Paragon Revision Discussion Thread

Howdy Ryfte! :)

Ryfte said:
Hmmm... I've got a lvl 20 dedicated thrower build that gets 126 attacks per round... if I'm remembering the build correctly. I've never actually played it... it was just an exercise in how I could break the system. It included quick draw *shrug*

These sorts of exercises are always very useful for showing designers problems in the system.

I wonder, have you spotted such loopholes in 4th Edition yet?

Evilmonkeygod

First Post
Hmmm... I've got a lvl 20 dedicated thrower build that gets 126 attacks per round... if I'm remembering the build correctly. I've never actually played it... it was just an exercise in how I could break the system. It included quick draw *shrug*

How in all nine layers of hell did you pull off 126 attacks per round???

Hiya matey! :)

Evilmonkeygod said:
How in all nine layers of hell did you pull off 126 attacks per round???

I'm interested in this too. I have seen a lot of crazy builds in my time (usually over at the WotC forums) and they generally have found some sort of loophole in the system that no sane DM would allow.

dante58701

Banned
Banned
Update w/variants included for psionic campaigns.

Paragon (Perfect One)

Among the population of every kind of creature are some specimens that are its weakest, worst representatives. Likewise, every population has it's paragons: the strongest, smartest, luckiest, and most powerful of the species. Paragons may represent the mythical First Creature, created in it's perfect form by some creator deity, or perhaps the evolutionary endpoint of a race after thousands of years of steady improvement. Sometimes, paragons just spring up accidentally, when all the factors are right.

Creating a Paragon

“Paragon” is a template that can be added to any creature (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

The paragon uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Size and Type: Animals or vermin with this template become magical beasts, but otherwise the creature type is unchanged. Size is unchanged.

Hit Dice: A paragon uses d20's for Hit Dice and always has maximum hit points per die.

Speed: All movement speeds are tripled.

Armor Class: A paragon retains the armor bonuses of the base creature and acquires the following.

- Deflection Bonus (Ex): A paragon gains a deflection bonus equal to it's Charisma modifier.

- Luck Bonus (Ex): A paragon gains a +30 luck bonus to it's armor class (see Fortuity).

Special Attacks: A paragon retains all the special attacks of the base creature and gains those described below. Save DCs are 10 + 1/2 the paragon's Hit Dice/Level + the paragon's Charisma modifier + 30 (see Fortuity), unless noted otherwise.

- Spell-Like Abilities (Sp): At will - limited wish. Caster Level equals Hit Dice/Level + 30 (see Fortuity).

Special Qualities: A paragon retains all the special qualities of the base creature and also those described below.

- Damage Reduction (Ex): A paragon gains damage reduction 75/cursed and epic.

- Fast Healing (Ex): A paragon gains fast healing 50.

- Fortuity (Ex): A paragon adds a +30 luck bonus to: armor class; attack rolls; checks (ability checks, caster level checks, skill checks, turning checks); damage rolls; difficulty class (for any special abilities, spell-like abilities, spells); initiative; saving throws; spell resistance; and turn resistance (if applicable).

- Inner Eye (Ex): A paragon can bend fate to it's will. A paragon always gains the best dice rolls in any given situation. However, a natural '20' is not an automatic success when using this ability.

- Resistances (Ex): A paragon gains resistance to cold 50 and fire 50.

- Spell Resistance (Su): A paragon gains spell resistance equal to 10 + Hit Dice/Level + 30 (see Fortuity).

Saves: A paragon gains a +30 luck bonus on all its saving throws (see Fortuity).

Abilities: A paragon gains a +37 bonus to all ability scores.

Skills: A paragon gains a +30 luck bonus on all it's skill checks (see Fortuity).

- Maven (Ex): A paragon has mastered many skills. A paragon gains maximum ranks in all it's class skills and half it's maximum in all cross class skills.

Feats: A paragon gains 5 bonus feats.

Organization: Any, usually same as the base creature.

Challenge Rating: Same as the base creature +26.

Treasure: Double standard.

Alignment: Any, usually same as the base creature.

Level Adjustment: Same as the base creature +40.

Psionic Paragon (For use in High Psionics campaigns.)

Creating a Psionic Paragon

“Psionic Paragon” is a template that can be added to any paragon (referred to hereafter as the base paragon).

The psionic paragon uses all the base paragon's statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Size and Type: Animals or vermin with this template become psionic beasts (magical beasts), but otherwise the creature type is unchanged. A psionic paragon gains the psionic subtype.

Special Attacks: A psionic paragon gains bend reality, rather than limited wish.

- Psi-Like Abilities (Ps): At will - bend reality. Caster Level equals Hit Dice/Level + 30 (see Fortuity).

Special Qualities: A psionic paragon gains power resistance rather than power resistance. Additionally, errata for it's Fortuity ability is described below.

- Power Resistance (Su): A psionic paragon gains power resistance equal to 10 + Hit Dice/Level + 30 (see Fortuity).

Challenge Rating: Same as the base paragon.

Level Adjustment: Same as the base paragon.

Errata for it's Fortuity ability is described below.

- Fortuity (Ex): A psionic paragon adds a +30 luck bonus to: armor class; attack rolls; checks (ability checks, manifester level checks, skill checks); damage rolls; difficulty class (for any psi-like abilities, psionics, special abilities); initiative; power resistance; saving throws; and turn resistance (if applicable).

True Paragon (For use in campaigns with magic and psionics.)

Creating a True Paragon

“True Paragon” is a template that can be added to any paragon (referred to hereafter as the base paragon).

The true paragon uses all the base paragon's statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Size and Type: Animals or vermin with this template become psionic beasts (magical beasts), but otherwise the creature type is unchanged. A true paragon gains the psionic subtype.

Special Attacks: A true paragon retains all the special attacks of the base paragon and gains those described below.

- Psi-Like Abilities (Ps): At will - bend reality. Caster Level equals Hit Dice/Level + 30 (see Fortuity).

Special Qualities: A true paragon retains all the special qualities of the base paragon and gains those described below.

- Power Resistance (Su): A true paragon gains power resistance equal to 10 + Hit Dice/Level + 30 (see Fortuity).

Challenge Rating: Same as the base paragon.

Level Adjustment: Same as the base paragon.

Errata for it's Fortuity ability is described below.

- Fortuity (Ex): A true paragon adds a +30 luck bonus to: armor class; attack rolls; checks (ability checks, caster level checks, manifester level checks, skill checks, turning checks); damage rolls; difficulty class (for any psi-like abilities, psionics, special abilities, spell-like abilities, spells); initiative; power resistance; saving throws; spell resistance; and turn resistance (if applicable).

A true paragon's CR and LA increase by +.4 and +.6 perspectively, but this is inconsequential.

Last edited:

Geraturatu

First Post
Okay...

The Paragon looks great to me.

Btw, I really wish someone would make a wiki of dnd loopholes. Sure I can find a few here and there, but not nearly half of the ones I hear about. Like that 126 attack there... wow, just wow.

Hiya all!

dante58701

Banned
Banned
The Paragon looks great to me.

Btw, I really wish someone would make a wiki of dnd loopholes. Sure I can find a few here and there, but not nearly half of the ones I hear about. Like that 126 attack there... wow, just wow.

Hiya all!

Alo there and thanx =^.^=

DnD wiki for loopholes sounds like something that's long overdue. Given that so many people exploit them.

It would be great for those who want to exploit them further and great for those who want to put a stop to that exploitation.

Not a bad idea for a reference document.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases