground,
    but it was already too late now.
    I pushed my fingers through the earth,
    returned this flower to the dirt;
    so it could live, I walked away now."

    Rise Against - "The Good Left Undone"

  • #10
    Arcane sight, perhaps?
    Villain- A Haiku by Demiurge
    The heroes await.
    They have come this far only
    To die. Ha ha ha.

    Founder, the Dire Corby Appreciation Society; Author of the Pathfinder Chronicles Bestiary Project

  • Closed Thread
    Page 1 of 103 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 101 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Converting Al-Qadim creatures
      By Shade in forum General Monster Talk
      Replies: 729
      Last Post: Friday, 18th April, 2014, 09:39 PM
    2. Converting Psionic Creatures
      By Shade in forum General Monster Talk
      Replies: 1333
      Last Post: Sunday, 3rd November, 2013, 08:47 PM
    3. Converting Creatures from Other Campaign Settings
      By Shade in forum General Monster Talk
      Replies: 657
      Last Post: Saturday, 8th June, 2013, 01:49 PM
    4. Converting Adventures/Settings to Hero
      By Mercule in forum RPGs & Tabletop Gaming Discussion
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: Tuesday, 22nd May, 2007, 03:35 PM
    5. Help with converting X4 creatures
      By Sixten in forum Monster Homebrews
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: Monday, 8th July, 2002, 09:46 PM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •