Civilization Revolutions

Felon

First Post
I played the demo version of this game twice, and enjoyed it right up until the demo's end both times. Never played a Civ game before, so I can't compare it to its predecessors, but this was pretty great.

Anyone know whether or not previous games would let you synchronize attacks with different units? I kept trying to dogpile legions and catapults and horsemen on the Zulus, only to have the units attack individually and inflict virtually no casualties. I suppose toppling an enemy civilization's captial isn't intended to be easy, but the catapults were destroyed almost instantly. I figure there was something I was missing.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Except in armies (Civ III and IV), attacks have always been serial as far as I recall. I think their even semi serial in armies.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Anyone know whether or not previous games would let you synchronize attacks with different units? I kept trying to dogpile legions and catapults and horsemen on the Zulus, only to have the units attack individually and inflict virtually no casualties. I suppose toppling an enemy civilization's captial isn't intended to be easy, but the catapults were destroyed almost instantly. I figure there was something I was missing.

Cities typically give units in them a defensive bonus based on fortifications or culture.

What you do with the catapults is bombard the city and reduce the defenses. Once you get the city's defenses down, then you send in the troops. Whenever possible, site your catapults and legionnaires on defensive terrain like forests and hills; while the catapults won't get the defensive bonus, the legionnaires will, and they'll get attacked first.

Brad

babomb

First Post

There's no way to do that, exactly.

You can combine three units of the same type into an army (put them all in the same square and press Y), where at least those three units in the army will attack at the same time. And as a previous poster mentioned, putting your units on hills or forest will grant them a bonus.

Other options for helping your units win are to build barracks or have 'em win enough easy fights that they get upgraded. Veteran units get a 50% bonus, and elite units gain special abilities, one possibility of which is +50% to attack cities. You could also try using a spy to destroy the city walls.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
There's no way to do that, exactly.

You can combine three units of the same type into an army (put them all in the same square and press Y), where at least those three units in the army will attack at the same time. And as a previous poster mentioned, putting your units on hills or forest will grant them a bonus.

Other options for helping your units win are to build barracks or have 'em win enough easy fights that they get upgraded. Veteran units get a 50% bonus, and elite units gain special abilities, one possibility of which is +50% to attack cities. You could also try using a spy to destroy the city walls.

Ah, that's from Civ 2 or 3.

Barracks in this one give XP, which you get for winning fights. It's still a very, very good idea to build barracks. I had one unit in my last game get up to 50xp and level like 10 or so before it went down.

Brad

Felon

First Post
Cities typically give units in them a defensive bonus based on fortifications or culture.

What you do with the catapults is bombard the city and reduce the defenses. Once you get the city's defenses down, then you send in the troops. Whenever possible, site your catapults and legionnaires on defensive terrain like forests and hills; while the catapults won't get the defensive bonus, the legionnaires will, and they'll get attacked first.
OK, but the catapults attack by moving into the enemy territory just like other units, right?

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
OK, but the catapults attack by moving into the enemy territory just like other units, right?

I know in Civ IV they have a "Bombard" option. They can also attack via the normal method, and inflict collateral damage, but at least take the defensive bonus down first via bombardment. Their lack of strength means they'll take fearsome damage and often go down.

Brad

hong

WotC's bitch
I'm pretty sure the bombard option is only for reducing city defenses. If you want to damage units, you have to attack as normal.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
I'm pretty sure the bombard option is only for reducing city defenses. If you want to damage units, you have to attack as normal.
Unless you go suicide catapulting.

After you bombed down the cultural defence with your catapults (or whatever siege units you use), you attack with at least four of them to deal heaps of collateral damage to the defenders.

You usually lose the catapults, but your attacks then have a field day with the defenders.

Cheers, LT.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases