Help out a new DM set up a scenario

amoebob

First Post
Hi ENWORLD denizens. I'm a relatively new DM and I was looking for a cool way to give a boon (spell) to some characters (PCs).
But first, has anyone ever watched the movie "The Golden Voyage of Sinbad"? There is a scene in that movie I want to replicate.
In it, Sinbad and crew go to this ancient temple to speak with an oracle.
A hooded acolyte performs an incantaion in front of a well and up comes a firey demonic (?) face. It speaks in riddles and seemingly gives them the information they require before disappearing (all the while they are being spied upon by a small gargoyle-like construct).
The vision retreats down the well and the acolyte mysteriously turns to dust (?) in his robes. Its a cool scene.

I need to send a group of PCs to an oracle so they can resurrect their friend (they are only 3rd level). When they kill their latest foe, I will have them find a trio of spells. One which raises dead (to undead), another to capture soul, but the 3rd binding spell that would bind the spirit and fully restore the body is either missing or damages, thus they have to go to this oracle (their buddy is raised as an undead and follows them much like Spock in Star Trek's "Spock's Brain").

Question: What creature would you use as the demonic oracle entity.
I was thinking an Efreeti (demonic looking genie).
What other obstacles could I throw their way. Why would the Efreeti answer their question? Is it bound in some way?

Any ideas? I might have them go on a side quest for the Efreeti so that they can earn their boon.

Thanks

Amoebob

Soel

First Post
Well, an efreet/djinn would work just fine. Note that you don't actually have to have stats for this thing (unless your players are the type to randomly attack your npcs!) You could even go for something different like a repentant Devourer, guilty for its past transgressions, willing to aid others in regaining their lost companions.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases