Dragon Magazine #365's Character Concepts: Masterful optimization advice by WotC

tiornys

Explorer
(note: this build isn't intended to be as optimal as possible, but rather is a focused build around a concept that will ideally be effective and fun to play)

Davareth the Fighter-Mage

There are several ways to combine these classes, from a wizard who can handle a sword well enough to take care of himself in melee, to a fighter who augments his sword-swinging with a couple of fireballs and lightning bolts at the beginning of battle. Davareth is a fighter who uses his wizardly training to help him control the front line of the battlefield.

Race: Both Intelligence and Strength are important Davareth, as he intends to make plenty of attacks based in each attribute. Wisdom improves his opportunity attacks as well as several wizard powers. Dexterity is important to qualify for sword-based feats. And, of course, a front-line combatant always benefits from Constitution. With so many stats needing some amount of attention, it's important to find a race that adds bonuses in multiple areas. Eladrin is the only race in the PHB with a bonus to either Strength or Intelligence that doesn't also boost Charisma.

Class: For a character intending to live on the front-lines, it's hard to turn down the significantly higher hit-points, better starting equipment access, and marking ability of the Fighter, so Davareth will be based in that class. He'll primarily be using a longsword, so he selects the one-handed weapon talent.

Ability Scores: Using the standard array, and the guidelines noted under Race, Davareth comes to the following stat distribution: Strength 16, Constitution 11, Dexterity 14*, Intelligence 16*, Wisdom 13, Charisma 10. (* indicates a stat with a +2 racial bonus) He'd like a higher Constitution, but needs that 14 Dexterity to automatically qualify for Heavy Blade Opportunity. He can compensate for his below-average durability through smart power and feat selection.

Skills: Athletics, Endurance, and Heal are Davareth's class skills. For his bonus racial skill, he chooses History to reflect his study of battlefield tactics. He also picks up Arcana from his feat....

Feats: Arcane Initiate confirms Davareth's wizardly training, netting him a skill as well as a bonus power. Davareth chooses Thunderwave, which is a great tool for managing the battle lines.

Powers: Cleave and Tide of Iron are the best controlling at-wills for a fighter. Steel Serpent Strike (fighter encounter) lets him pin down an elusive foe, while Comeback Strike (fighter daily) increases his staying power.

Equipment: Longsword, Heavy Shield, Scale armor, and supplies. As a base fighter, Davareth gains no bonus for using a non-magical implement, and can therefore afford to use a shield without hampering his ability to use his wizard attack.

Davareth is ready to launch his career. Now we follow his feat, power, stat-increase, and path choices as he pursues his destiny.

Level 2: Unstoppable (fighter utility) provides a nice durability boost against a tough foe. For his feat, Davareth selects Quickdraw, which will allow him to rapidly switch between a sword and a magical implement, and provides a useful boost to initiative.

Level 3: Sweeping Blow (fighter encounter) gives Davareth another tool to mark multiple enemies at a time.

Level 4: Davareth increases his Strength and Intelligence by 1 (S 17 C 11 D 14 I 17 W 13 R 10). He'll focus exclusively on these primary attack stats unless he decides to qualify for Heavy Blade Mastery, which will require a point of Dexterity. That decision can wait until he's much closer to the Epic tier. For his feat, he takes Novice Power, and swaps Sweeping Blow for the generally superior Fire Shroud (wizard encounter). He trades a small attack bonus for the ability to attack Reflex instead of AC, a much larger surrounding area, and ongoing damage.

Level 5: Rain of Steel (fighter daily) deals automatic damage to anything contesting the line of battle.

Level 6: Unbreakable (fighter utility) is another power that shores up Davareth's durability. The Ritual Caster feat lets him pick up some useful rituals such as Brew Potions and Enchant/Disenchant Magic Items.

Level 7: Come and Get It (fighter encounter) is one of the best available powers for managing the front line, and outclasses any of the wizardly L7 encounter powers for Davareth's purposes.

Level 8: Another stat bump to Strength and Intelligence yields higher attack and damage modifiers, a welcome boost (S 18 C 11 D 14 I 18 W 13 R 10). Davareth continues to pick up multiclassing feats, taking Acolyte Power. He swaps out Unstoppable for the more reliable and often superior Shield (wizard utility).

Level 9: Shift the Battlefield (fighter daily) is another great control power, although Davareth gives serious consideration to Victorious Surge. He decides his party's healing is sufficient to remain focused on his controlling role.

Level 10: Davareth takes the last multi-class feat, Adept Power, and promptly swaps out Rain of Steel for Stinking Cloud (wizard daily), a power he can activate early in the battle and continuously maintain to induce his enemies to approach on his terms. He also swaps out his newly selected Stalwart Guard (fighter utility) for the excellent Blur (wizard utility), regaining Unstoppable and losing Shield in the process. Since those swaps don't count against his one allowed swap per level, he also swaps out Tide of Iron for Sure Strike. Attempting to juggle his sword and implement is becoming increasingly costly, as it's awkward to end his turn wielding a sword (for better opportunity attacks) after using a wizard attack. His shield is relegated to occasional duty, and he now meets most battles with a sword in one hand, and a wand in the other.

Level 11: As a multiclassed fighter-wizard, Davareth has a staggering 9 choices for paragon path. After due consideration, he selects the Battle Mage path as granting him the most benefits. He picks up an excellent boost to his action point actions, and Forceful Retort (battlemage encounter), increasing his repertoire of close burst powers. All of Davareth's stats increase by one (S 19 C 12 D 15 I 19 W 14 R 11). Most importantly, his Dexterity improves to 15, qualifying him for several feats. He picks up Heavy Blade Opportunity, which allows him to use Sure Strike on opportunity attacks to combine with combat superiority and stop enemies in their tracks. He also swaps out Quickdraw for Scale Specialization as it's no longer needed to switch rapidly between wand and sword (although he'll likely want it again later as it allows him to switch rapidly between wands carrying different attack spells).

Level 12: Arcane Rejuvenation (battlemage utility) is another durability-increasing power, and a large part of the appeal of the Battlemage paragon path. Iron Will shores up Davareth's relatively weak Will defense, an increasing concern in the Paragon tier. All of Davareth's non-paragon feats are directly concerned with wizardly multi-classing, so he decides not to swap them out.

Level 13: Thunderlance (wizard encounter) trades in for Storm of Blows (fighter encounter), which replaces Steel Serpent Strike. As a consequence, Davareth also gives up Fire Shroud and regains Sweeping Blow.

Level 14: Strength and Intelligence are again boosted for Davareth's second ability modifier boost (S 20 C 12 D 15 I 20 W 14 R 11). For his feat, Arcane Reach increases Davareth's options with his many close attacks.

Level 15: Unyielding Avalance (fighter daily) trades out for Comeback Strike.

Level 16: Iron Warrior (fighter utility) + Blur is better than Stoneskin (wizard utility) + Stalwart Guard, so Davareth sticks with the fighter utility power. He also picks up Battle Edge from Battle Mage, and chooses Weapon Focus: Heavy Blades for his feat.

Level 17: Vorpal Tornado (fighter encounter) provides an upgrade to Sweeping Blow.

Level 18: Davareth decides he wants Heavy Blade Mastery early in his epic tier, so he puts a point into Dexterity. The other point boosts Strength as that drives more powers than Intelligence (S 21 C 12 D 16 I 20 W 14 R 11). For his feat, Davareth reacquires Quickdraw.

Level 19: Evard's Black Tentacles (wizard daily) has nice synergy with Davareth's many push powers. It swaps in for Devastation's Wake, which replaces Rain of Steel/Stinking Cloud.

Level 20: Davareth gains his last paragon path benefit, Closing Spell (battle mage daily). For his feat, he selects Devastating Critical to combo with the feat he plans to take next level.

Level 21: Time to choose an Epic Destiny. Archmage is interesting, but one of its benefits (Arcane Spirit) is distinctly underpowered for Davareth. Demigod helps to shore up the sacrificed point of Intelligence and has excellent powers to increase his staying power. As a Demigod, Davareth increases his Strength and Intelligence by 2 points, in addition to the 1 point boost all of his stats receive (S 24 C 13 D 17 I 23 W 15 R 12). For his feat, he chooses Heavy Blade Mastery. He's willing to wait to pick up other epic feats naturally, so chooses not to retrain anything.

Level 22: Time Stop (wizard utility) swaps in for No Surrender (fighter utility), giving up Blur and regaining Stalwart Guard. Now primarily shieldless, Davaraeth also swaps out Stalwart Guard for the lower level Battle Awareness. For his feat, Davareth selects Epic Resurgence.

Level 23: Warrior's Urging (fighter encounter) is a nice upgrade to Come and Get It.

Level 24: Stat points into Strength and Intelligence, bumping his Intelligence modifier (S 25 C 13 D 17 I 24 W 15 R 12). For his feat, Davareth selects Spell Accuracy to help manage his large-area blasts. He also gains Divine Recovery from Demigod.

Level 25: Necrotic Web (wizard daily) swaps in for Reaper's Stance (fighter daily), which replaces Unyielding Avalanche. Davareth holds on to the lower level Shift the Battlefield for it's superior utility value to his focus. He regains Devastation's Wake and loses Evard's Black Tentacles.

Level 26: Demigod provides Divine Regeneration (demigod utility). For his feat, Davareth selects Blind-Fight.

Level 27: Cruel Reaper (fighter encounter) upgrades Vorpal Tornado. Davareth holds on to the lower level Thunderlance for it's excellent push ability.

Level 28: Boost to Strength and to Wisdom (S 26 C 13 D 17 I 24 W 16 R 12). This is Davareth's last stat increase, and a 25 Intelligence isn't much better than a 24. For his feat, Davareth picks up Danger Sense.

Level 29: Force the Battle (fighter daily) replaces Shift the Battlefield.

Level 30: Demigod provides Divine Miracle, which renders Epic Resurgence largely obsolete. Davareth retrains that feat to Triumphant Attack, and also picks up Arcane Mastery.

Final Build:

Str 26 Con 13 Dex 17 Int 24 Wis 16 Cha 12.
Powers:
At Will: Cleave, Sure Strike
Encounter: Thunderwave, Thunderlance, Forceful Retort, Warrior's Urging, Cruel Reaper
Daily: Closing Spell, Devastation's Wake, Necrotic Web, Force the Battle
Utility: Battle Awareness, Unstoppable, Unbreakable, Arcane Rejuvination, Iron Warrior, Time Stop, Divine Regeneration

Feats: Arcane Initiate, Novice Power, Acolyte Power, Adept Power, Ritual Caster, Weapon Focus: Heavy Blades, Quickdraw, Iron Will, Heavy Blade Opportunity, Danger Sense, Devastating Critical, Arcane Reach, Armor Specialization: Scale, Arcane Mastery, Blind-Fight, Heavy Blade Mastery, Spell Accuracy, Triumphant Attack.

t~

Last edited:

Shazman

Banned
Banned
This is the same WotC that has glaring typo errors in almost every product they produce, and makes example characters of prestige classes that don't even qualify for the prestige class by RAW. I'd be more surprised if they actually put out such an article that didn't have serious errors in it.

Xyl

First Post
I didn't realize you could get sued for copy/pasting message board posts.

If it's just a courtesy thing, just mark me down as tactless... :erm:

I wouldn't call it "tactless", I'd call it "dishonest". If it isn't obvious that you didn't write it yourself, then you're passing off someone else's work as your own.

jelmore

First Post
This is the same WotC that has glaring typo errors in almost every product they produce, and makes example characters of prestige classes that don't even qualify for the prestige class by RAW. I'd be more surprised if they actually put out such an article that didn't have serious errors in it.

The typo thing is annoying, but it's hardly limited to WotC (or RPGs, or gaming). I've just learned to grit my teeth and ignore it.

I'm more concerned with significant revisions to the rules being released as "errata", such as the overall lowering of various skill and effect DCs and the revamp of skill challenges. You know there are people who will never hear of that errata and use the RAW in the core books to play 4e.

I think it would be incredibly helpful if someone on the design team write an article or two for Dragon or DDI detailing the changes in skill challenges; I'd rather have a separate document that I can refer to, or point people to, instead of crossing whole paragraphs out of my book or trying to remember which sections of which pages to ignore.

tiornys

Explorer
why did you got back quickdraw?

As mentioned when I swap it out for the first time, it facilitates the use of multiple wands to augment the character's selection of powers. It has other benefits I didn't mention, such as allowing me to OA with a longsword (and therefore an at-will) even if I don't have it drawn, making it easier to use a thrown weapon of some kind, and letting me retrieve and drink a potion with the same action.

t~

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases