What is a "Creative Commons" license? Does it help a 4e early release?

Sigurd

First Post
The CC license allows reuse and modification of a work without further author consent. Often this is limited to non commercial works depending on the original stipulations.

Its a great license for a work you want to set free but I think it poses a number of problems for a commercially published product.

For one thing you would have to be very sure you were not asserting rights over material belonging to other people. CC is more generous than any of the big commercial licenses.

I think its a great license for giving away original work\ideas for other GM's but you have to be very careful to make sure you have the right to give it away in the first place.

I am not a lawyer.

If you released a story under Creative Commons with a wizard named 'Gandalf'' that would likely be a bad idea. Someone could use your Gandalf and draw you into a dispute with Tolkien Enterprises. They might do something much more abusive and claim they received the rights to do so from you.

The game licenses serve the issuing publishers by structuring use more and imposing tighter clearer controls than they might receive under copyright law. Using Creative Commons in combination with those licenses would be tricky.

Sigurd

HalWhitewyrm

First Post
CC has no effect on GSL product release. Roger released his free product because the GSL allows GSL-covered products to be released prior to Oct. 1 if they are free.

Remove ads