New Race for Review - Morphyr (yes they fly)

Khaalis

Adventurer
MORPHYR
The morphyr are a race of tiny winged fey. They make excellent spies and have served both Courts in this capacity. They are often overlooked by larger fey who think them delicate and incapable of difficult tasks. This is, in fact, far from the truth. They are considered masters of poison due in part to the fact that their saliva is a potent sleep poison, making them quite dangerous. Many are masters of enchantment and mind magic; capable of bending the will of those around them. Their magic is potent enough on its own but many of their enemies underestimate them; giving them more advantage. Beyond enchantment, they are also known for their stealth and ability to hide in plain sight—whether it is their size or magic or a combination thereof is open to debate. Masters of stealth and camouflage, one never knows when a morphyr might be nearby listening. They are ruled by a hereditary monarchy which prides itself on remaining as neutral as possible with the High Courts of Faerie.

Play a morphy if you want…
✦ To be a mysterious fey creature.
✦ To be tiny and have the ability to fly.
✦ To be a member of a race that favors the bard, rogue, ranger, and warlock classes (as well as possible later released Primal classes).

RACIAL TRAITS
Average Height: 1.5’ – 2.5’
Average Weight: 6 lb – 9 lb.

Ability Scores: +2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma
• You cannot have a Strength score higher than 12. (Not sure on this. I don’t think a morphyr should be incredibly strong however.)

Size: Tiny
-----On Being Tiny:
• Up to 4 Tiny creatures can fit into one square. However, you cannot occupy the same square as an ally unless it too is tiny.
• You have Reach 0 and cannot attack outside your own space with melee attacks.
• You can’t use two-handed weapons (page 215), though you can utilize such weapons with the Small property.
• When you use a versatile weapon, you must wield it two-handed and don’t deal any extra damage for doing so.
• Tiny-sized gear weighs ½ as much as listed (e.g. a Tiny-sized short sword weighs 1 lb.)
• All ‘weapon’ attacks deal -2 damage (minimum 1 damage).
• You multipliers for Carrying, Lifting and Dragging are 1/5 the normal listed (page 222), thus x2, x4 and x10 respectively.

Speed: 3 (clumsy); Fly 6 (maximum altitude 2)
-----On Land Movement:
• Takes a -4 penalty to attack rolls and defenses while on the ground (not flying).
-----On Flight:
• You must spend a move action to move at least 2 squares each round, or else crash.
• You cannot shift while flying.
• Provokes opportunity attacks as normal.
• Ignores terrain effects.
• Altitude Limit of 2 squares

Vision: Low-Light
Languages: Common, Elven
Skill Bonuses: +2 Acrobatics, +2 Arcana

Fey Magic: You may select one Wizard class Cantrip that you may use as an at-will power.
Fey Origin: You are native to the feywild and are considered a fey creature for the purpose of effects that relate to creature origin.
Poison Resistance: You have resist poison 5 + one-half your level.
Sleep Venom: You can use Sleep Venom as an encounter power.

SLEEP VENOM – Morphyr Racial Power
You can use your naturally poisonous venom to improve your odds of removing a foe from the fight.
Encounter * Poison
Minor Action – Personal
Effect: You envenom a weapon with poison that effects the next attack you make with that weapon. If the weapon hits and deals damage, you deal poison effects as a secondary attack against the same target (the first target hit if multiple targets are hit).
Secondary Attack: Constitution +2 vs. Fortitude
Hit: Target is slowed (save ends).
First Failed Save: The target is immobilized instead of slowed (save ends).
Second Failed Save: Target unconscious for 1d4 hours.

Racial Feats:

HOVER – [Morphyr]
Prerequisites: Dex 15, Morphyr (Heroic)
Benefit: You can hover while flying allowing you to shift and make opportunity attacks while flying. You remain flying even if you do not move the minimum distance normally needed to remain aloft. You even stay in the air even if you take no move actions to fly.

FLYBY ATTACK – [Morphyr]
Prerequisites: Dex 15, Morphyr (Heroic)
Benefit: You fly up to 6 squares and make one melee basic attack at any point during that movement. You do not provoke opportunity attacks when moving away from the target of the attack.

POISONOUS SPIT – [Morphyr]
Prerequisites: Con 15, Morphyr (Paragon)
Benefit: The Poisonous Spit racial attack power replaces your 13th level attack power. If you do not yet have a 13th level attack power, you can replace the power when you gain it.

POISONOUS SPIT – Feat Power
You can spit your naturally poisonous venom at foes.
Encounter * Poison
Standard Action – Close Blast 3
Target: Each creature in blast
Attack: Constitution +2 vs. Fortitude
Hit: Ongoing 10 poison damage and the target is slowed (save ends both).
First Failed Save: The target is immobilized instead of slowed (save ends).
Second Failed Save: Target unconscious for 1d4 hours.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Khaalis

Adventurer
I don't often like to do bumps, but I'd really like to get a few opinions on the balance of the mechanics in this racial draft. I know some people are automatically anti anything to do with flying, but for the world this race is designed for, the race is a staple and really needs to be developed but balanced as best as possible under the 4E system. Any constructive comments would be greatly appreciated.

Bagpuss

Legend
I'd remove the Strength limitation, 4th Ed isn't about limitations. If someone wants to play a MORPHYR fighter let them, it's a sub-optimal choice anyway.

How do the rules for Tiny creatures doing melee attacks work in 4th Ed do they provoke OAs still, do they need to enter the opponents square?

The altitude limit of two squares means it will be in reach on a medium creature with a non-reach weapon correct?

Khaalis

Adventurer
I'd remove the Strength limitation, 4th Ed isn't about limitations. If someone wants to play a MORPHYR fighter let them, it's a sub-optimal choice anyway.
Thanks. I wanted to get opinions on that. With the other restrictions I added for Tiny, it should still work out that a 20 STR morphyr still isn't as "strong" as a medium sized creature with the same STR.

How do the rules for Tiny creatures doing melee attacks work in 4th Ed do they provoke OAs still, do they need to enter the opponents square?
I'm kind of making this part up as I go since there are not any references for this in the books that I found other than the section on Size (MM p6), which states that Tiny creatures have "0 reach—it cannot attack outside its
own space." It doesn't list any associated penalties. This indicates to me that you need to enter the foe's square to attack. Additionally, when you look at an example Tiny creature like the Imp (MM p63), it says nothing about the mechanics required to attack from the same square as its foe.

Does anyone have a better clarification of how Tiny creatures work in combat? Did I miss something?

The altitude limit of two squares means it will be in reach on a medium creature with a non-reach weapon correct?
Correct. That is exactly why I added the restriction. While the flight does allow them the boon of avoiding many terrain effects, they cannot however simply fly over opponents and rain down ranged attacks with impunity. They are just as susceptible of being struck in melee as any non-flying creature.

thesquidasaur

First Post
i REALLY like this.
i always like to play monsters and 4e is the first time i have really gotten into dnd so i never knew there was even tiny pc races. i REALLY hope my dm will let me play this sometime, cause i like it alot. sorry for not giving any constructive criticism, but i don't know enough to convert any functions to 4e. . . but i really like the idea of playing a tiny race.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I only have time for a brief reply...

1. The flight and Tiny size seem a bit complicated. You might see if there's any way to reduce the number of rules associated with them.

2. The Strength limit and -2 damage are somewhat redundant. For Strength, I think it's simplest to just give old-fashioned -2 Strength. I know that's not how we like to do things in 4e, but for such a weird variant race, I think it's fine. For the weapon damage, I think a more elegant mechanic might be to reduce the die size 1 step (sort of the opposite of the minotaur's oversize ability).

3. Sleep Venom seems too powerful for a racial encounter. Maybe make it a racial daily, or have it be "drowsy venom" that only causes Slow, with a feat to cause Unconscious. Flyby Attack also seems too strong for a feat, as it competes with several powers. Maybe make it a Paragon feat.

-- 77IM

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases