Converting Creatures from Other Campaign Settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Want to start by modifying the regular bloodthorn (either CC or Fiend Folio version)?

Sure! Both those versions are mindless, but this was Semi- (2-4). Do we want to make this one mindless, or retain the semi-intelligence?

Big Mac

Explorer
Sure! Both those versions are mindless, but this was Semi- (2-4). Do we want to make this one mindless, or retain the semi-intelligence?

Hmm. Was the old school version of the other bloodthorn mindless or semi-intelligence? If one drops down, I can understand the other dropping down.

But if there was originally an intelligence divide between the two bloodthorn types then maybe that should continue. (Maybe this plant is meant to be the Steven Hawking of the bloodthorn world! :p )

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'm with Big Mac here; it really depends on the older version of the regular bloodthorn. (Echohawk, can you help us out here?)

For reference, stats:
CC bloodthorn: 5HD, CR 5; Str 14, Dex 12, Con 15, Int ---, Wis 11, Cha 9
FF bloodthorn: 3HD, CR 3; Str 20, Dex 17, Con 19, Int ---, Wis 12, Cha 2

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
I'm with Big Mac here; it really depends on the older version of the regular bloodthorn. (Echohawk, can you help us out here?)

Bloodthorn
Monster Manual II: Intelligence = Non-
Planescape Monstrous Compendium Appendix II: Intelligence = Semi- (2-4)
Monstrous Compendium Annual Volume Two: Intelligence = Non (0)

Big Mac

Explorer
Bloodthorn
Monster Manual II: Intelligence = Non-
Planescape Monstrous Compendium Appendix II: Intelligence = Semi- (2-4)
Monstrous Compendium Annual Volume Two: Intelligence = Non (0)

Weird. :erm:

I suppose that the Jakandor bloodthorn might have been taken from Planescape. The Mighty Grubbmeister (Jeff Grubb) worked on both, so he might have copied it over.

Is there anything in the blurb of the Planescape version to indicate why they bumped up the intellegence over the MC Annual Volume Two version? Is it "awakened" for example?

If we can find a valid reason for that we could use the same justification here and keep the stats up. If the stats were just shuffled for no reason, we could push this one back down to "standardise" the beastie.

BTW: I don't see a conversion of the Planescape bloodthorn in your index. Seeing as they have the same root, do you think it is worth churning that one out when we finish this creature?

Maybe we could push that one to the head of the queue in the Converting Planescape monsters thread (and do it as soon as the giant sea horse thingy is done).

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
There doesn't appear to be too much in common between the MMII, MCA2 and Planescape versions of the bloodthorn. It almost seems as if the Planescape and MCA2 versions were each developed separately, based on the original in the MMII.

However, Jakandor's arid bloodthorn is clearly based on the Planescape version. It shares much of the descriptive text, for one thing. It may indeed make sense to develop updates of the Planescape and Jakandor versions of the bloodthorn at the same time.

Last edited:

freyar

Is the MMII bloodthorn also extraplanar? The one in the 3e FF is, so I wonder if it's supposed to be the Planescape one.

freyar

Hmm, so we're not actually getting much guidance on how intelligent to make this plant. I'm leaning toward Int 2 just because, but I could be persuaded either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads