races for a mythic setting

Shadowdragon

Explorer
I'm making up a setting based on classical mythologies, in particular the celtic, greek, and egyptian mythologies. I'm a little stumped on what player races to include. I don't want any humans, and I want a different main player race for each mythology. At first I was thinking of using traditional fantasy races (elves, dwarves, halflings, etc) but I'd like to create new player races, ones more appropriate for the mythologies. I'm playing with the idea of making egyptians a race of animal-headed humanoids, maybe centaur as the greeks, and I don't know what the celts would be. Anyone have any suggestions for player races appropriate for celtic, egyptian, and greek mythologies?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Greek - halflings refluffed as Fauns/Satyrs (ie hooves, two small horns and bragging rights for the other), centaurs work too

Egyptian - Anubi (Dogmen), Sebeki (Lizardmen), Seth (Dragonborn) and Heru (hawkmen)

Celtic - the little people, shapechangers and fairyfolk in general - so gnomish leprehcauns, spriggans, brownies and pukka and ogres

Shadowdragon

Explorer
Although I like the idea of the animal-headed egyptians I'd like to keep it generic, so no animal type is specifically linked to a particular deity. There is one thing I can't figure out though. Some of the egyptian dieties don't have animal heads. How can I explain that when all egyptians are animal-headed humanoids and there is no such thing as humans.

MrApothecary

First Post
There is one thing I can't figure out though. Some of the egyptian dieties don't have animal heads. How can I explain that when all egyptians are animal-headed humanoids and there is no such thing as humans.

Who says Gods have to look like anything? Look at Hextor. What mortal race is he based off of? He isn't.

Shadowdragon

Explorer
Otherworld faeries or fomorians.

On one hand the celts were known as a very large, muscular people, so having them as a race of ogres/giants would fit. On the other hand the Tuatha De Danaan (the celtic pantheon) were enemies of the ogre/giant races in celtic myth. I don't think it would be a good idea to make the celts at war with their own gods. Maybe I could just ignore all that stuff and just make the celts an ogre/giant race.

Greek - halflings refluffed as Fauns/Satyrs (ie hooves, two small horns and bragging rights for the other), centaurs work too

I just can't see halflings/satyr working as, say, spartans. Great, now I have an image in my head of a Frodo/Leonidas hybrid.

Silvercat Moonpaw

Adventurer
On one hand the celts were known as a very large, muscular people, so having them as a race of ogres/giants would fit. On the other hand the Tuatha De Danaan (the celtic pantheon) were enemies of the ogre/giant races in celtic myth. I don't think it would be a good idea to make the celts at war with their own gods. Maybe I could just ignore all that stuff and just make the celts an ogre/giant race.
Maybe he could make each culture a race that is completely the opposite of what they were (or at least thought they were):
The celts were big, burly people who liked to beat each other up. Make them delicate fairy people.
The Greek were "civilized" intellectuals. Make them uncouth satyrs or centaurs.

The problem is Egyptians, since they seem to lack any sort of "other humans" in their mythology.

Silvercat Moonpaw

Adventurer
Actually, the Egyptian god Bes is depicted as a (hairless) dwarf. He's even considered a defender.
I meant other than the gods. Most other mythologies I can think of have either some form of spirit or some other race "over there". The egyptians have gods and maybe a few monsters, and that seems to be it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases