Cleric and Paladin - What's the Difference?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Paladin: he's a soldier. He's taken only some of the vows and cannot preach, or administer sacraments. He's a man of faith, but not a priest. Basically, it's modeled after the Teutonic Knight, or the Templar Knight. They took only some of the vows of the monastic orders, and were militant orders.

see I'd see this as a better definition of the DnD cleric ie -
The DnD Cleric is a Temple Knight, an ordained member of a holy order dedicated to defending the Faith

A Paladin is the chosen champion of the Diety inspired by divine might to manifest the Divine Law

The difference then is one of inspiration and mandate - the Cleric is mandated by the Church/Faith and is part of the system

The Paladin (like the Prophet) is mandated directly by the Diety

The Priest (who performs the sacraments and ministers to the faithful) is probably an Expert, maybe an Adept or a Bard...

Last edited:

The Lost Muse

First Post
THe paladin I'm currently playing is much more of an uplift the meek, feed the hungry, clothe the naked, care for the sick, kind of guy than the cleric in the party. I'm playing him up as humble and devout.

pawsplay

Hero
Since Clerics now bring the smack down, too, the differences are primarily in terms of roles rather than occupations. Being a paladin or cleric is no longer a specific cultural role, but a power role.

Wolfwood2

Explorer
Since Clerics now bring the smack down, too, the differences are primarily in terms of roles rather than occupations. Being a paladin or cleric is no longer a specific cultural role, but a power role.

Right. There's no reason a paladin and a cleric couldn't have identical roles in a game world.

Now there is a bit more of a push towards clerics as "bookish", seeing as how they get ritual casting for free.

Mercule

Adventurer
Depends on the edition. In 1e, the cleric was the warrior arm of the church and represented them in the field. Their inspiration was explicitly drawn from Knight Templar and their ilk. Paladins were the knights in shining armor whose virtue was such that God favored them. Despite the officially polytheistic assumed setting, the archetypes were still drawn from Medieval Christendom.

In 2e, the cleric attempted to take a desk job and the paladin had to pick up the slack (which he did poorly, IMO). The clerical mechanics reflected polytheism much, much better, but could be unbalanced in practical game play (i.e. it was possible to build both a cleric who wasn't jack as an adventurer and one who was still a Templar).

In 3e, neither class really figured out which mold they want to fit. It was at least implied that paladins were semi-ordained holy warriors. But, clerics were still battle-ready priests who easily outclassed any purely mystically focused breathren.

I haven't played enough 4e to tell you for sure, but it seems the 3e schizophrenia has been carried over somewhat. It seems better, but still present. This is probably because of the explicit focus on combat ability, but I'd prefer the cleric to straddle the leader/controller line more than the leader/defender one. Maybe we'll get a "priest" class later that does just that.

On a similar note, I could see the favored soul reappearing as divine striker. I wouldn't expect wings (which is a good thing IMO). Rather, I'd expect it to be the answer to the question "What would a warlock look like if they made a pact with a god or angel?"

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
In my last campaign Clerics were defined most by their relationship to their temple hierarchy, while Paladins were defined most by a direct relationship ("calling") from their god.

I would agree that the differentiation between them has often been a little wonky at times !

Snoweel

First Post
In the 3e version of my homebrew Paladins were the servants of the only good (but dead) deity in my cosmology.

But I'm trying to embrace the 4e implied setting.

Remove ads