Converting Creatures from Other Campaign Settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleon

Legend
Rather than add extra complications to this already-loaded creature, I'd recommend we just omit that bit.

The Wis damage alone makes 'em deadlier than a will-o'-wisp, though. I'm sure the wisp is over-CR'ed, but I'm not comfortable dropping these things below 'em.

I'm OK with incorporeal and CR6.

Persons and objects capable of viewing invisible creatures see the death shade as a gray mist which centers on the host’s eyes
Sure...but what? ;)

How about a Spot or Sense Motive check to detect when one's merged with a host?

e.g.:

Merge with Host (Su): Once per round, a death shade can merge with a corporeal creature. If the creature succeeds on a DC 20 Will save, the death shade is expelled and cannot attempt to merge with that creature for 24 hours. Protection from evil, magic circle versus evil, and similar magic prevent the death shade from merging with a protected host. On a failed save, the creature becomes the death shade's host and may be victimized by the death shade's control rage ability. The save DC is Charisma-based.

The death shade appears as a near-invisible gray mist which centers on the host's eyes, other creatures can detect the death shade's presence in a host with a DC40? Spot or Sense Motive check, the check is DC20? if the observer can see invisible. A death shade's host has a moderate evil aura when examined with the detect evil spell. A death shade can be expelled by the host's death or by successful use of a dispel evil, dismissal, or banishment spell against the death shade.

Shade

Monster Junkie
How about DC 20 and 30? A DC 30 will normally let you spot an invisible creature who is holding still, while a DC 40 check can spot an invisible inanimate object, an unliving creature holding still, or a completely immobile creature.

Cleon

Legend
How about DC 20 and 30? A DC 30 will normally let you spot an invisible creature who is holding still, while a DC 40 check can spot an invisible inanimate object, an unliving creature holding still, or a completely immobile creature.

I was liking the eye-mist being "near-invisible" rather than actually invisible, so don't mind the lower DC 30.

How about DC15 for the see invisibility assisted check, since the original description suggests it's pretty obvious to such creatures?

Cleon

Legend
I like that. Updated.

Does anything need fixing?

The economy?

While you're working on that, the Host Dependent wording of "A death shade dies can only survive outside a host for a number of rounds equal to half its Constitution" is awry.

How about:

Host Dependent: A death shade can not survive long without a host. It will die unless it can merge with a new host within a number of rounds equal to half its Constitution.

I'm also wondering about adding "Any land and wildspace" for the environment, since the original was "any (space or terrestrial)".

Shade

Monster Junkie
The economy?

If only I could. :.-(

While you're working on that, the Host Dependent wording of "A death shade dies can only survive outside a host for a number of rounds equal to half its Constitution" is awry.

How about:

Host Dependent: A death shade can not survive long without a host. It will die unless it can merge with a new host within a number of rounds equal to half its Constitution.

Looks good.

I'm also wondering about adding "Any land and wildspace" for the environment, since the original was "any (space or terrestrial)".

I'd rather put in an "In Spelljammer" underbar.

Updated. Finished?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads