Edition Wars !?!?

LeStryfe79

First Post
By this time tomorrow, the ban on "edition wars" should have been lifted. I'm pretty neutral on this, because I've played 'em all, and believe each edition has a unique set of pros and cons. I certainly welcome the ability to discuss such matters, and will enjoy the heated debates. Personally, I feel that these topics deserve their own category at ENworld. Otherwise, they can tend to clog up the other threads. This topic of favorite edition and why is an important one. Hopefully, we can strive to see each other's point of view in an effort to dissect what makes for a good RPG.

RFisher

Explorer
This topic of favorite edition and why is an important one.

I agree. It was people online talking about what they liked about one edition and didn’t like about another that helped me to figure out why I was frustrated with one edition and guided me to recognizing an edition I’d previously dismissed as my current favorite.

Not only that, but it has helped me enjoy all editions more. And, since I’m someone who firmly believes the DM should be given the right to pick the rules, it’s important for me to know how to best enjoy the current DM’s choice.

Particle_Man

Explorer
Keeping it positive, and speaking from what I have played:

Moldvay/Cook B/X D&D. ReadySetGO! Fast chargen. You play now! Get a good DM and you can just go, with little need for understanding what is going on. It hooked me in as a kid and I would gladly play it today.

1st ed AD&D. DM's Tinkertoy. It greatly encouraged houserules, because it had so many little subsystems for so many things. A good DM would make this puppy sing!

2nd ed AD&D. A Whole New World(s)...A variety of interesting and well-described settings. Showed that you could go well beyond the normal pseudo-medieval. I think this one encouraged DM world-building too (partly by example, and partly by DM's wanting to put cool feature from setting A into setting B), in the way that 1st ed encouraged DM house-ruling.

3e D&D. The Referee. A lot more codification of the rules. Now you can have a fair and good game even with a relatively inexperienced DM. A plethora of codified choices. Encouraged "shopping for super-powers" to quote someone who I have forgotten the name of (Robin Laws, maybe?). This hooked a lot of players and DMs and helps those that like customization.

4th ed. The Game's the Thing. Wayyyy more focused on the pulse-pounding battle itself! Encourages group tactics. Best DM advice book D&D has yet produced.

The negatives can be handled by a competant DM. Some are merely the lack of certain good features in other games. 3rd ed char gen just takes longer than B/X chargen and for those that want faster chargen that will be an issue. Some of the options of 3rd ed chargen are not group-friendly (Frenzied Berserker gets autobanned in all my 3e games). 1st and 2nd ed. was hard on non-rogue demi-humans at high levels, and 3rd ed was hard for some DMs to run at high levels. B/X D&D offered less mechanical choices unless the DM was willing to get mechanically creative. Psionics really didn't get balanced until 3.5, and don't exist yet in 4e. I imagine 4th ed will have some issues too, though it is too new for me to really say yet. Mainly the 4e beef I hear is that some popular choices are not there yet, to which I counsel...patience! :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases